Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical games on Horizontal monitors  (Read 1788 times)

m.andrade1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2023, 09:56:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Vertical games on Horizontal monitors
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:47:11 am »
Hello Friends
Want to share my experience with you, after a search discover a tip that Calamity pass to an user about change the 288 to 256 on the customs crt_range0 so vertical games can fit exactaly on the horizontal monitor, well, i created a "custom"  monitor and inform all arcade_15 settings except the 288, change to 256, and everything goes right, my favorite games such, xevious, galaga, gaplus, ikari warriors are showing total on screen !
But those vertical games are a little emboss (like out of focus), is there a way to make them a little more clear like if them were on the 288 lines.
OBs: i tried everything to make the 288 lines appear but my monitor is at on maximus on the pot, able to see only 256 lines.

Thanks a lot
Marcos

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
Re: Vertical games on Horizontal monitors
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:02:37 am »
hi, as you noticed some vertical games (like capcom commando and 1942) which are 256 lines in height display ok, but other games eg. 288 height games like pacman etc, with your setup, groovymame has to apply scaling to fit (squash) the image onto your screen, so you get blurriness/scaling artifacts. i don't think there is much that can be done to make it look better; a different approach for the games with more than 256 lines would be, to run the games without scaling but instead lose (cut) some of the top, bottom, or top+bottom of the screen. for some games it's ok, you just lose some 'non-essential' graphics. for other games it's not so good (eg. you lose the score displayed at the top).

I did used to do what you did for a while, but gave up and decided to just physically/manually rotate the screen for playing vertical games. doing it any other way is a compromise, unfortunately.  note: you can add a manual degauss button to any arcade monitor or tv, which makes rotating much more convenient.

m.andrade1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2023, 09:56:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:12:00 am »
Hello Adder
Thanks a lot for your reply, unfortunelly i tried everything too, even and increase on the HfreqMax to try to reach an extra lines, because my monitor can reach tops 16700, ultil looses the sync, but this only helps to reduce the flickering sensation, my monitor really canīt show 288p fisicaly, without interlace the screen, unfortunelly.

Thanks
Marcos

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:32 am »
Yep, unfortunately there's no way round this - you can't fit a quart into a pint pot, as they say.

I run my 288 games in interlaced mode which I find is the best compromise. I hope to get another cab which I intend to dedicate to playing vertical games.