Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 10 yard fight  (Read 3056 times)

deadmoney5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
10 yard fight
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:45:16 pm »
I have maximus Arcade working with my favorites as the main list you see from the front end.  I finally have my list down to about 150 of all the games that I would ever care to play.  After about a week, I realized that one of may old favs, 10 Yard Fight, was not in my favorite list...in fact, it wasn't even in my complete Games list.  So I went back to my old computer and grabbed a few of the roms (vsyard, yard, etc) and placed them in my new roms folder on the current machine.  These Roms are way back from Mame .89..which is the mame version i am still using on the current machine (I figured if it's not broke, why upgrade to a newer verison...I dont care about the newer 90's games).

Anyways, I forced a rescan and 10 Yard Fight did show up in Maximus, but when I tried to run it, the screen just goes blank and doesn't start up.  I ran Mame from the command line and was able to get the vsyard.zip rom working just fine.  but I can't get it to work from Maximus.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?  I'm guessing it's simple :banghead:

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: 10 yard fight
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »
I'm using 0.149 and it is there and runs fine -- are you sure you looked under the right name (ie. it is listed as 10-yard if you put a space instead of the dash it will not show in search ! The rom for the US version is 10yard85 in version 0.149 so it might be a naming conflict with the older version of MAME and your romset.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:54:55 pm by JDFan »

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:52:03 am »
Still haven't figured it out :angry:

I think my problem is that Maximus is using a newer version of a MAME dat file than my romset (.89)..so names may have been changed, etc?  I think I know where to get an older verison for my romset (.89), but where would I put the file?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:59:50 pm »
Still haven't figured it out :angry:

I think my problem is that Maximus is using a newer version of a MAME dat file than my romset (.89)..so names may have been changed, etc?  I think I know where to get an older verison for my romset (.89), but where would I put the file?

IIRC Maximus will use the Mame.exe that you pointed it to in preferences when setting up - so you should be using MAME 0.89 if you are using the 0.89 romset (the version of Mame you use should match the romset you are using ) so if using some other version of MAME you should either update your romset ( by using the incremental updates or downloading a new set) or go HERE ( http://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html ) and get the old 0.89 release of Mame ( from 24 Nov 2004 - so might be time to update the romset as there have been a lot of changes since then !! ) to use so that the roms and mame version match. 

then set up Mame by moving your romset into the rom folder for the 0.89 Mame install and use Maximus's preferences ( Ctrl-P ) to set the paths for Maximus to that installation of MAME.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:02:46 pm by JDFan »

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 03:05:27 pm »
I am using the correct Mame version..but Maximus uses a different (newer) mame dat file I think..which would explain why 10 Yard Fight is not showing up from within the Front end.  Like I said, I'm able to play 10 yard fight from the command line, but not from within Maximus

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:35 pm »
OK perhaps try :

Preferences - Options - Mame - Mame rom description - which method is checked (ie. built using Mame generated xml gamelist) -- try changing it and forcing a rescan

Just thought of one more thing. As I was trying to launch a game and it wouldn't launch on my newer install of Maximus on my desktop - went to black screen as you describe ! and then remembered reading this thread ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,120313.0.html ) which I had forgotten about that showed the following fix -- What fixed it was going into the preferences menu and on the configuration tab make sure the Path to Media drop box is set to LONG -- when set to short if the path to the rom is fairly lengthy it seems that Mame can not find the rom to launch the game. So you might want to give that a try also.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:11:35 am by JDFan »