Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: help with wiring relay board  (Read 3589 times)

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
help with wiring relay board
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:45:48 pm »
Hey guys I have been MIA for a bit trying to finish this minipin. So complicated, but rewarding. Anyway, all I have left to to do hardware wise is to hook up some solenoids and etc. probably around 4-5 outputs. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/8-Channel-Relay-Shield-Arduino-STM32/dp/B00G8U9OR6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409110698&sr=1-1&keywords=12V+8-Channel+Relay+Shield+For+Arduino+2560+ARM+PIC+AVR+STM32+A045. i'm not sure if it will work but it was cheap. I just need some protection for my led wiz. And I don't want to burn my house down, well at least with anyone in it.I get the jist of it but The jumpers threw me off. I was wondering if someone could show me how to wire it up. Possibly with a diagram. I would really appreciate it.

thanks a bunch
Jay

matsadona

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: help with wiring relay board
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:00:54 am »
There wasn't much information to be found on that Amazon page, so it is hard to answer.
Did you get any kind of manual? Does the vendor have any online instructions? Isn't there any information/print on the PCB?

I found this picture at the vpforums.org (http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=26708)

However that doesn't answer your question about the jumpers.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:04:10 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:17 am »
The screw terminals are definitely NO, COM, and NC, wire those the same as above.

What we need to see are all the pins and pin labels for your specific board.

Ground pin should be easy -- connect it to the LEDwiz like above.

Some pins (IN1 - IN8 ?) control the switching of the relay -- looks like pulling the control pins low (applying ground via LEDwiz) closes the relay, wire them the same as above.

The tricky part is getting the right operating voltage for the relays on the right pin and sorting out the jumper. (if any)  ;D

Here are some links that might help you narrow down the exact connections and voltages to use.

Diagram showing a similar realy board wired to an arduino here.

Schematic showing the internals of the similar relay board here.

Another post showing a similar board here.

One more post with info that might help is here.

Scott

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:29 am »
I guess I could test it before I install it by hooking it all up manually switching the ground like an LED wiz does. Do I need diodes?

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:13 am »
is this it?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:04:10 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:54:14 am »
Found this user feedback for the 4-channel board by the same manufacturer, Keyes.

Pros:

It's easy to use, when you know, where should be connected what. It comes without scheme, but connection is easy:
    VCC + GND = +12V DC and GND
    IN1 .. IN4 = your 5V outputs from microcontroller
    COM = your GND from microcontroller
    GND = the same as 12 V GND

Note: there is a jumper for connecting COM (=microcontroller GND) and GND (=12V source GND), to have the same potential. But this is not needed, when disconnected, the circuit of microcontroller and other 12V circuit are isolated (unless there is any other connection)...

Other pros: red LEDs showing state of relais (on/off), one LED is ON when 12V DC supply is present.

You can see the jumper in the lower left of this diagram. (the 12v board works the same as the 5v board)

Here's how to connect the pins: (from left to right)
Vcc = 12v from power supply molex
GND = ground from power supply molex
IN1 - IN8 = the control channels on the LEDwiz
COM = ground from LEDwiz
GND = not connected

I guess I could test it before I install it by hooking it all up manually switching the ground like an LED wiz does. Do I need diodes?
Yes, you can test it without the LEDwiz.

No, you shouldn't need snubber diodes -- pretty sure they are on the board.

Scott