Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Modularish Cabinet Plan Help  (Read 971 times)

superjollymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2015, 09:26:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Modularish Cabinet Plan Help
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:15 am »
So I've finally purchased my PC components for my new project and they should be in later this week, which is when I'll be able to get down and start building the PC end.

I've been going back and forth on just buying a kit for the project or actually trying to build it from scratch.  So far the kits I've been looking at were the ultimate arcade II over at Northcoast custom and the premium xl xtension cabinet at rec room masters.

The scope I guess is I want to have this system be kind of modular so it will work with a tankstick, a 'pop'n music' controller that I'm going to try and build and maybe eventually dance pads, guitars, and light guns.  I still go back to Japan a lot and there my arcade time is mostly spent on rhythm games / sim experiences.  So I want to be able to try and switch up the cabinet on a whim.  I'm also not sure how often you need to use a keyboard with these systems, but I was thinking about having a hidden keyboard drawer with keyboard and mouse.  I've been searching around for awhile and it seems like the plans or kits I find only have one or none of those aspects so any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

I was also curious how hard it is to use a slim TV or monitor instead of deep crt monitor.

Thanks! :afro:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Re: Modularish Cabinet Plan Help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
I had the cabinet for the tankstick from rec room masters, and it was functional and simple.  Compared to what you could build, it was no nearly as substantial feeling (a little light, not exactly flimsy but not exactly sturdy feeling either).  The bezel is basically a thin sheet of plexi and probably the thing I disliked the most.  I had the regular sized, not the XL, and you could use any flat screen monitor that was 22.5 inches wide or less.  I was able to shoehorn a Dell 23" lcd in it with zero clearance on each side (exactly 22.5 inches wide).  It used a standard VESA mount for the screen.

I am 5'10" tall and I found the cabinet to be just a little too short for me.  The controls ended up being about 2 inches lower than was comfortable for me, but I couldn't say how that compares to original cabinets, the last time I was at an actual arcade I was shorter, lol. 

The XL is only wider than the standard.  For purposes of modularity, if you used the tankstick as a basis for building other controls then it would not be a bad solution, it is already basically modular.

But because of this, it doesn't look like it was really built to be one unit, the tankstick doesn't exactly fit well in the cab.  The retention mechanism is just rubber feet on the bottom of the unit fitting into a couple holes in the cabinet.  So if you are looking for something that is reminiscent of an arcade cab, the rec room masters cabinets work.  If you are looking for something that could be found in an arcade in 1982, build your own. 

superjollymac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:42:42 am »
Thanks for the info.  Honestly I saw the bezel on the normal one and that really turned me off as well.  I'm still trying to find some more detailed pics of the XL, but it looks like the design is a little bit better.  I think my biggest concerns now are just the bezel, the screws on the side, and the open backside.

Curious do you have a skin on yours?  Do the screws bother you at all?  I was thinking maybe I could just swap out the hardware with something less obvious.

The height info is also nice.  I'm about the same height.  I have some bar stools that I'm currently not using, so maybe I'll stick them with the cabinet if I go for it.  Still trying to decide.  Thanks for the info though...  :-\

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:33 am »
I sold it to my brother, and he ended up putting some black felt on the back to block the light coming in from behind.  Before I delivered it, I masked off the plexi bezel and painted the backside, which was a MAJOR improvement.  If I had kept it I would also have made a wooden bezel to support it as the plexi flexes back and forth as you play, annoying the heck out of me. 

The screws didn't bother me and I had no art on it.  But there was no way to hide that it looked like it came from Ikea.  For the money, you could build yourself something WAY better with the most basic woodworking skills.  If you don't have the time to dedicate to the build though, you are better off getting something like a prefab.  You can always sell it off and build your own down the road..

superjollymac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:50:37 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I decided I'll just try my hand at building it from scratch.  I picked up about half the material yesterday.  And now I'm starting to order the rest.