Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Howard - Multiple instances of RD?  (Read 1889 times)

enemyace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2003, 01:23:43 pm
  • You repo men, you're all out to @!$#in' lunch!
Howard - Multiple instances of RD?
« on: March 26, 2002, 03:54:04 pm »
Howard,

Would it be possible to run multiple instances of RD? I was thinking I'd set them up like this:

Main instance - Extras list only (Arcade, Movies, Music)

Arcade instance - Basic RD usage (Arcade emulators, PC games)

Movies instance - Extras list only (Favorite DivX movies with a snap of the DVD cover)

Music instance - Extras list only (Favorite mp3 playlists with a snap of the album cover or other image)

A few questions about this setup:

The main menu would have just the extras list which would point to the other three instances of RD. If I launched the arcade instance, and then I launched an emu, would I drop back into the arcade instance of RD when I quit the emu or would the focus get messed up? Or is there a way that I could quit the first instance automatically when I launch the second? I could then have a list item called Quit that would launch the original instance of RD and quit the arcade one.

About the movie instance, is there some sort of batch file I could launch for each movie that would open the cd drive door and then autostart the divx file fullscreen when I loaded the cd? Maybe the player could take care of the autoplay and fullscreen stuff.

And I'm assuming for music I could launch a playlist as an extra item?

Of course each instance of RD would have its own folder and its own skins. I wouldn't be launching the same app multiple times, but from different folders.

I know that much of this stuff isn't related to RD exactly, but I figured that you or someone else might have some ideas on the subject.

Thanks,
EA
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Howard - Multiple instances of RD?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2002, 04:38:40 pm »
All of this stuff seems do-able, I see no reason why it won't work pending you keep all your seperate rd eggs in a row. :)
(Of course I can't say for certain as I've never tried it.)

I'm not sure if you can open the cd door via a bat file, but I think you might be able to make a shorcut to do it similar to the shortcut you can make to shutdown a 9X machine.  I suggest looking over at techtv.com and doing a search for what you want, they have wierd nerdy ideas like that posted often.  ;)

As for the focus thing... the current version of rd never really sets focus as it does a "wait until appliaction is finished then unlock yourself" thingy.  What this means is there's no way to quit the original rd you launched from, but I won't really matter as all fo the resources it was using will be freed up while it's not in focus.  

The only problem I could see would be switching between the different versions.  To increase rd's flexiablity I allow multiple instances of the same app to be launched. If you make a shorcut in rd 2 to go back to rd 1, what your actually gonna do is open up a second instance of rd 1.  So your gonna need a front-end for your Front ends :)  May I suggest party-on.... it's geared for small lists and supports user-defined colors/fonts and a preview shot for each entry.  

As usual I'll give you some omnious advice.

Wait..... when the Dragon awakens once more all will forever be changed.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »