Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Makvision M2929 dark picture  (Read 5609 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Makvision M2929 dark picture
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:12:50 am »
Mackvision M2929D1G-62 monitor from a big buck safari game.

picture from the computer is dark and barely seen on the screen. video signal good, verified by several sources.

pressing the button to bring up the OSD shows the OSD nice and bright with all the proper colors.

pulled up the service menu and checked the settings in there...all good. maxed out the brightness and contrast to see the video image. still dark.

OSD has seperate input to video amp, but same drive circuit so the color drive is good, transistors are good, high voltage is good then. It's just the video signal.

replaced the capacitors in line for the RGB (10uF 25v) checked the diodes and resistors (all within spec) some kind of 5V regulator biasing the signal?? 5 volt regulator is good. video amp issue then?

ordered and replaced LM1269NA video amp chip. no change.

what gives? Why would the OSD display perfectly bright video but the video from the computer be super dark?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
Re: Makvision M2929 dark picture
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:39:45 pm »
finally got a response out of suzo happ. called, left messages and emailed. got a response today via email...

ABL voltage too low
Bad diode on chassis D21
Replace use 1N4937

eeeeeeeeegggghhhh I don't know about that....I would assume the ABL would also affect the menu image as well, but at this point it's worth a shot. off to the parts store.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:55:38 am »
huh, well what do ya know. I haven't the foggiest why the ABL does not affect the OSD input but it doesn't. replacing the diode D21 fixed the issue.

I was unable to quickly source a 1N4937, but the original Diode was a 1N4148 which I have an abundance of. replacing the diode with the 4148 fixed the issue. I have some 4937's on order and i'll swap it out once they show up.

weird issue has a weird fix.  :dunno

qrz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2015, 03:04:15 pm
  • wrangling electrons since 1978
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:44:39 pm »
OSD is direct to the cathode drivers for that very reason .

can't access the service menu if unable to see it   ;)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »
OSD is direct to the cathode drivers for that very reason .

can't access the service menu if unable to see it   ;)

which is weird because it doesn't. The OSD feeds directly into the video amp (it's own set of inputs) same as the VGA from the computer. a line to the video amp pulled up activates the OSD input. That's why I concentrated my diagnostics to that section upstream from the amp.

After looking more into it, seems when the OSD is active, the video amp "deactivates" the ABL during the small portion the OSD is occupying which is why the OSD shows up fine. the ABL normally shunts through the (defective) diode to ground, when the OSD needs to be displayed, the ABL line from the video amp is activated, the ABL is rerouted back through the video amp and the ABL level is modified. when the section of scanline for the OSD is finished the alternative route the ABL is taking is "cut" and the ABL shunts through the diode to ground again.

Lurning, sumtimes i dew it.  :cheers:

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:43:12 am
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:36:37 pm »
nice one for suzo happ giving you the information to actual fix for this,most distributors would say send it in for repair-and then charge you the price of a chassis for the repair

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 06:36:10 am »
nice one for suzo happ giving you the information to actual fix for this,most distributors would say send it in for repair-and then charge you the price of a chassis for the repair

Suzo Happ tech support is pretty good with this kind of stuff.   They have some crusty old guy there that has been doing CRT repairs for years and years.  I have spoken to him a couple of times and he is a wealth of knowledge.

Dough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2020, 09:44:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 09:45:17 pm »
Well it was 5 years in the making, but I just had this problem in the Makvision M2929 in my buck safari, and your tip got me back up and running in one day.  Thanks!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
 :cheers:

noice!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 10:08:52 am »
Just had another 2929 monitor come in to the shop... exact same problem... exact same fix.  :cheers:

Glad I remembered about this.

If you got one of these, probably a good idea to swap it with the 1N4937.