Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't get my IPAC to work with my RASPBERRY PIE + EMULATION STATION  (Read 10298 times)

corrupt27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 09:46:35 am
Good Day guys,

My brother had a few raspberry pies laying around and decided to build a bartop arcade. He wanted to be able to play multiple emulators including Mame, NES, SUPER NES and so on. So he bought some arcade buttons and an i-pac 2 and decided to use emulationstation.

The raspberry pie is connected via hdmi to tv and one usb to a keyboard and the other to the IPAC.

The only issue,well our current issue, is that emulationstation and the emulators (well NES emulator the only emulator i have roms for) doesn't detect the ipac buttons. When attempting to assigning the buttons to the ipac throught the emulationstations menus it does not detect the button presses.

I have not made any changes to the IPAC settings. So it is configured to the MAME settings. I have 2 players setup and the arrow keys that are used for player two do not work nor do the regular alphabetical letters.

I am able to exit emulationstation to the terminal and the IPAC does work on the terminal.

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?
Thank you for the help. :banghead:

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
Re: Can't get my IPAC to work with my RASPBERRY PIE + EMULATION STATION
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:57:09 pm »
Does the iPAC work on a PC? You can easily configure the iPAC on a PC using the Ultimarc software...

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:04:10 pm »
Is emulation station configured to use a keyboard?

*shrug*

So I went to the emulationstation website, towards the bottom is a reminder in a large font to setup controls in the emulator.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:12:42 pm by Generic Eric »

corrupt27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:27 pm »
Hey guys. Yes it works on a PC and it also works on the raspberry PI. If I go into the terminal (similar to DOS) I can see the keyboard presses from the IPAC. But when logging into the emulationstation the IPAC keyboard presses do not work. But i am able to use the keyboard that is also attached to the raspberry PI.

Thank you Generic Eric but i still have an issue with using the IPAC in the emulationstation itself. Its just weird that the keyboard works correctly in both the emulator and the emulationstation but the exact same keyboard presses on the IPAC do not work. I thought the IPAC acted like a keyboard?

Thank you for the help

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:27:51 pm »
how many usb devices are connected? Are you swapping from the keyboard at boot to the ipac?  Are you using a hub?

Finally, can you operate 2 keyboards  at the same time on on of these? 

corrupt27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:39:11 pm »
Good questions let me try that. They are currently attached directly to the raspberry pi. So the PI has 2 on board usb ports and both are on together. I have attempted to boot with only the IPAC but that did not work. I will try to connect 2 keyboards to see what happens.

thank you

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:34:56 pm »
Good questions let me try that. They are currently attached directly to the raspberry pi. So the PI has 2 on board usb ports and both are on together. I have attempted to boot with only the IPAC but that did not work. I will try to connect 2 keyboards to see what happens.

thank you
maybe switch  them? Perhaps the program is coded to look at the first usb port first?

corrupt27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:50:34 am »
Good Day Guys,

Ok so i tried switching them, only having the IPAC and also plugging in 2 keyboards.

With 2 keyboards hooked up they both work.
 What i have noticed is that the emulation station thinks the IPAC is a gamepad not a keyboard.When going into the configure input and the ipac is attached it detects it as a joystick.  I am going to try the emulation station forum and see if they can help me out. But if you guys can think of anything please let me know. Thank you