Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Angled joysticks.... just misunderstood?  (Read 5689 times)

wallyt99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2015, 09:57:53 am
Angled joysticks.... just misunderstood?
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:57:53 am »
I just cant understand all the hate for them.

If you think people will find them confusing try these simple experiments:

1. Take your TV remote and hold it upside down. Turn the volume down.

2. Take a console controller and squish into the nice corner lounge. Look down.  Does the up arrow point 'up' at the screen - or up relative to your body?

3. Consider that some people may not like smash tv.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 03:37:41 pm
Re: Angled joysticks.... just misunderstood?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:08:45 am »

1. completely unrelated

2. I hate playing at an angle to the TV and without even thinking about it will hold the controller parallel to compensate.

3. Also completely unrelated.  While people mention being able to play smash TV as a benefit of having the joysticks parallel, angling the joysticks would still be wrong if this game did not exist.

It has to do with how people's minds intuitively work.  They can adjust to angled joysticks, but it's like learning to ride one of those bicycles that has had the steering reversed.
You can do it, but it's not as natural and once learned it's hard to switch back and forth.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:48:29 pm by BadMouth »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:51 am »
I don't even understand why this is even brought up for discussion.

Look all the multiplayer cabinets out there. Look at the drilling templates that come in many of the manuals. Save for like one or maybe two confirmed cabs, EVERY SINGLE OTHER CABINET has the joystick orientation facing towards the monitor, regardless of the position of the player. I would like to think that they did playtesting and experimenting to see what worked best at some point in time. Then again, they didn't create control panels where the outer players were a foot or more away from the screen, so who knows.

You seem to like experiments. Here's one:

This weekend, when I went to Castles N' Coasters, I decided to try this out for myself. My natural inclination would be that yes, P3 and P4 should be angled to the screen in order for things to feel right. They have a few 4 player games there, and I checked - all the joysticks from the factory are installed straight up (no angling).

I put some credits in and I used the P3 controls (far left). I started off by playing straight-forward, directly in front of the machine. Obviously, I had no issues. I then, stepped to the side, playing as if I were the third player and someone were occupying the P1 area. Although my body was angled towards the screen, I had NO issues with the joystick. When I wanted to move up on screen, reflexively I pushed the joystick in the up direction relative to the screen, not "up" relative to me. It the same with the sides. I even moved so that I was standing on the side of the cabinet altogether (you should have seen the looks I got), but it made no difference. You just instinctively know where to go.

So there you go, tested out in an arcade on a real machine 5 days ago. You don't need to angle your sticks.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:35 am »
With a remote and or game controler... you can feel which way is "up"  due to the shape of the controller.

On a wood control panel,  there is no way to tell which way is up.   If you shifted your stance angle,  position. ..etc.. it makes it even worse.

Add to this. .. tbat the controllers and even a remote... force your digits into the right placement / alignment.   Joysticks have no alignment mechanisms.  The panel edge doent count.

Tactile feedback is also part of the subconscious mind.  You feel & react in milliseconds. .. without even thinking about it.   If you have to think in an intense & fast faced situation,   you will lose.  Much like in martial arts... if yoh had to think about what to do about the attack.. you would have been hit probably 10 times before the completed thought.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:36:55 am by Xiaou2 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:47 am »
With a remote and or game controler... you can feel which way is "up"  due to the shape of the controller.

On a wood control panel,  there is no way to tell which way is up.   If you shifted your stance angle,  position. ..etc.. it makes it even worse.

Add to this. .. tbat the controllers and even a remote... force your digits into the rit placement / alignment.   Joysticks have nothing to do this with.

Tactile feedback is also part of the subconscious mind.  You feel & react in milliseconds. .. without even thinking about it.   If you have to think in an intense & fast faced situation,   you will lose.  Much like in martial arts... if yoh had to think about what to do about the attack.. you would have been hit probably 10 times before the completed thought.

:cheers:

Exactly. My own experiment on the TMNT bore this out.

Yeah, you can probably get used to it. But why even put yourself (and your guests who play the game) in that position?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 11:20:36 am »
Quick example.  I have a Data East Cab that I plan to MAME.  I'm most definitely NOT going to use the existing layout which has angled joysticks.  It's a pain, but I plan to redo everything on this CP by filling in the holes and re-cutting stuff.  Again, a pain, but worth it.  Angled joysticks are a bad design.

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 11:34:46 am »
Some people want to learn the hard way.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:11:24 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 11:41:04 am »
Nobody will ever notice or care if you can actually twist someone's arm hard enough to get them to play your cabinet.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:52 pm »
I think the biggest thing is how everyone thinks that they need to lose their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- over it. I actually doubt many people have ever even played on angled joysticks!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »
I think the biggest thing is how everyone thinks that they need to lose their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- over it. I actually doubt many people have ever even played on angled joysticks!

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- gets lost during the planning stage, when it should happen.

The only thing I play with an angled joystick is Q*Bert. You can learn to play it on a non-angled setup, but why would you do that to yourself.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 01:12:15 pm »
I've built (like a noob), and played on angled joysticks, and so have a lot of my co-workers and friends. The general consensus is that it's hard to adjust your hand-eye coordination due to the fact your perception of what cardinal directions are from standing at an angle is skewed.

It's actually a really important piece of the building process. People tend to build these cabinets for vanity first, then playability second. When it should be the other way around. Optimal functionality in the controls is what is made up of the core of arcade cabinets ergonomics.
It should feel natural to handle the controls, and if you have to second-think what to do in a game, you're toast.
Having people play on angled joysticks makes them have to adjust to it and not innately conform to the control structure. At that point it is an engineering failure if you are forcing the user to interact outside of their natural mindset. It's pretty much the whole shibang around engineering for ergonomics and intuitive design.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »
It's actually a really important piece of the building process. People tend to build these cabinets for vanity first, then playability second. When it should be the other way around. Optimal functionality in the controls is what is made up of the core of arcade cabinets ergonomics.

This is why I have a mancrush on you.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »
I've built (like a noob), and played on angled joysticks, and so have a lot of my co-workers and friends. The general consensus is that it's hard to adjust your hand-eye coordination due to the fact your perception of what cardinal directions are from standing at an angle is skewed.

It should feel natural to handle the controls, and if you have to second-think what to do in a game, you're toast.
Having people play on angled joysticks makes them have to adjust to it and not innately conform to the control structure. At that point it is an engineering failure if you are forcing the user to interact outside of their natural mindset. It's pretty much the whole shibang around engineering for ergonomics and intuitive design.

↑↑↑ This is the correct answer. ↑↑↑
Bookmarking and going to quote the ---fudgesicle--- out of it in the future.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:05:14 pm by BadMouth »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 01:19:26 pm »
Well shoot, I'm on a roll today.  Time to sully this up with some trolling posts. :D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 01:21:42 pm »

You can have Haruman, I called dibs on opt2not ages ago
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »

You can have Haruman, I called dibs on opt2not ages ago

Naw, you're HaRuMaN's #1 Homeboy, according to his wife, remember?  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 01:25:00 pm »
Naw, you're HaRuMaN's #1 Homeboy, according to his wife, remember?  :cheers:

Opt is Canadian, so it doesnt matter. Hoes in different area codes bro!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 01:27:16 pm »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 01:30:52 pm »
There's a reason why Opt is Canadian Soul Brother #1, and everyone else is playing for second place.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »
Meh, i'll take it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 01:59:56 pm »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »
Deleted the trolling pic from my original response.
I originally though OP was a shill account just trying to stir ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up.
After snooping at his previous posts, I realize that he probably has angled player 3 & 4 joysticks and wants to feel vindicated.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 02:02:37 pm »
Deleted the trolling pic from my original response.
I originally though OP was a shill account just trying to stir ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up.
After snooping at his previous posts, I realize that he probably has angled player 3 & 4 joysticks and wants to feel vindicated.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 04:29:47 pm »
I learned the hard way on my first 4-player panel. But I've since corrected the error.
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »

Try this if you think it doesn't matter:

Turn your mousepad, mouse, and chair about 25 degrees clockwise.  Now try to navigate a website.

When you have your mouse not aligned with the screen, you end up moving it contrary to where your eye sees the mouse cursor moving.  Sure, you can adjust, but it is awkward and takes time. 

The same goes for a joystick.  You align it with the screen, not with your body.  This way pushing toward the screen is up, if you angle it, pushing toward the screen is actually top left. 

I have a buddy who plays first person shooter games with his mouse inverted like a plane's controls.  That is fine for him, because he trained his brain to have the "world" go down when he pulls the mouse back, rather than his gun, but nobody else could sit at his computer and play it easily.  This is the same concept.  Sure, you can teach yourself to play that way, but why?  Just do it right the first time and it will work for others.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »
I've made it clear a number of times I do not think angled joysticks are the problem that people make them out to be, but I am never gonna advocate for them.

Angling joystick solves one problem, but cause many more. I sure as hell won't play a game of robotron or smash tv with angled joysticks. Is it really worth crippling your machine simply for design sake?

Here is another way to think about it. You, as the cabinet owner will most likely be OK with your angled joysticks. You will probably be one of the people that have no problem with the adjustment, or you will just get used to it. Does that guarantee that every other person who comes to your cab will be the same way. All it takes is one person pissed that they can't pull off a move because their joystick is angled to ruin the whole multiplayer experience.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »
Try this if you think it doesn't matter:

Turn your mousepad, mouse, and chair about 25 degrees clockwise.  Now try to navigate a website.

When you have your mouse not aligned with the screen, you end up moving it contrary to where your eye sees the mouse cursor moving.  Sure, you can adjust, but it is awkward and takes time. 

I just tried and I have absolutely zero problem with this. It is all just as natural, not even a second needed to adjust. If only left handed mousing was this easy.  ;D

On a serious note, I am forming a theory that this only affects some people. I don't see it as a personal inconvenience but it seems others do. I am interested to hear if this test causes problems for others or not.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 05:50:19 pm »
Another test you can do.

Find a Gauntlet machine somewhere. Play in the side position. You will see it is easy to control. Now open up the panel (or the config if it is mamed), and rotate those inputs 90 degrees to match the way you are standing. You will see it is now almost impossible to control. QBert makes a good test too, try it standing back at an angle to try to compensate for a non-rotated stick, doesn't help much does it?

The main reason people are rotating sticks is because whoever wrote the crapmame site thought that they were supposed to be that way. They read that, they see other panels with rotated sticks and copy it.

Also folks, it isn't like a gamepad. In a gamepad you are not moving your hand in empty space, you are moving your thumb in relation to your hand.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »
I read somewhere here that in Saint's first edition of his book, they had rotated joysticks rotated. Is that true?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:11:24 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 06:06:14 pm »
I read somewhere here that in Saint's first edition of his book, they had rotated joysticks rotated. Is that true?

Pretty easy to find the PDF and check for yourself.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 06:07:13 pm »

Pretty easy to find the PDF and check for yourself.

I own the second edition but it's at home. It might be that way in there, too.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 06:25:53 pm »
Apparently, it's in the second version of the book, as well.

And in looking for that previous tidbit, I've found plenty of examples of this site having this same stupid discussion for a long time now. Can I propose that the Anglicans and Non-Anglicans get together and simply ignore any time someone posts this topic for discussion, or at least point them to an existing thread? Otherwise it's the same old thing.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 07:34:49 pm »
Yeah, Project Arcade has a diagram with rotated sticks.  The replacement copy of the book I got from someone on the boards has a pen sketch over the diagram and margin notes saying "Don't Do This!".  I thought it was hilarious.   :)

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 07:39:22 pm »
Blame Kaneda

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 08:20:25 pm »

1. Take your TV remote and hold it upside down. Turn the volume down.

2. Take a console controller and squish into the nice corner lounge. Look down.  Does the up arrow point 'up' at the screen - or up relative to your body?

3. Consider that some people may not like smash tv.

I don't know what is more silly,
 This discussion being started or everyone getting in on it.

@ delusional: even though those mounts are angled, I believe the sticks that were in that machine were still straight due to them being counter angled.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 08:41:06 pm »
I don't know what is more silly,
 This discussion being started or everyone getting in on it.
Well ain't you so cool :hissy

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 09:06:14 pm »
To be honest, I don't even bother pointing out angled joysticks on builds to the builders anymore unless they are early in the planning phase . It's just not worth it anymore.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 10:03:00 pm »
To be honest, I get a kick out of raving about it and it's a little tongue in cheek.  :lol

When it comes to most other things (frankenpanels, number of buttons, etc), I say build what you want.

Yeah, Project Arcade has a diagram with rotated sticks.  The replacement copy of the book I got from someone on the boards has a pen sketch over the diagram and margin notes saying "Don't Do This!".  I thought it was hilarious.   :)

:angel:

DietCoke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2020, 08:32:13 pm
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 11:39:42 pm »
I'll be the noob here - wait, I already am - the control panel on the cabinet that I've been working on has a surface that is angled at about 13 degrees.  Then I've got an Ultimarc Front-Mounted Restrictor Kit mounted underneath that surface at the same angle.  Does that make the joystick angled? 

And Yots... I'm hurt.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 12:50:04 am »
I'll be the noob here - wait, I already am - the control panel on the cabinet that I've been working on has a surface that is angled at about 13 degrees.  Then I've got an Ultimarc Front-Mounted Restrictor Kit mounted underneath that surface at the same angle.  Does that make the joystick angled? 

And Yots... I'm hurt.
Why you hurt, bro?