Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: how do i wire up a start button for my pc?  (Read 2727 times)

yup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2004, 02:31:15 pm
  • I'm a llama!
how do i wire up a start button for my pc?
« on: November 26, 2003, 02:40:52 am »
checked the newbie faq, couldnt find that there...

BASICALLY...i'm using an old trivia whiz cab, which already has a button in the back of it, which i want to use for the power switch. i want to hook it up so that when i press that, my pc turns on. btw i'm using an atx psu for my pc. i have a vague idea of how it works, i know i'm supposed to have a jumper +wires on the on/off pins on the mobo, but i'm not exactly sure how the wiring/connection to the button is supposed to work

any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

DeathMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2015, 02:01:12 pm
    • MameStation.3
Re:how do i wire up a start button for my pc?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 09:56:40 am »
The button would work exactly like the button on the atx case.  Wire the button to the "atx power" leads on your mobo.  That should work for turning the computer on.

Now with cup beer holders!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 10:34:30 am »
Trace the wires from your power button to the mobo. Figure out which 2 wires it is. You can then splice into the wires or do what I did. I pulled the connector off the mobo taken the new wires (small gauge) and shoved them into the plug and then plugged it back into the mobo. You shouldn't be able to hurt it but try this at your own risk.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

yup

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 02:24:54 am »
the problem is...i never had a power button to begin with (or even a case for that matter). this comp was just thrown together with random stuffs, so i dont have an existing power button example to work off of. a little more descriptive-ness would be appreciated...the last 2 posts helped but i'm still having a little trouble understanding exactly how everything should hook up or even what kind of equipment is involved (jumpers, what kind of wires, etc). thanks

PedroSilva

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2018, 08:37:57 am
  • Grettings !
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 09:42:17 am »
Hi,

The newer boards have an option for what to do after a power failure. One of the options is "start pc" or something like it. If you configure the bios with that option, you can then use a normal "on/off" switch to start the PC.

Hope it helps ...

slycrel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2022, 06:20:59 pm
  • Mmm... Portal.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 12:00:37 pm »
  Look around on your motherboard and see if you can find the manufacturer and a serial number or model number.  You can probably find a manual for it on the company's website.

You're looking for a row of jumpers probably 15-20 pins long two pins wide.  Your speaker, HDD LED, power button, etc should all go in here somewhere.  It may even be marked on the motherboard itself.  Generally they are in the opposite corner from the outside connections (ps/2, USB, parallel, etc)

You'll need to attach the ground wire from the button to the ground pin and the other wire to the other pin.

Good luck.

yup

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 02:03:13 am »
ok thanks, i'll give it a try when i get back to school