Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (multi-)console controller adapters questions....  (Read 4670 times)

o

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2003, 08:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
(multi-)console controller adapters questions....
« on: December 11, 2003, 07:34:44 am »

Ive been trying to find out some things..

Is it possible to build controller adapters that any controller can be plugged into? (like an adapter that lets you use any saturn controller on playstation etc..)

Are there "Xbox to> PS2(PSX)" adapters or would it be possible to build one?

Is it (ever) possible to connect adapters like Dreamconnection 4in1 and other similars, *end-on-end*..  to do more cross console adaptation, instead of having to make more specific direct adapters..?

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:(multi-)console controller adapters questions....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 12:46:33 pm »
You can generally find adapters for any console to PSX/PS2 (given its market share, its considered an industry standard joystick).   Some of the older consoles (like saturn or genisis might be harder to find PSX adapters for).

So no need to "build" your own adapter.  Just settle on PSX/PS2 as your standard, do one simple PSX hack to your control panel, and now you can drive any console inside your cabinet.  You can even use a PSX->USB adapter to have the control panel drive your PC/Mame setup.

There is still the matter of a standard way of hooking up console video and sound to your arcade cab...see the Game Console FAQ for more info.

o

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 02:59:04 am »

I dont have an arcade cabinet or control panel at the moment, though Ive had ideas of having a central (expandable) box for adapting between all the systems/controllers I want to use (Dreamcast, PSX/2, Saturn, and Xbox sofar), but Im not sure if thats possible

What I want to do is have adapter(s) that let me use any/all controllers from a given console system, on another console system
(not 'one specially modified joystick to any console or mame' as I see is the common thing discussed on this site)

I want to be able to use Xbox controllers on Saturn and Saturn controllers on Playstation/PS2 etc..

example:

I havent been able to find any
Saturn (controllers) to> Psx (console) adapters anywhere  (do you know of any?)

or Xbox (controllers) to> PSX/2  (though Ive seen PSX/2 to> Xbox)

or Dreamcast to> Saturn

or Xbox to> Saturn

or Psx to> Saturn

etc...

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 12:42:53 am »
Why in the hell do you wanna use x-box pads on ps2 ???
What exactly are you trying to do here ?Build a joystick that you can use for ps1/ps2,dreamcast,x-box and saturn ?

IF so then you can hack a ps1 dualshock pad and that will pretty much work with all converters.

http://levelsix.com/detail.aspx?ID=22
http://levelsix.com/detail.aspx?ID=81
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/midwestgames/playps22tose.html

o

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 04:29:27 am »

>Why in the hell do you wanna use x-box pads on ps2 ???

Id also like to be able to use them on Saturn and Dreamcast...
I like variety, and I like Xbox pads better than playstation pads in some major ways and games.

If theres an "Xbox to> Psx" adapter (or if one could be made), I thought maybe it could be connected to one of the existing "Psx to> Dreamcast" converters to enable Xbox pads to be used on Dreamcast also..

>What exactly are you trying to do here  ? >Build a joystick that you can use for >ps1/ps2,dreamcast,x-box and saturn ?

no, not just adapt one joystick or controller

thanks for the links, I hadnt seen the "PS2 to> Saturn" converter before, thats helpful. Is there a "Saturn to> Psx" converter?

(hmm, actually if there *was/is* an "Xbox to> PS1/2" adapter, maybe the Xbox Magic Box could be connected to it to enable use of Saturn pads on PS1/2 without needing another Saturn to Psx adapter..)