Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie here, How do I set up a favorites list for MAME in MA.  (Read 13333 times)

jamesrobotron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2015, 05:15:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie here, How do I set up a favorites list for MAME in MA.
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:52:44 pm »
Hi, I have a professionally set up MAME system in a Ms. Pac. cocktail.  I still don't know how to create a favorites list for MAME games so I don't have to scroll through endless games to pick the one I want.  How do I do it?  I've tried a few things but it doesn't seem to save.....and I don't want to try anything too drastic since I don't know the ins and outs of MA.....Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me how to create a favorites list?
Thanks!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: Newbie here, How do I set up a favorites list for MAME in MA.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:11:34 pm »
THe way it is suppose to work would be to go into MA and enter your game list (the one you currently use with all your games in it (5 key on keyboard or player 1 coin on most Mame cabinet) will move between lists - find a game to add to your favorites and press 6 key (player 2 coin in mame cabinets usually) when you press 6 it will bring up the other lists you have created to choose where to add it - highlight Favorites and press enter key (should add it to the favorites list) - repeat for each game you want in the list.

However on mine this does not work as it will not save it in favorites for some reason (ie. it will add it to the list but once MA is closed and reopened they dissapear) Not sure if there is a fix for this or if it is a program problem but what I do instead is using a keyboard enter the preferences (CTRL-P) - go to the game list tab and under sort lists click "NEW" enter a name for the list (something other than favorites) go to the list of names and highlight the new list it creates with that name - Save List - Yes - CLose Preferences

Launch MA and do what was listed above but add games to the "New List" rather than Favorites. Doing this it seems to add them to that list with no problem (which is why I think it is a program problem if using Favorites list to add games) -- Then if you want to update your favorites list go to the MA folder under Preferences folder Find MAME_Yournewlistname.lst and rename it to MAME_Favorites.lst (after deleting or renaming the original by that name (make a back up if it already has games in the favorite lists but sounds like yours is empty) then in MA favorites will now be the list you created with the newlistname so this works around the problem of adding games to favorites but is a bit more work.

jamesrobotron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2015, 05:15:29 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:39:35 pm »
Thanks for trying to help me out.  I tried what you said but it didn't seem to work and wasn't able to follow you, or my comp didn't follow.  It sounds like I'd have to be on the phone to work it out step by step.  I'm very cautious as it was set up professionally by someone else and don't want to mess things up.  Let me know if you have time to help a brother out.  :-)

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:39:30 am »
Thanks for trying to help me out.  I tried what you said but it didn't seem to work and wasn't able to follow you, or my comp didn't follow.  It sounds like I'd have to be on the phone to work it out step by step.  I'm very cautious as it was set up professionally by someone else and don't want to mess things up.  Let me know if you have time to help a brother out.  :-)

Not sure how "Profesionally" it was set up if they didn't include a decent instruction manual or support to teach you some of the ins and outs of the setup ( This is one of the main problems with these illegal sales of machines with ROMS and Front ends already installed.) -- My first suggestion would be for you to contact the person you bought it from and have them walk you through the procedure (since we do not know exactly how he set the thing up - ie. What OS is in use and are there any passwords needed to access the accounts on it, is there a keyboard included to use for making adjustments to the system, what encoder is used and what buttons are set to what (ie. are there any set for accessing the setup menus or does it need a keyboard connected to access those, did he use default file locations or his own naming for files and folders, what Romset and version of MAME did he use, What version of MA is in use, etc. etc. etc. -- Sure we could spend several hours resetting things and trying to figure out how it was setup or redoing the setup - but he\she is the one that sold the machine, so should be the one to support it - if he\she is going to try and make a profit off of other peoples work outside of their wishes then they should also spend their time and money providing support with the Sale.

Problem with trying to help you over the phone is we don't know exactly what is in use (ie. is it a windows XP, VISTA, 7 or 8, or some Linux build used for the OS, What verson of MA and MAME) or how any of it was installed (did he setup user accounts that are password protected with or with out admin permissions on the account used to set it up, What did he use to hide the OS and have the system boot into MA, did he use default naming schemes for the various files and folders or did he use his own naming conventions.

Without knowing these type of things trying to provide support over the phone, to someone without any real understanding of how the programs are supposed to work, becomes a real challenge. (As you mentioned there is always the possibility of the install being messed up and getting it fixed if it has to be redone from the beginning can be hard to explain over the phone) Which is another reason that most members of this forum do not sell machines trying to make a profit and only sell\give them to friends\family that they will be able to help if things go wrong. 

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:50 am »
Are you sure you are running Maximus Arcade as the front end for Mame?   You have posted in the Maximus Areas so if not please redirect your question and provide the details that have been asked for by the previous poster.