Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (Progress Report Jan '16)  (Read 33841 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
This is coming along nicely despite the paint issues. Try painting in the tropics some time.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
So that's why you intricately carve your cabs!   ;D

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (CP Harness)
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2015, 07:41:27 pm »
Chance's Jamma harness inspired me to finish up the CP harness on the cab this evening

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:10:21 pm by harveybirdman »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2015, 03:33:01 am »
 :laugh2: Beleave it or not it took less time for him to carve Out of Africa then it took me to do 3 Cots of primer on beat'em up-X

That is some nice good looking wirring.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2015, 11:08:40 am »
So I’ve been working on the board access panel for a couple of weeks.  I’d say it’s about 90% done now.  I am still debating getting some soft cabinet downs for it so it opens a bit more impressively.  Additionally there will also be artwork on the inside.

I actually cut a panel at the same time I made the new kick plate, but it had been setting in the shop for several months.  Finally I got around to finishing it.  Sure I could have just painted it black but what fun is that?  I mean inside here is where the boards are going to live!  Still haven’t decided how they are going to be mounted, but at least their home and their front door will look nice!

Laminating all sides is a bit tricky, need to start with the sides.  I am really sucking at documenting everything with pictures, but hopefully you get the idea.

I bought some drop hinges for the panel, but wasn’t really sure of the best way to cut the mortises.  Ultimately I decided to just bite the bullet and use a forstner bit in the drill press.  As it turns out it worked flawlessly.  I also drilled a hole for the lock and widened one side to the correct shape for the barrel lock with my router; I then flipped it over and flush trimmed the other side to mirror the shape.  I got lucky with free handing that and lucky with the mortise placement too! I guess the drill press does have fine adjustments for x axis and y axis, but I should have measured and marked better.  As it turns out my eyeball is pretty good….

Or so I thought!  Of course I had too much confidence when I cut the corresponding mortises on the cab bottom.  I just used the forstner bit and my drill.  I marked it with the hinges attached to the access panel but I disproportionally accounted for the gap on each side.    It looks okay in this picture but it’s about an eighth of an inch off.  When I mounted the panel it was sticking on one side (scraped the T-molding pretty good too).  There’s also a pretty noticeable glue remnant that just won’t do. 

As my dad says it was time to, “lick my calf over,” which apparently means to restart something, especially due to an error.   You can see where I sanded off the glue and did other surface preparation.  Now it was Bondo time!  I sort of flirted with the idea to start this in the house but it wasn’t going to happen, that stuff is super toxic fumy!  This was my first time to use Bondo and well, there was a bit of a learning curve.  Maybe I never got the proportion on the hardener right, but that 15 mins to work with is some ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---!  Still I got it done and after sanding the holes were filled nicely (that’s what she said).

I’d like to point out the authenticity of my cab here, I mean how many of you can say you have actual arcade chewed gum on the bottom of your cab? I also found an interesting token in the bottom.  I’ll have to take a picture, the history of these things and where they have been is something that I have always found intriguing when watching someone do a refurbish.

While I had the cab outside with the kick plate off, I decided to fix a few other things, I never actually got the power panel opening square with my oscillating tool, so I put a straight edge inside the cab and used a flush trim bit on the router to make some adjustments. 

Once the Bondo was good and cured, I carefully measured for the floor panel mortises, and did much better this time.  Friday night I painted some of the interior of the panel area, and yesterday I installed the access panel.  Here are several shots from the inside and out.

Thanks for watching, this is the last bit of structural work, short of the actual board storage solution which I still haven’t completely worked out yet.  Tune it next time to watch me modify the JAMMA switcher.  Also the wheels might slowly be beginning to turn on artwork, can’t wait until I’m able to give an update on that.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (Board Access Panel)
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 11:12:01 am »
few more pics

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (anybody got a quarter?)
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:39 pm »
Oh yeah and I got this in the mail last week!

I am going to roll my own rotary switch control to replace the remote control.  This is pretty well documented at KLOV and on several YouTube videos.  Basically the way I envision it working is diagrammed below, do any of you electrical engineer types see any problem with running the five volt to the ground on this rotary switch and using the switch to direct it to the appropriate contact on the board?  I bought 100k ohm resistors to use per the videos I’ve watched to prevent voltage to multiple boards at once.

Get a nomote-6 from DogP so you can use P1+P2 or other 2 button or dedicated up and down button to switch slots.  I think it will work with a rotary switch too.  Plus you can turn slots off and select a default slot to start.  The switcher defaults to no slot active when it starts.

Also be prepared to do all of the ground mods, the test switch mod, and the -5V mod on the switcher.  These mods compensate for the traces that are missing on the switcher.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2015, 01:59:18 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I've seen the -5V mod, but since I don't plan on running any Midway boards I'm not sure that I need to do that one, we shall see.

I'll check out the rest of the info as well.  I like the idea of a rotary switch to toggle games, rather than button presses but I do appreciate the input and will investigate thoroughly before soldering anything.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:19:47 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2015, 09:21:36 pm »
so this game seems like itd be perfect for the cab if it werent a horizontal shooter

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355350/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2015, 10:32:42 pm »
Cleary the solution is to build a horizontal shooting cab... Let's just say I've got a name picked out if that ever becomes a thing.

:cheers:

Cool looking game.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (Let's brainstorm)
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:30 pm »
So pretty much worst fears confirmed tonight....

I swapped boards tonight putting my new Aero fighters board in, which by the way is way better on original hardware than it is in MAME, but I digress.

Monitor settings are completely off from game to game.

So PBJ'S suggestion of a remote board makes sense but the question now is do I even want a rotary switch panel mounted to switch games if the monitor must be adjusted between boards every time?

Would it be ugly as sin to mount the remote board on speaker panel or somewhere else?

So this thread over at KLOV makes it sound like adding a remote board to a K7000 that doesn't already have one might be more than I want to bite off...  http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=253612

Anyone done this?

The main problem between boards seems to be Vertical Hold, is there any fine adjustments that can be made that I don't know about that could help me get to a universally acceptable setting?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:22:36 am by harveybirdman »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (Let's brainstorm)
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2015, 12:41:09 am »
No ---smurfing--- idea what I did but now I have three boards running gangbusters with the same  monitor settings....

:cheers:

Also got some extender harnesses from Twisted Quarter. Soon this ---smurfette--- will be switching!

I did end up with Twin Eagle instead of Twin Eagle II...... don't ask. After i get this jiving I will sell it to a member on the cheap if anyone is interested.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (and we're switching!)
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2015, 11:25:28 pm »
Mini update...

Switcher installed,  board rack mocked up, fully loaded extenders from Twisted Quarter installed.

Time for the first dry run with the remote. Hooked up Aero Fighters and Twin Hawk so I don't ruin any quality boards in test.

Fired up first try.

Will load some better pics in the coming week or so after board rack is mounted properly and painted

Also picked up a Fighting Hawk that needs some audio work...

Oh and you guys are going to ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- when you see what's coming down the artwork pipeline!  Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:51:46 am by harveybirdman »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2015, 11:29:53 pm »
Sweet! Great job, brother!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2015, 11:49:05 pm »
Dang, this is just a more and more classy setup with every update.   :cheers:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (Board rack!)
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2015, 10:38:29 am »
Progress is slow, but the cab is still being worked on.

It is decision time for the board rack.  Originally it was going to be mounted horizontally closer to the access panel so boards could be very easily slid in and out.  However this caused two problems.  Firstly some JAMMA boards, such as the Aero Fighters that I currently have in the board lineup, just don’t fit in the 12 inch opening.  They are too wide.  Secondly six extending harnesses would need more clearance than is available at the back end of the slide-out or would need to be much longer than standard to reach the switcher .  Therefore I decided to go in a different direction, mounting the rack vertically behind the kick plate.  Here you can see where I mocked it up.

At the end of the day I simply just can’t allow it to not remain unfinished, so I opted to give everything coat of white paint, and painted the back of the kick plate black.   Still, it looked a bit plain to me so in the true spirit of BYOAC I went over board and decided to pinstripe the panels to echo the coin door design.  I had some more pics of this, but lost some with an unexpected phone change, but you get the idea.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2015, 10:40:48 am »
With the new placement it makes accessing the boards easier with the Panel board removed, but we’ll still call the flap at the back the “board access panel.”

I ended up grabbing a couple of those PCB brackets that NEP suggested way back when to account for wider boards, you can see one of them in use on my Aero Fighters.

Will upload a video of the switching as soon as I find some reliable WiFi

Peabo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2021, 05:00:21 pm
  • Pinball junkie
    • Virtual Pinball Build
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2015, 11:48:19 am »
I really like that board rack, nice job! 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »
Striping those mounting boards is as awesome as it was unnecessary.  I love it!  Very nice touch.  :cheers:

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:41:55 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2015, 12:25:25 pm »
Striping those mounting boards is as awesome as it was unnecessary.  I love it!  Very nice touch.  :cheers:

+1. Obligatory "Nice rack!" :cheers:

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2015, 01:37:34 pm »
Thanks guys!  :cheers:

Here's a little video

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »
Awesome. I gotta get me a PCB switcher...

As for some replacement boards for the "cheapies" you have there,  might I suggest:
  • Strikers 1945 II (runs for about $80 these days)
  • Twin Cobra (I've seen this one range anywhere from $40 - 100)
  • Viper Phase 1 - New Version/USA (about $170)
  • Gyruss (I've seen this range from $90-150 these days)
  • Galaga '88 ($240+)

This is mainly for older, Raiden style shmups.

For manic style:
  • Donpachi
  • Dodonpachi
  • ESP Ra.De
  • Espgaluda II
  • Batsugun
All of these are high $$$, well maybe except for ESP Ra.De. But I don't think you can find the rest for less than $350 these days.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2015, 07:02:15 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Opt.

I'm watching a Strikers 1945 II, they tend to come up alot on ebay. PSIKO has a bunch of fans in the SHMUP crowd but Dragon Blaze is far too hard for me  and I just don't get why people like Gunbird so much.

I rarely see Cave go for less than 5 hundy.

There's a Batsugun with special version rom up for sale now for 9 hundy... sheesh.... maybe if I was a single guy.... or maybe if I start making some better incentive at work..

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2015, 07:50:01 pm »
Yeah those are greasy ebay prices. My prices are from what the forums have been selling them at lately (shmups and klov).
I've pretty much stopped going to ebay for anything arcade related now. Prices are just getting absurd.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2015, 07:56:04 pm »
I signed up at the Shmups forum recently.  I should get on KLOV too.

Greaseball pricing is for Griff Richers.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »
I signed up at the Shmups forum recently.  I should get on KLOV too.

Greaseball pricing is for Griff Richers.
If you need a KLOV reference,  lemme know

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 03:17:46 pm
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2015, 06:30:14 am »
Man this is such an awesome project, can't believe you actually painted the rack panels. Certainly going the extra mile  :D

Sucks that the Cave games are so expensive, otherwise I'd have recommended Espgaluda, if you haven't played it already. It's one of Cave's "easier" games and has a "bullet time" mechanic that can be used either for high scores or just to save your ass. Great soundtrack too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:37:18 am by WakiMiko »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2015, 11:11:53 am »
Thanks Yots, I'll definitely let to know  :cheers:

Thanks Waki, once I took all the time to pain the floor of the cabinet I knew I was going to have to do something.  After all Well Fed Games set the bar high for PCB racks.  And well I had tons of paint leftover so it just kind of happened.

Espgaluda, fun game played a bit in MAME this morning. It can be had reasonably on eBay these days but I think I'm going to wait on further purchases until getting on at the SHMUPS forum and at KLOV.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: BulletReign: Vertical Jamma Switching SHMUP cab (Progress Report Jan '16)
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:03 am »
So, I’m coming to the conclusion that in order to do things right and be satisfied with the results that my build is going to have to be spread out over a longer period of time than I had first hoped. 

When I started in Nov of 14 I had hoped to finish by the end of 2015.  However it is obvious that things are going to take a bit more time to complete, and that’s okay because plane tickets to Phoenix are higher up on the priority list as of late.
Here is what is left:

1)   Modify switcher from remote to rotary switch.
        a.   I have the switch, the 100k ohm resistors, and a couple of sweet looking knobs to choose from

2)   Finalize Board Roster
        a.   My Fighting Hawk is still sick, need to put in some time to try to fix it but even with an upgraded iron it’s a pain in the ass to get               
                the caps out.
        b.   I still want a Rayforce PCB, that’s probably my grail; I’m still kicking myself for not buying the last one I saw on ebay for $300.
        c.   I also would like a board to justify the three buttons, I’d love to come up with a DDP DOJ or ESP RaDE but the prices on those                 
                are prohibitive and something like Brave Blade is probably more realistic.

3)   Finish art suite (still need bezel, CPO, and side art as well as some decals here an there)

4)   Run power to the volcano add credit button

5)   Either replace the fluorescent light fixture with LEDs or add mirrors or something else to disperse light to the edges of marquee.

But on to the real reason for the post....

I have an impressive update coming on a project I’ve been collaborating on now for a while with my homeboy Opt2Not.  I count myself extremely lucky to have had the chance to work with him.  He is not only an amazing artist, but a large inspiration for this build in the first place as his original Alpha One cabinet concept along with Yotsuya’s Super Spacefortress Macross were the seeds of inspiration for this build.

Opt and I began chatting about what I wanted Bullet Reign to be about and I was able to explain what I wanted the artwork to embody, as well as give him detailed examples of nods to the SHMUP genre that I’d like to incorporate.  You may have noticed the rough draft of the marquee on his blog or on the first page of my thread (snuck it in several weeks ago), our goal was to capture the essence of classic marquees like Raiden and Zero Wing but maintain an originality as if this game might have existed in the early nineties arcades of it's own right

Opt recently completed the marquee work and I have emailed stpcore and hope to get a translite printed ASAP.  Until then I’m going to keep the finished artwork under wraps for the grand reveal but I don’t really like bumps without something to show so here’s a little taste…. 

Edit Who's paying attention?  here's some to tide anyone over that might be closely following, until printing is finished.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:58:06 pm by harveybirdman »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2016, 01:55:23 am »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 03:14:31 am by ChanceKJ »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2016, 06:44:22 am »
This may be my favorite ongoing build.

I love ever thing about it.

Keep up the good work.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2016, 08:35:31 am »
That Marquee is off the hook!  Loving that board rack too. I've been trying to visualize something exactly like that for my Olympia cab conversion.  :cheers:

Thanks! Opt2Not is ridiculously talented! The marquee isn't back-lit in this pic, it's just a trick of the flash, it's just a Staples print which frankly can be quite good for 5 bucks,  wonder who I leaned that from?  :cheers:

The rack isn't as elegant as I first envisioned, but it makes up for it in utilitarian simplicity.   Although It's not secure on there and would have to be removed for any major moving. My only advice in putting together a rack is to try to make it easily accessible.  I don't know what kind of room you have in the Olympia but real estate runs out soon even when you think you have a lot.

This may be my favorite ongoing build.

I love ever thing about it.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words Locke, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:23:53 am by harveybirdman »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2016, 11:33:18 am »
Yeah, that's a perfect example of why it pays to hire a real artist for custom work. Good job to all those involved.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2016, 02:10:51 pm »
That might be the best custom marquee I've ever seen.  Just fantastic.   :notworthy:

I'm glad you got to work with Opt.  My understanding was that he was retired.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2016, 02:26:47 pm »
That might be the best custom marquee I've ever seen.  Just fantastic.   :notworthy:

I'm glad you got to work with Opt.  My understanding was that he was retired.

Totally lucky and worth every penny.

DudeRegular

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 10:50:27 pm
  • I have no idea what I am doing
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2016, 03:54:09 pm »
This is a great project and the artwork is killer man. Keep doing what you are doing.

flylear45

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2021, 11:55:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2016, 04:29:03 pm »
+1 on the art and scheme. Really nice.

emphatic

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:03 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2016, 04:39:36 pm »
That marquee is truly spectacular. :cheers: WOW.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2016, 04:53:11 pm »
That marquee is truly spectacular. :cheers: WOW.

+1 on the art and scheme. Really nice.

I agree! The credit goes to Opt2Not, he took my ideas and took them beyond the next level.  His experience is invaluable, and it's not surprising based on what I know about him.

This is a great project and the artwork is killer man. Keep doing what you are doing.

I have to hit it out of the park the rest of the way to be worthy of the art and collaboration from everyone here and away from BYOAC!

Stay tuned!

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »
Your artwork is just fantastic. Opt is very talented. He obviously put everything he had into it.

The Easter eggs in the artwork are a nice touch.  ;)

Fun build. Looks like your taking your time and getting just how you want it. Nice job man.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.