Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How does mame or MaLa select which marquee to display for a game????  (Read 2037 times)

Rattus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 12:51:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I followed a YouTube guide to get DK Pauline and all the other DK versions working on my cab using groovymame run through MaLa, working well, awesome  :cheers:
This is the guide if anyone wants it

What I'm wondering is how does mame select the marquee for display in MaLa? I'm using John's Arcade layout.

I have downloaded a Pauline marquee and converted it to .png with the correct res but I want to associate it just with the dkong.zip rom (which is now Pauline) and have dkong.o (us set 2) associated with the normal dkong marquee.

Is this possible? where do I look?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Re: How does mame or MaLa select which marquee to display for a game????
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:28:48 am »
Mala looks for a pic with the same name as the rom file name. (different extension though)
There's also an option somewhere to have Mala display the parent pic for all clones, which you may have to disable.

I haven't messed with this stuff in a while, I'm a little confused by "dkong.o"
There should be a different rom with a different name for each version.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:03 am »
Badmouth - I believe it's actually dkong0.zip

Rattus - rename the Pauline art to dkong and the dkong art to dkong0 to match the name of the rom zip files and it should work. I've done the same using US set1 as Pauline and set 2 as original Donkey Kong and it works fine (pics below) Mamui64 but believe MALA should work the same way

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 12:16:37 pm »
Badmouth - I believe it's actually dkong0.zip

Rattus - rename the Pauline art to dkong and the dkong art to dkong0 to match the name of the rom zip files and it should work. I've done the same using US set1 as Pauline and set 2 as original Donkey Kong and it works fine (pics below) Mamui64 but believe MALA should work the same way

^exactly this
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Rattus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 12:51:25 am
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 04:00:16 am »
Awesome, thanks for the help folks :) yeah that worked, I had to rename a couple of others also as dkong was also showing for dkongf and dkongx but that all worked and they are all now showing the correct marquees.
It's quite strange that such a little thing can bring me joy, but I'm sure you understand.

Really was a basic fix that I should have thought of myself, thanks for your time  :cheers: