Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ACT Labs TV Lightgun Part Question  (Read 1778 times)

testicle187

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2022, 09:34:53 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
ACT Labs TV Lightgun Part Question
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:31 am »
I recently got a pair of Actlab s-video out tv guns.  One of them has the male s-video end ripped out.  What would you call the style of connector that it has on it? 

I tried splicing the end with an s-video y cable but I never could get it to work right.  The problem is that normal s-video cables have 4 wires and the Actlab guns only have three.  Does anyone where I can get a replacement connector or have a broken gun with the connector still intact they want to part with?

I attached a picture of my other guns working connector for reference.

Garza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2015, 10:53:29 am
Re: ACT Labs TV Lightgun Part Question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:30:40 pm »
Not sure what type that is but usually I look in monoprice website they have a crazy amount of adapters and hook ups... Just a thought.  :dunno

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:29:19 am »
It's a 4 pin mini-din connector

testicle187

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2022, 09:34:53 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:48 pm »
It's a 4 pin mini-din connector

Thank you for the response and I guess I should have been more clear.  I was aware of that, but I was wondering what I could search for that would yield a connector like the one shown.  It has a male on one side and a female on the other.  I thought a Y Cable would work, but noticed the ACT Labs cable is not a regular svideo cable since it only has 3 wires.  On the pcb for the gun the wires are labeled "In", "Out", and "GND".  When I look up an svideo cable pinout I get 4 wires labelled:  C - Chroma, Y - Luma, GND, and GND.

I don't understand how to connect the 3 wires from the Actlabs gun connector to the svideo and get it to work properly.  When I tried probably 15 combinations I could never get the gun to turn the screen white for calibration, colors were terrible, or no picture depending on the combinations I chose.

Has anyone done this before or have any insight?

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:52:51 pm »
maybe the actlabs gun just has a common ground rather than a ground for the luma and a ground for the chroma?