Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak is great but having some issues with certain games???  (Read 3588 times)

Adamski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2015, 12:55:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi All

This is my first post on your wonderful forum so I hope this is in the right place.Please dont hurt me too much
 ;)

I am Currently building controls for my first cabinet (an old information kiosk) and have brought an AIMTRAK.It works great with some games (american laser games,most namco games and Carnevil!) but I am having problems with others.I do understand the basics re gun callibration and in mame callibration so I have tried lol.On Operation Wolf the crosshair WILL NOT move in the left portion of the screen no matter what I try.It is like there is an invisible barrier across the screen.I have noticed now that a lot of games seem to have parts of the screen that the crosshair just wont go to even if I calibrate gun in game.
The other 2 games I am having probs with are Terminator 2 and Alien 3.I understand that these are "positional" gun games and have read up on forums about callibrating the x and y axis as these games arent "true" gun games but when I go into MAME config for the particular game and try to set them the gun doesnt register any movement?Please can you help me in the simplest of terms as I am a bit of a MAME controls newbie.Thanks so much and sorry for the rambling 1st post
Adam
PS - Also cant seem to get the side buttons on the aimtrak to register when callibrating in mame almost like they dont work?What should I set them to on aimtrak cal page to get them to work as I have tried everything

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
Re: Aimtrak is great but having some issues with certain games???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:21:32 am »
How big is the monitor you are playing on? If you are playing on a larger screen, you may want to aim a few inches towards the center of the screen during calibration.

For the positional games, did you set the "Stick" to Lightgun?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:50:45 am »
Are you calibrating the gun in the game's original service menu after calibrating it everywhere else?  (F2 by default IIRC)

ABACABB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 12:37:07 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »
I understand that these are "positional" gun games and have read up on forums about callibrating the x and y axis as these games arent "true" gun games but when I go into MAME config for the particular game and try to set them the gun doesnt register any movement?

You need to map the Aimtrak gun to the "AD Stick" for the controller in these games.  Being new, I am assuming you are using mameUI?  If so, click on "Options" >> "default game options".  Click on the controller mapping tab and set the AD Stick to your aimtrak.

OR...take a few minutes and watch tis video and you'll be all squared away.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:36:06 pm by ABACABB »

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »
Are you calibrating the gun in the game's original service menu after calibrating it everywhere else?  (F2 by default IIRC)

Thanks for reply - I am callibrating the gun and on games with the "F2" menu I am doing that although half the time it doesnt seem to work - cant get Terminator to work like this but managed to get Carnevil with the"F2"

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 02:12:09 pm »
How big is the monitor you are playing on? If you are playing on a larger screen, you may want to aim a few inches towards the center of the screen during calibration.

Its 19".How do I set "stick" to lightgun?Is that in the aimtrak config utillity?

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 02:15:59 pm »
I understand that these are "positional" gun games and have read up on forums about callibrating the x and y axis as these games arent "true" gun games but when I go into MAME config for the particular game and try to set them the gun doesnt register any movement?

You need to map the Aimtrak gun to the "AD Stick" for the controller in these games.  Being new, I am assuming you are using mameUI?  If so, click on "Options" >> "default game options".  Click on the controller mapping tab and set the AD Stick to your aimtrak.

OR...take a few minutes and watch tis video and you'll be all squared away.

Thanks - I will check this out when I have a min.Wifes B/Day tomorrow so cant get this time!I am sure I tried this and the gun wouldnt register on the config menu.Yes I am running mameUI - how did you guess  ???
Any thoughts about the Operation Wolf problem?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:32:56 pm »
Is your monitor widescreen or 4:3 format?

If it's a widescreen monitor and the monitor itself is stretching the 4:3 image instead of having black bars on the sides, I can see that being an issue.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:55:35 pm »

Its 19".How do I set "stick" to lightgun?Is that in the aimtrak config utillity?

You shouldn't get the "can't get to the corner" issue on a 19" screen.  Do you have this issue with the mouse pointer on your desktop as well or does it only happen in certain games?

No, like ABACABB said, In MAME UI, try right clicking on the game and then clicking on the Controller Mapping tab. It should look something like this. 

Make sure AD stick is set to lightgun for positional games like T2.

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:43 am »
Hi and TY for the replies!
I have got T2 and Alien the gun working BUT am still having problems with the aimtrak crosshair not going into certain areas of the screen in certain games.It is a normal 19" monitor.I thought it could have been the bezels being enabled but switching them off makes no difference.Worst offender is operation wolf but when I play this on my hyperspin "shotgun games" it works fine on the whole screen.Could it be that the sensor bar is too far from the screen?Its 8cm and angles upwards about 20 degrees due to my cab.If this was the case tho then why does it work in the version of Mame that runs the shotgun games frontend?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 11:20:00 am »
When you stand in the spot you play from, do you have the same issue on the desktop with the mouse pointer?
Is there a calibration screen in Operation Wolf?

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:51:57 am »
When you stand in the spot you play from, do you have the same issue on the desktop with the mouse pointer?
Is there a calibration screen in Operation Wolf?

No problems with mouse pointer and there isnt a cal screen for Op Wolf AFAIK.It suggests a problem with MAME but I am racking my brains to find something in settings that only affects certain games

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 02:01:00 pm »
Right - I upgraded to MameUI64 0.160 from 0.158 and the gun games work MUCH better apart from now Operation Wolf has a glitch with the grenades.When I press my side button on the Aimtrak the grenade disappears from my stock and it makes an explosion noise but no damage to anything on screen?
Ideas anyone or can someone point me towards a vesion of Mame that works great with Op Wolf as I am now beginning to think its a bug in the version of Mame or something.Help appreciated as I am slowly losing what hair I have  :scared

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 02:45:39 pm »
Does the grenade do the same thing when you map it to a button on your keyboard?  Maybe try clearing the NVRAM for Op Wolf. I've never had a problem with the game though I'll try it later on a newer MAME.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 06:51:36 pm »
Works fine for me on 0.159.

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 11:34:00 am »
Thanks for reply.I have sent you an Email  :cheers:

Adamski

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:17 am »
Thanks to all who gave ideas as to what was wrong and special thanks to Darth Marino for the tech help.All I need to do now is fettle with the games to stop the dredded stutter but at least the Aimtrak works fine now!
Upgraded to mame 0.161 and mapped the trigger to GP1 and side button to GP2 on the Aimtrack config utillity  :)