Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dreamcast sound, video and misc questions  (Read 3053 times)

TalkingOctopus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
Dreamcast sound, video and misc questions
« on: December 27, 2003, 02:17:29 pm »
Now that I have my arcade controls hooked up to the dc, I have some other questions/issues.

Video:

The TV in my cab only has 1 S-video input which is being used by the computer.  Is there anyway to share it with the computer and the dreamcast?

Audio:

I hacked some PC speakers and hooked them up to the 4" speakers from Bob Roberts.  Once again, independtly the audio works fine for DC and PC but is there anyway to share the 1/8" mini audio plug between the two without switching back and forth.

Thanks in advance!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:Dreamcast sound, video and misc questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 02:53:29 pm »
I don't see a problem simply splitting the inputs.  With the audio, it would only be a problem if you were sharing the speakers (putting an extra load on them).  But keeping the same amp, and just splitting the input is fine.

As for the video, I don't think there is a problem either.  But to be on the safe side, I'd check the ground lines from both systems to make sure they have the same "ground potential" (relative to a common earth ground, or to the other inputs from each system).  If there is a problem or you wanted to play it safe, you could use diodes.

visciouslymamed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2011, 08:38:46 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 12:21:32 am »
The easiest way would be to buy a switchbox. I have one that has a miniplug output as well. I think it cost about $20, but now I have 6 S-Video jacks. :)

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 01:07:58 am »
The easiest way would be to buy a switchbox. I have one that has a miniplug output as well. I think it cost about $20, but now I have 6 S-Video jacks. :)

Where can I buy one of these?  I feel comfortable splitting the audio, but the video is another story.

Thanks.

pmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 05:02:01 pm »
RadioShack sells them if you can deal with Realistic branded stuff -- it always kind feels cheapy to me. Should be fine through.

Bet you could find a "Monster Cable" branded unit for $200!  :D

If you find one that auto-switches, please post about it. I don't even know if they make something like that.

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 10:50:29 pm »
Yeah I hate radioshack too but there is not much of an alternative around here.  Looks like I will be making another visit.  At least they don't ask for your phone number anymore.

When I was a teenager, I worked as a cashier at best buy and you'd be surprised how many people actually buy those crazy monster cables.  They may make a slight difference but there is no way I am ever going to drop that much money on a crummy cable.

visciouslymamed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2011, 08:38:46 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 08:42:05 pm »
You can pick one up at about any major deparment store or game store.

I feel comfortable splitting the audio, but the video is another story.

Splitting an audio signal is not recommended as it drops the strength of the signal and generally introduces alot of noise.
Amplification can remedy a weak signal, but you are then amplifying the noise also. Don't split a video signal! The signal will be too weak producing a very dim picture, if any.

A couple links:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=431477/search=A%252FV%2520selector/fd=1/ut=432a10bdf4c616c5

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801178

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 02:05:02 am »
Since it is input and only one signal will be active at a time I don't think there would be a problem.  However, since I am going to purchase a switch box, I will just use that.

Thanks for the links.