Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie Help Appreciated  (Read 2248 times)

phloogens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2014, 08:54:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie Help Appreciated
« on: June 04, 2014, 04:23:57 pm »
Hello all!  Long time lurker, but finally found one that I am stumped on, so I made a login and would love your help!  I am currently running MAME command line version .149 on the latest version of Maximus Arcade (2.10) on my pc.  (Pentium D, 4GB memory, intel onboard graphics, Windows 7)  I am unable to launch into MAME from Maximus.  I can place roms in the Mame folder, and run them from there, but I get a blank screen and no sound when I attempt to launch from the front end.  My Microsoft Direct X has been recently updated, as has all of my drivers.  Is there anything I can try?  Thanks in advance!!!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Newbie Help Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 05:23:48 pm »
If you are using onboard graphics then you may be experiencing  something I ran into.  MAME defaults to using Direct3D and some onboard video sets do not support that.  I ended up using a command line switch to force MAME into DirectDraw mode.

Go into your settings and tack on "-video ddraw" at the end of you command string.  See if that works.

phloogens

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:42:29 pm »
Thanks for your help!  Actually, I've tried that, both in the MAME config file, and the MA preferences.  Also tried these commands, with no luck:  -video gdi, -no hlsl_enable.  Totally stuck over here.  :-/

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:55:50 am »
I use mame32. Have you tried another version?

phloogens

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
Well, for better or worse, I installed GameEx and it runs great!  Not sure what the deal was, but I guess I saved $25 in the process!  Thanks for the input folks!

jaharr01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:57 am »
gameex is buggy too. If u want to try to give MA a try load mameui32 and u shouldn't have the problem.