Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruis'n' USA cab  (Read 4082 times)

fireslayer26

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 09:21:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cruis'n' USA cab
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »
I just bought a sit down Cruis'n' USA cab. Well, it was originally a Daytona USA cab, that was later upgraded to a Cruis'n' USA. My question is that I see the control panel has a force feedback motor attached to it but it is not connected to anything. I can not find any other wires to connect it to in the "guts" of the cab. The way it was explained to me was that they just changed out the chips on the board to make it Cruis'n' USA, but now I wondering if they changed out the whole control board since there is no connection for the force feedback motor. Did the Cruis'n' USA game have force feedback. Where should I look for the proper connection for it?

Thanks,
William

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 03:37:41 pm
Re: Cruis'n' USA cab
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »
I just bought a sit down Cruis'n' USA cab. Well, it was originally a Daytona USA cab, that was later upgraded downgraded to a Cruis'n' USA. My question is that I see the control panel has a force feedback motor attached to it but it is not connected to anything. I can not find any other wires to connect it to in the "guts" of the cab. The way it was explained to me was that they just changed out the chips on the board to make it Cruis'n' USA, but now I wondering if they changed out the whole control board since there is no connection for the force feedback motor. Did the Cruis'n' USA game have force feedback. Where should I look for the proper connection for it?

Thanks,
William

Daytona USA used a Sega 120v AC motor with a clutch mechanism.
Cruisin' USA used a Happ 24v DC setup that's pretty common among games not made by Sega.

My guess is that they just hooked the Potentiometers from the Sega controls up to the Cruis'n board.
There is no way to interface the Sega FFB motor to the Cruisn' board.

Sega setup:

Happ setup:

The first thing I would do is download a Cruisn' USA manual and see if it had a separate FFB board.
Then make sure you actually have the FFB board and 24v power supply for the feedback motor.
If your cab still has the Sega FFB Steering setup, you'd have to swap in a Happ setup.
It isn't going to drop right in, you'll have to do some fabrication.

I had a friend weld some studs to the Sega bracket and widen the hole for the steering shaft to do this one time:
(the happ setup is upside down, so your steering wheel would be also unless re-keyed)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:54:11 pm by BadMouth »

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2015, 10:58:28 pm
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:56 am »
\Well, it was originally a Daytona USA cab, that was later upgraded to a Cruis'n' USA.

Cruis'n usa isn't an upgrade from daytona ;)
Seems Legit!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:57:06 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:04:48 am »
Eh I dunno.  At the time it was graphically impressive and certainly had more personality than Daytona.  Unfortunately it hasn't aged very well due to the use of 2d sprites.  Now I would rather have Daytona... back then I would rather have Crus'n USA. 

fireslayer26

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:44:14 am »
So do you think I should try to "upgrade" back to Daytona USA and get my force feedback back??   ;D

PS- Does anyone know where I can get a replacement yellow start button for the Daytona USA cab?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:48:29 am by fireslayer26 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:05 pm »
Id rather have cruisn.  The easy and medium tracks are fun on daytona but the hard track gives me nightmares.  Other than the Chicago track in Cruisn, I like all of them.

Its really up to you do based on how much you are willing to spend, and how much you like one game over the other.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

fireslayer26

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:34:57 pm »
I do like the Cruisn USA but just wish the force feedback worked.  I may try BadMouth's solution in the future when I have time. Also, how do I change the Cruisn USA to free play?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:02:23 pm by fireslayer26 »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
you have to go into the service menu and change the coinage. It's under adjustments:

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2015, 10:58:28 pm
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 02:07:12 am »
I just got a cruis'n world cabinet. Would any parts out of this work for you?
Seems Legit!