Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Please Help Guys! Need help with game lists in different languages.  (Read 1592 times)

Jigenjuke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2016, 12:00:50 am
Hey there guys, I was wondering if I could use MAMElists in other languages such as the Gamelist for MAME in Japanese which would allow me display the name of the game in Japanese in the MALA front end instead of in English.  If so how would I go about doing this?  Would I just put the Language file in the correct directory in MAME and let MAME and MALA do the work, or would I have to do a little more tweaking?

Thanks ahead of time guys.

Jigenjuke

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:37:41 pm
I'm no programmer, but Mala is pulling the info from mame.xml so you'd probably start there.
The names in mame.xml would have to be in Japanese, but the tags that Mala uses to locate the names would still have to be in English.

You could try to modify one by hand and see if it works.

mlgconverter.exe from this thread will allow you to convert a Mala gamelist to a .txt file and back.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,101104.0.html
So you might try modifying the name there.

I have no idea if either of those will work or if it is possible.
You might be better off finding a front-end written natively in Japanese or a version of MAME that already includes a Japanese user interface.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
Yikes, first thing to do is go into MALA game list editor and open up any list then double click on an entry on the right and see if it will accept your target language input.  If it will then it *should* display as shown in the list, just ensure whatever font you have selected for the layout list supports target language as well. 

My guess is that if you can do it that way then you can either source a program to make your lists then convert them or if they aren't too long just do them by hand and save yourself the hassle. 

bulbousbeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hey there guys, I was wondering if I could use MAMElists in other languages such as the Gamelist for MAME in Japanese which would allow me display the name of the game in Japanese in the MALA front end instead of in English.  If so how would I go about doing this?  Would I just put the Language file in the correct directory in MAME and let MAME and MALA do the work, or would I have to do a little more tweaking?

Thanks ahead of time guys.

Jigenjuke

Big Blue supports Japanese characters, of course.

Oh, Big Blue. Is there any way you're not superior?™