Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control and other issues  (Read 77445 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2024, 09:41:59 am
Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control and other issues
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:31:04 am »
EDIT:  Fixes found that worked for me

Game freezes or crashes when it is time to render the characters:  Reduce shadow detail to minimum

Game is super slow: Force Vsync off in video card software

Game is super slow on laptop: The game defaults to onboard video, if your laptop has a separate GPU, force the game to use the GPU in your video card software.

I came across a post on steam where the person claimed that both players couldn't use the same keyboard encoder and they used vjoy(linked below) to create a virtual joystick for P2.  In my testing, both players could use one keyboard just fine

Still need to find a better solution for remapping the navigation buttons.
(As of yet, still unable to get the game to work with the popular x360kb files which emulate xbox360 controllers)

The input scheme of this thing looks ok at first.  Two players, both can use the same keyboard.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple.
EDIT: saw some posts on Steam that indicate that two players cannot use the same keyboard.

Before I start my rant, the only solution I found posted online is Headkaze's vjoy program:
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy
I have not tried it yet, but it should work.
You may have to delete all the keyboard mappings in-game to prevent conflicts or doubled input.
(not sure about the menu navigation keys still causing conflicts)

For my purposes though, I'd prefer the game to think xbox controllers are connected.
My buttons are labeled and it is nice to have the icons on screen match them.

The issues:

The game only accepts input for navigation from one keyboard.  If you have a keyboard in addition to your encoder connected, only one will work.
That would be fine, except that to navigate the menus and remap the controls, you need some oddly chosen keys which you might not have set up on your encoder.
Even after remapping all the controls, the controls to navigate the menu remain unchanged.
So I have to move my P2 stick right for accept.  :dizzy:
I assumed this would cause conflicts and didn't even bother seeing how it would work in-game.

x360ce:

The dll file from the stickied SSFIV thread is originally from an older version of x360ce xbox360 controller emulator.
I was hoping that I could just copy those files over from MKK and be good to go, but no such luck.

According to the x360ce compatibility list, Injustice is supported, but requires Hookmask which is only present in more recent versions of x360ce.
I have some experience with this in getting Sonic Allstars racing to work with my G27, but it's unclear if these newer versions of x360ce can work with the x360kb.ini file.  In the app itself, it's not possible to map keyboard keys.

So I spent the entire evening trying to make some mixture of the newer x360ce.ini and x360kb.ini.
The farthest I've gotten is that I get the audible "ding" to let you know that the dll file has been accessed, but the game isn't showing any controllers as being connected.

Autohotkey:  I haven't tried it yet, but being that the game only accepts input from a specific keyboard I'm doubtful that it will work.

I will spend more time on it tonight and hopefully get somewhere.
If anyone has the solution, please post it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:11:34 pm by BadMouth »

Connorsdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 04:28:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control issues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:16:42 am »
I tried AHK remapping but that doesn't work either :(
Also due to the whole windows assigning usb ID's shenanigans I cant use the vJoy setup as this wrecks my dual aimtrak, trackball, spinner and mouse config in my emulators  :angry:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:37:50 am »
Neither x360ce or vjoy block keys on Windows 7, so even if I do get x360ce working, that might not be the end of it.
Those navigation keys might still cause issues during gameplay.  I'll have to test it.

I'm using a key-wiz.  As a last resort, I could install the Key Wiz uploader software, create a different control scheme for the game, and create a script to automatically upload that profile on game launch and reload the original one on game exit.
I really don't want to go to all that trouble for one game though.

It's a shame since I was able to remap all the controls (although not easily).
If the menu navigation stuff would just remap too, there wouldn't be any issue.

EDIT: Does anyone know where the official support forum for this game is?  Does an official one exist?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:45:22 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:32:05 pm »
While stuck at work, I thought I'd try to figure out the "proper" button layout.
There probably isn't any such thing, as this wasn't an arcade game to begin with.
I usually start with the SSFIV fightpad layout and see how that matches up to the default inputs.
That would be:

Light     Med     Interact
Heavy  Power  MeterBurn

The official 8-button Injustice fight stick would be the same with:
Throw
Flip Stance

added to the end.

Meh, haven't even played the game yet, but I can't imagine Interact is important enough to have a dedicated button.

Came across this awesome guide with preferred setup:
http://www.mortalkombatunited.com/topic/119830-995phils-guide-to-help-stick-players-adjust-to-injustice/
After reading the details, I'd have to agree with him.
His is basically:
Light    Med   MeterBurn
Heavy Power FlipStance 

(any extra buttons to Interact or Throw, but those are easy to do with combinations of the other buttons which are next to each other)
Read his explanation of why to include FlipStance instead of relying on a combo to do it.

I find my 7th button easier to hit than that bottom middle one.
The power button is for super powers and isn't used much in conjunction with other buttons, so in my mind it makes sense to put it off to the side.
So here is what I've settled on for myself:

Light     Med     MeterBurn   Power
Heavy                 FlipStance

Throw is Light+Heavy and Interact is Light+Med.
Both easy to remember.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:33:16 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:48:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:53:34 pm »
I-Pac for Admin buttons
A-Pac for joystick + buttons

And stop stressing on all these hacks.  Just move to gamepad inputs and be done with it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:02:48 pm »
I-Pac for Admin buttons

And stop stressing on all these hacks.  Just move to gamepad inputs and be done with it.

Do any of the gamepad encoders support xinput or are they all directinput?
The reason x360ce exists is because a lot of games only work correctly with xinput.

EDIT: list showing games that don't support directinput:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/game-gear/articles/compatible-gamepad-games
No idea how they chose games for inclusion on that list.  Seems like a pretty short list.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:06:40 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:09:41 pm »
The thought did cross my mind last night to switch to hacked fightpads.
I'd have to redo a ton of stuff though and aren't sure about the Taito Type X games.
I'm sure there are workarounds out there, but I'd just be trading one set of workarounds for a different set.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:11:50 pm »
Seems like its worth an email to Andy @ Ultimarc.   

EDIT - email sent with link to this thread.

I've considered hacking up Logitech F310 gamepads before, since with the logitech profiler they support joystick and keyboard in an "all in one" package.  But damn that's a lot of work.  And some systems you just need a gamepad for, period.  (too.many.damn.buttons,axis,etc)

I-Pac for Admin buttons

Do any of the gamepad encoders support xinput or are they all directinput?
The reason x360ce exists is because a lot of games only work correctly with xinput.

EDIT: list showing games that don't support directinput:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/game-gear/articles/compatible-gamepad-games
No idea how they chose games for inclusion on that list.  Seems like a pretty short list.

They list Street Fighter IV (a known x360ce hack required game) as DirectInput compatible.  I can try this tonight with my Logitech F310 in DirectInput mode.  (and Mortal Kombat Komplete, and Street Fighter X Tekken, and SSFIVAE...  I have them all).

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:19:21 pm by Fursphere »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:16 pm »
Steam says I've played Injustice for 2 hours total.
That's not the case.  Apparently I've messed with trying to set the controls up for 2 hours total.  :dizzy:

On my cab, the game is fine in the menus, but craps out when playing the video before a fight.
The screen freezes, but the audio continues on.  No way out but to kill the process.
There is a VC redist that Steam is trying to install, but it just sits there forever and doesn't install.
Pretty sure that is the culprit.  Probably some weird Vista thing or I don't have something else installed that it is dependent on.  :dizzy:
EDIT: ....or maybe it was that video card driver update that I rolled back because it killed the speed of everything else running on the cab...

So, I'm working on my laptop.  I wasn't able to test two players simultaneously using the keyboard because my laptop doesn't have a numpad or way to emulate one and it's needed to activate P2.

No solutions to report, but figured out a few things.

>pic of default inputs are attached (accept and back are the same for P2.  These stay as G and J (numpad 4 & 6 for P2) and do not change when the keys are remapped)

>The current version of x360ce works with Injustice just fine if using a generic gamepad.  Even though the game can accept directinput, if you run it through x360ce, the game sees it as an xbox controller.  This game does require some special settings to "hook" HookCOM=1

>The current version of x360ce doesn't look at x360kb.ini.  I renamed the working x360ce.ini to x360kb.ini and get a message that the versions don't match.  I get the same message when no ini file is present.  I don't think it's looking for x360kb.ini at all

So I went back to using the same files that are in the SSFIV thread.  Looking at the log files, nothing is going wrong but the game doesn't detect the virtual controllers.
You do need to add BackgroundMode=1 like in MKK or else there are erros. 
Another observation is that when the dll file is present, the game also fails to detect a real xbox360 controller that is connected.

This stuff is a bit over my head, but I think the issue with the x360kb files is that they aren't "hooking" like the x360ce files.
(I think it means that there is 2-way communication between the game and controller, but like I said..I'm in over my head)

So, if there is a way to get the x360kb files to "hook", then they might work.
I've tried HookMode=1, HookMode=2, HookMode=3, based on older versions of x360ce, as well as HookCOM=1 to the x360kb.ini, but no dice.
EDIT: from reading message board posts, I believe the dll paired with x360kb is from r444 of x360ce.  I'll brows through the changelog from around that time and see if there is any info on the hooks.

I'm tempted to see if a virtual dinput device generated by vjoy could be the source for x360ce.
That's removing the actual input from the game one step farther though.

I could just break down and use vjoy I guess, but for dinput devices, the game just displays the button numbers when navigating the menu and I find it kinda confusing.
i.e. press [1] for accept or [2] for back.

I could just go the key-wiz uploader route, but that's not going to benefit people without a key-wiz or who can't run the uploader.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:49:09 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 09:36:01 pm »
So I tried SSIV (steam version) with 2x Logitech F310 gamepads, both in DirectInput mode.

SSIV saw gamepad #1, worked as expect.  Did NOT see gamepad #2 - nothing worked.  During play, I flipped #2 to XInput mode and hit the "start" button, and it instantly started working.

So when Logitech says "DirectInput compatible" - they should clarify for Player 1 only.   :soapbox:

(This kind of relates to the stupid issues we have with the Logitech G25/G27 wheels and some console ports)

I did have a conversation with Andy @ Ultimarc about this.  He states that the Xinput protocol is encrypted by chips in the Xbox 360 controllers (licensed by Logitech for use in there controllers). I guessing since the Xbox 360 (and Xbox One) both use X-Input for there API - it makes console ports easy (and lazy / cheap / attractive to 3rd party publishers), while at the same time creating licensing revenue for Microsoft. 

I think I hate Microsoft's gaming platforms even more now.  If that's even possible.  Hacking up a known-compatible x-input gamepad seems like an attractive option at this point.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:37:59 pm by Fursphere »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:00:13 pm »
Not sure how much more time I want to invest in this.

Basically what it boils down to is-

the current version of x360ce needs a way to use keyboard input
or
we need hook settings for the old version of x360ce (packaged with the x360kb.ini) that work with Injustice.

It sucks because that solution works so well on all the other PC fighting games.

I'd rather have spent the last two evenings playing MKK.  I won't have time to mess with it again for a while.
If I manage to get the game working on my cab, I'll probably go the KeyWiz uploader route and be done with it.
For myself, that is probably the quickest and most trouble free fix for now. (hopefully)

Not going to switch out my encoder this late in the build, but I may start remapping all the emulators in the mirrored copy on my laptop to xbox360 fightpads to see how it goes.

If anyone wants to bug WB Games:
http://support.wbgames.com/ics/support/contactUs.asp
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:28:36 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »
The solution is to have an XInput encoder, since at the end of the day we're talking about lazy ports of console games (Xbox 360 games) to the Windows PC. 

Logitech has XInput gamepads.
Microsoft has XInput gamepads.
MadCatz has XInput gamepads.

...And MadCatz has Xinput Fightsticks with encoders under the hood.  The bad is that they are $100+ (some are $200+ wtf!?).  The good is that the ones that are Xbox 360 compatible are supposed to work in Windows using the Microsoft XBox 360 gamepad drivers.  Might be possible to get Madcatz to see just their encoders.  Inside those fightsticks its just arcade parts.  I had a friend that worked for them a few years ago.  Wish he still did.  :(

On a side note, Andy @ Ultimarc is looking into if its possible to write new drivers for the A-Pac to be "XInput" compatible.  He didn't' sound too hopeful, but at least he's kind enough to spend some time  looking into it.  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »
This isn't really the fault of Microsoft, who has tried to make a unified input solution for pc gaming (and succeeded!) but rather the game developers.  360 controllers by design are also direct input controllers... period... that's the protocol, but game developers have to actually support them.  The thing is, a 360 controller has become so popular as a gamepad option that the game makers just aren't bothering to support direct input anymore. 

Unless Andy is willing to pay a colossal amount for a license, xinput support isn't happening. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:24:03 pm »
Fursphere, I'm curious if Logitech profiler works with your Logitech controller when it is in xinput mode?
The Logitech might be a smarter option if it allows the use of profiler.
If it requires you to switch to dinput mode to use it though, that's no good.

I'd still like to find a solution for this game that works with people's current setups.
Although not ideal for everyone, vjoy seems to be the only answer for now.

The game is still fairly new.
There could be a patch released a month from now that makes all the problems go away (for this game anyway).
Or some clever soul could make a newer version of the x360kb files that works with it.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:26:01 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 02:06:59 pm »
F310/ F710 - in XInput mode the profiler doesn't work.  It even pops up a warning and says flip the switch to DirectInput mode.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:26 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 02:53:05 pm »
I had to Google what  Injustice: Gods Among Us  was.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 02:56:18 pm »
This isn't really the fault of Microsoft, who has tried to make a unified input solution for pc gaming (and succeeded!) but rather the game developers.  360 controllers by design are also direct input controllers... period... that's the protocol, but game developers have to actually support them.  The thing is, a 360 controller has become so popular as a gamepad option that the game makers just aren't bothering to support direct input anymore. 

Unless Andy is willing to pay a colossal amount for a license, xinput support isn't happening.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  They had a standard (DirectInput) for PCs, then made a new standard for the Xbox platform, then brought that standard over to PCs with a cute licensing model in tow.  I think it could be argued that Microsoft made it worse.  If Xinput was open, then I would say they were trying to make it better.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 03:12:49 pm »
So I tried SSIV (steam version) with 2x Logitech F310 gamepads, both in DirectInput mode.

SSIV saw gamepad #1, worked as expect.  Did NOT see gamepad #2 - nothing worked.  During play, I flipped #2 to XInput mode and hit the "start" button, and it instantly started working.

So when Logitech says "DirectInput compatible" - they should clarify for Player 1 only.   :soapbox:

(This kind of relates to the stupid issues we have with the Logitech G25/G27 wheels and some console ports)

I did have a conversation with Andy @ Ultimarc about this.  He states that the Xinput protocol is encrypted by chips in the Xbox 360 controllers (licensed by Logitech for use in there controllers). I guessing since the Xbox 360 (and Xbox One) both use X-Input for there API - it makes console ports easy (and lazy / cheap / attractive to 3rd party publishers), while at the same time creating licensing revenue for Microsoft. 

I think I hate Microsoft's gaming platforms even more now.  If that's even possible.  Hacking up a known-compatible x-input gamepad seems like an attractive option at this point.

I am using 2 ps360+ encoders. Just played a game of SSIV, all my controls work perfect. MMK, SF Vs Tekken all play fine.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 03:29:48 pm »
I am using 2 ps360+ encoders. Just played a game of SSIV, all my controls work perfect. MMK, SF Vs Tekken all play fine.

http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/

That's a $60 per player encoder that is listed as Xbox 360 compatible - so its XInput compatible.  I'd expect it to work, but damn its expensive.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:33:25 pm by Fursphere »

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »

That's a $60 per player encoder that is listed as Xbox 360 compatible - so its XInput compatible.  I'd expect it to work, but damn its expensive.

Yep it is, but worth it. No headaches of hacking controllers. Plus I can use a dreamcast, ps2, ps3, xbox, xbox 360 and pc. I have a 4 port kvm switch, so If I really want to, I can run 3 consoles and a pc in my cab.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »

Yep it is, but worth it. No headaches of hacking controllers. Plus I can use a dreamcast, ps2, ps3, xbox, xbox 360 and pc. I have a 4 port kvm switch, so If I really want to, I can run 3 consoles and a pc in my cab.

Just to be clear - you tested both player 1 and player 2 (at the same time)?   I only ask because player 1 in those games works with DirectInput just fine... its player 2 that's the problem.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »

Does the PC detect it as an xbox controller so that the game displays the xbox buttons?

In the manual, it says "PC/PS3 are now one and the same, there is no PC mode, only an adjusted PS3
mode that takes care of both."

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control issues
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:13 pm »

Just to be clear - you tested both player 1 and player 2 (at the same time)?   I only ask because player 1 in those games works with DirectInput just fine... its player 2 that's the problem.
https://db.tt/b30PPcVJ

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 09:13:54 pm »
Pc detects them as xbox 360 controllers

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
Just tried it with ttx and ttx2, seems to work ok.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 09:51:01 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to verify.   :cheers:

With lack of other options - seems like it might be the current solution?  (not-withstanding software hacks like x360ce)

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:06 pm »

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control issues
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 10:08:11 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to verify.   :cheers:

With lack of other options - seems like it might be the current solution?  (not-withstanding software hacks like x360ce)
No problem at all :D Glad I could help, its nice to be helping instead of being helped for once. I dont have injustice for pc yet. I probably wont until the price drops. I have it on my 360 already. The other day I got kof stream edition. It also works with that. I can check other games/emulators if need be. I am not the best at soldering, so these encoders seemed like the logical thing to get.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:17 am »
Thanks.

Now I'm not even sure that the game will be playable on my cab anyway.  :(
It freezes part of the way into the start of a match.
(when the bats are scattering to reveal batman for example)
It also freezes if I let it sit and it tries to play the attract video.
Basically when it's time to render the characters....

If I turn the video settings all the way down to 640x480 windowed and disable all the effects, the game will play, but way too slow to be playable.
When I let the game determine the best settings, it sets it to 1280x720 with most things enabled, but those settings cause it to freeze.

The strange part is that the game also runs unbearably slow on my 3.4Ghz i7/550M laptop unless I turn the resolution way down and run it windowed.
I know it's a laptop, but it's never failed to run anything that has been thrown at it.

I'm thinking video driver issue, but last time I updated the one on the cab it made the more demanding games in Demul and MAME unplayable.
Guess I'll see if there is an update for the laptop and if it makes a difference.

EDIT
Solutions found online, but not tried yet:
> Turn Vsync off  (seems to fix slowdown for a lot of people)
> Turn Shadows off (seems to fix crashes)
> On laptops, the game will default to the onboard video instead of GPU.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:45:29 am by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 10:31:35 am »
That seems to be a new thing with "gaming" laptops. The high end video card ONLY works with an external display.  Kind of defeats the purpose.

My buddy was ready to smash the brand new one he bought last year when he figured that out. Deceptive marketing much?    :(

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 05:14:55 pm »
According to the x360ce compatibility list, Injustice is supported, but requires Hookmask which is only present in more recent versions of x360ce.
I have some experience with this in getting Sonic Allstars racing to work with my G27, but it's unclear if these newer versions of x360ce can work with the x360kb.ini file.  In the app itself, it's not possible to map keyboard keys.

The compat list shows Injustice in the exact same group of games as the Street Figther series.

Why then do you suspect it has different requirements to use with the x360 pad emulator?
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »
The vsync and shadow fixes mentioned worked on my cab.  The game is fully playable and runs full speed now.
It does have a little tearing, but I guess that's a minor inconvenience.  It has a few options for refresh rate, so maybe that will get rid of it.

The compat list shows Injustice in the exact same group of games as the Street Figther series.

Why then do you suspect it has different requirements to use with the x360 pad emulator?

I dunno, but that's a good point.  I tried using the other .dll files from the current build, but didn't try renaming the original one that comes with x360kb.ini like I did for SSFIVAE.  I will mess around with that angle some more when I get time.  I might not get to it until the weekend.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 08:22:27 pm »
I dunno, but that's a good point.  I tried using the other .dll files from the current build, but didn't try renaming the original one that comes with x360kb.ini like I did for SSFIVAE.  I will mess around with that angle some more when I get time.  I might not get to it until the weekend.
That might lead somewhere.  Remember that SFIVAE uses xinput9_1_0.dll, whereas the other two SF games and MK all use xinput1_3.dll, so Injustice might be in the same boat.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 09:46:40 pm »
That might lead somewhere.  Remember that SFIVAE uses xinput9_1_0.dll, whereas the other two SF games and MK all use xinput1_3.dll, so Injustice might be in the same boat.

Didn't work.  :(
Now that the game is running on the cab, I can't give up on the controls.

Although I would prefer the x-input buttons showing up, after a few more tries I'm going to move on to vjoy.
The only issue I foresee possibly arising with vjoy would be that it doesn't block the keys in Vista or Win7, so the inputs hooked up to the hardcoded navigation keys will still active while playing.  Guess I'll find out.  It would be the same way with x360kb, if we could get it working.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control and other issues
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »
I may be asking the obvious but, did you make sure to map all keyboard keys to unused keys in your encoder?
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:57 pm »
I may be asking the obvious but, did you make sure to map all keyboard keys to unused keys in your encoder?

The keys that are used for navigation are hard coded and cannot be remapped.
The G key is accept and the J key is back.
It doesn't matter what you map any of the keys to, G will always work as accept and J will always work as back.
(numpad 4 and 6 for Player 2)
All the fighting controls can be remapped, but it doesn't carry over to the menu navigation.

I haven't actually played a game yet to see if it causes issues during a fight, just making a note that it may be an issue that needs addressed.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 10:29:29 pm »
Alright.  I hope  you can get this to work.  I haven't bought the game yet.  I'm still waiting for a sizable price drop but really need the means to play it with my iPac.

Good luck!
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:16 pm »
It's the same deal it MKKE afaik.....  I've been using gamepads with the game... it won't run on my current rig. 

Since they are hardcoded, it should be a simple matter of a hex edit..... We just need to know the input method the game is using. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:00 pm »
Did you guys see this:

http://www.xgaming.com/support/questions/137/Mortal+Kombat+Komplete+Edition+PC+Setup

It should apply to injustice as well

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:37 pm »
That is the same x360 pad emulator everyone is using for SF games and MKKE.  I have MKKE working without issues on my arcade machine's PC.
I can help you set that one up.

MKKE turned out to be the trickiest one to set up.
You can see my instructions here.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:02:24 pm by TheManuel »
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:24 pm »
BadMouth:

One more thing for you to check: make sure you have set up backgroundmode to 1 in the ini file.  This was required for the hack to work on MKKE.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 09:19:00 am »
Did you guys see this:

http://www.xgaming.com/support/questions/137/Mortal+Kombat+Komplete+Edition+PC+Setup

It should apply to injustice as well

Hadn't seen that, but the download link is for the same files as are used for SSFIV.
I'm using those in almost every PC game on my cab, including MKK and they work great.
But they aren't working with Injustice.  (It worked for SSFIV, SSFIVAE, SFxTekken, & MKK without much trouble)

When I got the game, I assumed that I would just copy the files over from my MKK folder and be good to go.
No such luck.

BadMouth:

One more thing for you to check: make sure you have set up backgroundmode to 1 in the ini file.  This was required for the hack to work on MKKE.

Yup, tried 0, 1.  Tried 2 and 3 just in case they did something.  :lol

The current version of x360ce has another file that contains this type of info:
Name = Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
HookMask = 0x00000002
I thought if it had a different address for SSFIV or MKk, then we might be onto something, but they are the same.  :-\

I would love it if I were just making some stupid mistake and someone else figured out the correct settings to make it work.
The only posts I've come across online are about it not working.  Someone with more knowledge than me has to be in the same situation.  :lol

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 09:23:28 am »
Yup, tried 0, 1.  Tried 2 and 3 just in case they did something.  :lol
:)

Well, you get credit for effort.  I wonder if DeLuSioNal29 has given this a try and has something to contribute to the cause.
I'm sure somebody will figure it out before long.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:18 am »
Like I say, I'm more persistent than good.  ;D
I feel like I've tried every permutation and every mix of old and new versions. 
(because the current version of x360ce works fine with Injustice, but it doesn't accept keyboard input)

You can see my instructions here.

That info should be copied to the first post of the stickied SSFIV thread.  :cheers:

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 09:36:51 am »
(because the current version of x360ce works fine with Injustice, but it doesn't accept keyboard input)

When you say "works fine", what does it actually do, if the whole purpose of the app is to allow usage of the keyboard?
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:15 am »

When you say "works fine", what does it actually do, if the whole purpose of the app is to allow usage of the keyboard?

The purpose of x360ce is to allow use of a dinput gamepad on games that only support xinput.

The x360kb files from the xarcade site are an alternative ini file paired with an early version of x360ce that did allow for keyboard support.
(r444 from what I've been able to find out)
That type of alternative ini file is not supported in the current version.  I bugged the devs, but they don't seem to have much interest in incorporating keyboard support.

When I say the current version works fine, I mean it works as intended with a dinput gamepad.
Injustice supports dinput controllers anyway, but if you use x360ce, it will pick them up as xbox controllers and display the xbox buttons.
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:56 am »
The purpose of x360ce is to allow use of a dinput gamepad on games that only support xinput.

I see.  Thanks for the explanation.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 10:04:55 am »
The pdf guide available here mentions the way some things "were done in previous versions"
http://ngemu.com/threads/various-x360ce-guides-by-resolutespider5.156807/

This part caught my eye:
Hooking alters the messaging between the system dinput8.dll, and the game or

Before x360ce Library R574 (3.3.1.574) it would have looked something like this:

[InputHook]

HookMode=1

I did try adding
[InputHook]
HookMode=1   (and 2..and 3...and 4)

before, but I did not have dinput8.dll present.
I downloaded an old version of x360ce and do have that file.
One more thing to try.....

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:31:27 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:16 am »
Somewhere in my travels, I picked up the source code for x360kb.
I don't even know where it's from.
Attaching it in case useful.

(as a layman browsing through it, I don't see anyplace where it looks for HookMode or anything else in the ini file other than what's in the included one)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:27:01 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 12:48:26 pm »
Well I don't have injustice, but I poked around in MKKE and like most games, there is a simple 2 byte section in memory that controls input.  If you send the appropriate value to the section the corresponding buttons are pressed, regardless of if you are in joystick mode or keyboard mode. 

Now if a person were to NOP the section of code in memory that the keyboard uses to write to this address and write a wrapper to monitor keypresses and write directly to the memory section all problems would be solved.  In other words exactly what I did with troubleshooter 2.   

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 01:03:51 pm »
Would a wrapper add noticeable lag to the inputs?
Not that I'm that subtle of a player in any fighting games...
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »
Well that's the thing... I don't know.  Even though fighter nerds sware up and down that fighting games are ultra responsive, a typical video game only polls the inputs around once every 66 milliseconds, which is an eternity in computer time.  (If the game uses active polling that is). 

It shouldn't be a problem to do a tight loop and do it that quickly, probably much quicker, but if we are talking about millisecond precision, I dunno if that is possible. 

I also don't know if it would effect online play... some games kill online mode if they detect any "hacking".  I don't use online play... it's a frikkin fighting game, but for those that do....

Connorsdad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 01:27:13 pm »
Quietly sitting on the side lines here, only because I wouldn't know where to start with what you guys are doing. Just a quick post to say thanks and show my appreciation :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
Well that's the thing... I don't know.  Even though fighter nerds sware up and down that fighting games are ultra responsive, a typical video game only polls the inputs around once every 66 milliseconds, which is an eternity in computer time.  (If the game uses active polling that is). 
It's probably not a concern for us normal people, then.
I wonder if brute-force hex-editing the exe or some other files would allow us to change keyboard key assignments, like is possible with some Taito Type X games.

Quietly sitting on the side lines here, only because I wouldn't know where to start with what you guys are doing. Just a quick post to say thanks and show my appreciation :)
We'll get you and Connor beating up each other's superheroes in no time.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:53 pm »
It's absolutely possible, to look for the hex values and replace them, but mkke.exe is a massive exe relatively speaking and it pulls much of it's code from any number of scripts contained within the xxx files.

Now if I know what method of input it's using for the keyboard (believe it or not xinput also has a keyboard function, in addition to more traditional methods), then it would be easier to find them, but it would still be difficult.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »
Just as a tip for anyone wanting to poke around in the exe...

The hex code for a upper-case "G" (and the virtual code, which is case-insensitive) is 0x47
Lower case is 0x67

This is most likely the values they are using... 99% of the time keyboard input methods adhere to this. 

*edit*   

To give some context when searching, 0xD  = Enter/Return
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:15:57 pm by Howard_Casto »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 03:15:06 pm »
The price has dropped to $25 on the Steam store if anyone wants to join in on the fun.
I probably won't have time to mess with it again until Sunday.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:17:04 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 03:33:03 pm »
Wow..  that was quick.  It was $50 yesterday.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 03:34:32 pm »
Heck, it was $50 this morning.  It won't be long before it drops below $20, like most other games.
"The Manuel"

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »
I too saw it for a higher price this am.

If they can afford to do 50% off now, will it be cheaper during the winter sale?  I am really kicking myself for not getting MKKE @ $9.99.

Kudos by the way.  I would have given up a long time ago.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »
Didn't drop quite as fast as MKK.

It was $37 last week for the Steam autumn sale.
That's when I bought it.

I was originally waiting for it to hit $20, but after getting into Mortal Kombat Komplete and liking it so much,
I thought I'd reward the developers buy paying a little more for their next game.
How silly I was.

EDIT:
Kudos by the way.  I would have given up a long time ago.

I could have it working completely anytime I want by giving in and using a combination of Key-Wiz uploader and vjoy.
That's not the way I want it to work though.   :lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:46:08 pm by BadMouth »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2013, 04:20:17 pm »
I was originally waiting for it to hit $20, but after getting into Mortal Kombat Komplete and liking it so much,
I thought I'd reward the developers buy paying a little more for their next game.
How silly I was.
Especially when you consider how sub-optimal these ports from HV have turned out to be.  I meet the minimum requirements and yet MKKE runs ~40 FPS in some stages like "Street", whereas SFIVAE flows like spring water at close to maximum settings.  I have to use the hacked config files that implements frame skipping in order for the game to play full speed.

However, I'm in the same boat as you.  I would rather buy the sub-optimal version than not getting a release at all so I'm definitely picking up Injustice.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »
The reason SF IV and it's sequels run smoother is because the characters and stages in mk/injustice have roughly 4 times more polys, normal mapping, and a bunch of particle/lighting effects.  SFIV just does some cruddy cell-shading on relatively low-poly anime characters. 

I'm not knocking Sf at all, but it's like comparing the performance of a Mario game to a COD game. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »
I have a GTS 250 and it 640x480, the GPU is taxed to 17%, but the CPU is saturated.  My CPU is a C2D E4300 o/c to 3.0GHz.  The GPU does get up to 70% when I increase the resolution to 1080p but the frame rate does not degrade, unless I crank AA up to c16Q, which really brings the system to its knees, even with SFIV.

I just wished the game would tax the video card more and the CPU less.
"The Manuel"

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
Injustice is on sale along with several other games on steam in partnership with VGX videogame award show on Spike.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »
I will get it and test it.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control and other issues
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:57 pm »
The reason SF IV and it's sequels run smoother is because the characters and stages in mk/injustice have roughly 4 times more polys, normal mapping, and a bunch of particle/lighting effects.  SFIV just does some cruddy cell-shading on relatively low-poly anime characters. 

I'm not knocking Sf at all, but it's like comparing the performance of a Mario game to a COD game.
SSF IV with settings maxed

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:39 pm »
I got it d/l and installed. Here is what the game set my video settings at. I have to say, it looks really pretty and there is zero lag or shutter. The encoders were worth there $. Makes setting up games like this a breeze.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 12:18:38 pm »
Finally got around to testing out two players on one keyboard.  Although I saw a post on Steam where someone said it didn't work, it works fine for me.
For all the testing and trying to get x360kb to work, the only real problem with the controls in this game is that the navigation buttons don't remap along with the other controls.  The key that P2 needs to press to join (numpad4) isn't an output on my keyboard encoder.
The game actually would have perfect keyboard support if it would just remap the accept and back buttons along with the fight moves assigned to the same key.

I encourage everyone to send NetherRealm studio and ask them to make this change:
http://www.netherrealm.com/contact

Gonna have some free time tomorrow and might poke around with a hex editor.

I might go ahead and use key-wiz uploader to change my key-wiz outputs to match the game's default keys when the game is launched.
I'd still like to find a solution that works for everyone though.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 12:27:25 pm »
Hyperlaunch 3 can do on the fly per game keyboard remapping.....

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »
Hyperlaunch 3 can do on the fly per game keyboard remapping.....

If Autohotkey doesn't work, then Hyperlaunch isn't going to work.
(It's like MAME, getting input directly from the device and unaffected by any Windows programs)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »
You're probably right.  I'll have to look and see how HL3 does it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2013, 02:44:37 pm »
I have the controls working perfectly by using KeyWiz uploader to change the KeyWiz outputs to match the game defaults.
While it's nice to be able to play the game, the tutorials are confusing as hell because it is displaying keys on screen that are neither the ones on my labels nor the keys that those buttons normally post.  When given a command on-screen, I have to look at a various references to figure out which buttons or direction it is asking me to press.

It works, but I'm not real happy with this as a long-term solution.

Not going to go into too much depth since not many people have this game yet, and they may or may not be using a key wiz, here is the ahk script I'm using:
Code: [Select]
Run, KeyWiz_Uploader3W7.exe /A /P A /L

ESC::
Winclose, INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US
Run, KeyWiz_Uploader3W7.exe /A /P C

Exitapp
return
The command line broken down:
KeyWiz_Uploader3W7.exe /A /P A /L
/A= auto mode, /P A= load profile A, /L=launch associated app
Adding /S to the end will prevent the uploader app from being visible.

I'm a little confused of how the profile file named default works.  It seems to change.
I ended up having to load profile C on exit instead to get the default keys back.
The script is in the key wiz uploader folder so I didn't have to specify a full path.

While it would be better to have the script wait until the user shuts down the game properly, that would require the script run a loop to test for it, which might negatively impact the performance of the game since I'm not exactly on bleeding edge hardware.  Even if not, I'm too lazy to do it properly right now.

EDIT: After playing a bit, it appears the game contains quick time events in which it will flash the correct key which you must press.   :angry:
This makes the game that much more confusing to play with a different mapping and without xbox button labels.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:52:06 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2013, 03:58:23 pm »
Well again, assuming that the game is like MKKE (which judging by how many tools I have that also work with this game it is)....

There are three button packages, one for the 360 pad, one for a generic gamepad, and one for the keyboard.  There is some scripting inside the packages that controls how the icons are drawn on the screen. Keyboard icons, unfortunately are mostly drawn on the fly.  The default is the 360 icons. 

If I never press anything with the keyboard and instead use cheat engine to simulate pressing start by directly manipulating the memory region, the 360 icons are used.... there are only like 6 of those, it would be easy to edit them. 

So yeah, writing something that completely takes over the input code would fix this issue.  Shoot there are FK LK, ect icons already in these packages, it might be possible to just rename them. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2013, 04:18:13 pm »
I got it d/l and installed. Here is what the game set my video settings at. I have to say, it looks really pretty and there is zero lag or shutter. The encoders were worth there $. Makes setting up games like this a breeze.

You've made me a believer.  For the cabinet I'm planning on building - I'm going to use those encoders (Unless I find something better...  but so far they're like the only thing that "just works" and you don't have to mess with it).  I have no problem setting up all my emulators to use joystick/gamepad inputs into of keyboard inputs.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:53 pm »
Been reading this topic all the way through, thanks to TheManuel contacting me.  It's very frustrating to say the least!  I wish game developers would focus on supporting more keyboards... Sigh.  When I first posted the SFIV hack I thought it would only be Capcom games that had this issue.  It's sad to hear they are all jumping on the 360 bandwagon.

That said, I did mess around with it a bit last night (I got it on sale this weekend for $25).   And I feel I'm pretty experienced in getting this stuff to work.  MKK was a bit challenging, but it did work after beating it down a bit.

Here are some differences that I noticed between the two when trying to change your keyboard controls to other keys not used in the x360.ini file.  (This is required in order to get the Xinput hack to work.  P.S. - SFIV, etc allowed you to clear all the keys and save.  Both MKK and Injustice do not allow this.  Perhaps they can update it so that you can while they are at it.)

MKK:
-  You can set both 1 and 2 players to the same non-used keys.  Makes it a lot easier when finding unused keys since you can repeat the keys to not "use them all up".
-  When assigning keys, both the keyboard and ipac controls work to input the assigned key.

IGAU:
-  You CANNOT set both 1 and 2 players to the same non-used keys.  So it's a pain to find out what keys you are not using.
-  When assigning keys, ONLY the keyboard works.  Controls (ipac) are DEAD.  If you exit the program and go into notepad the controls work fine (ipac).  I can't even assign keys using my arcade controls!  THAT was frustrating!  :badmood:  I'm going to try unplugging my USB keyboard to see if it helps.  P.S. - I'm old school, so my iPac has a PS/2 input.

Thought I'd mention that I contacted Netherrealms by using their form on their website as BadMouth suggested.  But I also noticed they had an e-mail address as well for attaching screenshots, etc:
info@netherrealm.com

Also, thought I'd mention that I re-posted the SFIV hack a while back with updates to the .inis to support ipacs right out of the box.  That's the version that I'm using successfully with MKK, but it doesn't seem to work with Injustice.  You can grab it here:  http://files.arcadecontrols.com/details.php?image_id=3656&sessionid=s6c8uonc0c0i6ob0mgqude0c66

Thought it might be worth mentioning this post.  They talk about a launcher in steam and renaming files.  Thought you guys might want to look into it:  http://steamcommunity.com/app/213610/discussions/0/882966056561112468/

Last but not least, I read somewhere that you can drop the .ini file and the .dll file into the \Steam\bin folder and ALL games would see it.  Can't remember where I read that though.  I think it may have been on the Steam forums, but not sure.

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:09:34 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2013, 11:06:02 pm »
Been reading this topic all the way through, thanks to TheManuel contacting me.  It's very frustrating to say the least!  I wish game developers would focus on supporting more keyboards... Sigh.  When I first posted the SFIV hack I thought it would only be Capcom games that had this issue.  It's sad to hear they are all jumping on the 360 bandwagon.

I have to disagree here.  Keyboards are not gaming devices (unless you're a hardcore first person shooter guy...  but that's a separate argument).  I think we're the ones stuck in the dark ages.

The SteamOS / Steam Box is coming.  Value/Steam have made HUGE efforts into making PC gaming more accessible.  "Big Picture" mode, soon a SteamBOX "console" system.  Hell, they even designed a gamepad controller (I'm willing to bet it'll be XInput friendly too). 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2013, 02:28:20 am »
Lol steam box is doa... it'll never catch on.  360 controllers (and I'm guessing now xb1 controllers) and xinput are here to stay though. 

Again, I hate to disagree, but Microsoft has done far more to streamline gaming with xinput and the easy portability of 360 games to the pc than steam has... if anything the fact that steam requires you to launch games via it, often requiring a net connection for many of them, has been a great detriment to the gaming community.

People that haven't programmed some games wouldn't understand why xinput is so much better so maybe I'll explain....

Prior to it your only option for interfacing to a modern controller was direct input.  Now direct input is deceptively hard to implement.  Hooking up a gamepad and reading it is easy IF you know exactly what kind of gamepad it is... if not then you have to check for and enumerate each component of the gamepad (hat switch, axis, buttons ect).  Even after that's done you have to deal with joystick IDs which are not intuitive to deal with, depending upon the os.  Forget about force-feedback, it's a mess and is setup differently depending upon the controller type.

With Xinput all of that is gone.  You know what buttons and joysticks the game has because it's a 360 controller.  Even if you didn't (or are using a specialty controller) xinput is setup in such a way that missing axis/ect just send back "off" in their report.  Not only that but you know the physical layout of the device... so the default mapping will actually make sense in-game.  Rumble is also easy... it's a one line command.  Joystick id enumeration is also gone.. the hardware takes care of it and now you have player 1- player 4's joystick.  Now I'll be the first to admit that it has it's limitations, primarily with force feedback, but it makes things so much easier.... I can understand why it's been so widely adopted.

I'm rambling though.... I just want people to understand WHY things are moving towards xinput.     

Regardless I do agree, we are the odd men out in this one. 

That being said the NRS games don't have a problem with keyboards, they support those just fine, rather it's an issue with hardcoded inputs.... I don't even understand why the navigation inputs are hardcoded when you can remap everything else. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2013, 09:35:00 am »
When assigning keys, ONLY the keyboard works.  Controls (ipac) are DEAD.  If you exit the program and go into notepad the controls work fine (ipac).  I can't even assign keys using my arcade controls!  THAT was frustrating!  :badmood:  I'm going to try unplugging my USB keyboard to see if it helps.  P.S. - I'm old school, so my iPac has a PS/2 input.

At the beginning when it asks you to press the spacebar, press G (probably P2 joystick right) on your encoder.
While the arrow keys of P1's joystick will navigate the main menus, Only A,S,D, & W will navigate the control mapping screen.
You can get by with A and S, usually P2's first two buttons.  You'll need the T key to clear the entry before mapping a new one.
I wasn't using that input and had to hook up an extra button to it.
Clear it, press G to select it, then press the key you want to assign.

I like my old PS2 encoder.  It just seems like a more direct method of input.
That said, if I were building this cab over again and knew these games would come out and I'd have steam installed on it, I'd use x360 pad hacks and have all my buttons labeled as x360 buttons.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:47:53 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2013, 09:38:27 am »
Lol steam box is doa... it'll never catch on.  360 controllers (and I'm guessing now xb1 controllers) and xinput are here to stay though. 

I do have serious doubts about the SteamBox as well.  Its a Linux based "console" (PC).  So for native Linux games - great (the list is growing, but its still tiny) - but for all the Windows games you still need a Windows PC to stream from?  Ya...   so gaming system that requires two PCs, not one.   Even hardcore games are going to be asking themselves why they have to buy two systems instead of just one.

But its more of a political statement than anything.  Pushing PC games to get on a unified control method.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »
Well my issues with steam box is that very same political statement.  The only thing the pc has going for it (despite what elitists will say) is that you can run anything on it you want, homemade games, big budget titles, emulators, ect.  You can also use any kind of interface you want to launch them.   

What the steam box says to me is "you will now buy your games via steam and run them the way we see fit, no exceptions".

In terms of controllers, I think xinput has already unified the pc, I'm not sure what steam box is trying to accomplish other than forcing a marketplace on us.  It's funny how Microsoft tried to do the same thing with windows live/xbox live (and more recently windows 8 marketplace) and were hated for it and steam does the exact same thing and suddenly it's alright.  There is a lot of unjustified hate towards M$.  Mind you there is a lot of JUSTIFIED hate as well, but I'm just saying.  ;-)

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »
Well my issues with steam box is that very same political statement.  The only thing the pc has going for it (despite what elitists will say) is that you can run anything on it you want, homemade games, big budget titles, emulators, ect.  You can also use any kind of interface you want to launch them.   

What the steam box says to me is "you will now buy your games via steam and run them the way we see fit, no exceptions".

In terms of controllers, I think xinput has already unified the pc, I'm not sure what steam box is trying to accomplish other than forcing a marketplace on us.  It's funny how Microsoft tried to do the same thing with windows live/xbox live (and more recently windows 8 marketplace) and were hated for it and steam does the exact same thing and suddenly it's alright.  There is a lot of unjustified hate towards M$.  Mind you there is a lot of JUSTIFIED hate as well, but I'm just saying.  ;-)

The difference between Steam and M$ - at least to me - is that Microsoft fixes prices.  That same piece of crap game you bought 4 years ago for $60 is STILL $60 today. 

There is no concept of a "Steam sale" on the other platforms.  So while Steam might be telling me how to play my games (DRM and whatnot), they're only charging me $5 to do it.  And I don't have to pay a monthly fee to play online.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:19 am »
Poked around with a hex editor for a little bit yesterday.  Got interrupted before doing too much though.  :(

Didn't find the location of the accept and back keys yet.  Swapped out a couple that looked like they might be it, but they didn't work when I launched the game.
Pretty sure that I did find the text for the keyboard and dinput labels that are created on the fly.
This evening I'll try to swap in the letters that correspond to my button labels and see what happens.  If it works, it will make the tutorials and story mode much more enjoyable on my cab.  Doubtful it will be of much use to anyone else though.
I'll probably have to use U,D,L,&R for directions rather than arrow keys or else it will change the file size.

I also searched for mention of all the dll files that x360kb.ini can be paired with.
The only one in there is xinput1_3.dll
That is the one used for MKK and when trying to use x360kb with Injustice, I do get the "ding" sound that the file is being accessed.
So I'm pretty sure that is the correct dll file to be used.
EDIT: It does mention dinput8.dll also.

It's mostly over my head, but when browsing with the hex editor, I did notice some stuff where it looked like the game would look for some type of response from the xinput controller and if it didn't get it, it would then default to keyboard.  I still think x360kb not working has something to do with getting the x360kb files to "hook" like the new version of x360ce.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:26:27 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »
Haven't been able to remap the navigation buttons, but made some progress on the labels.
If I swap the xbox descriptions into the dinput locations, it shows the xbox buttons.
I had put B, Y, O, A, C in expecting to see the letters and it spit out the xbox buttons, lol.

This is starting at block 13AF5F8 if anyone else wants to poke around.
(let me know if that's the wrong way to state a location)

I'm using HxD and know just enough to fumble around.

Another interesting tidbit:
Physics.HighVoltage_WarnerBros_Injustice-pka-Pinball-Project_PS4_PC....0x16a7c8b4-0x0b21a240:2013-12-17.Cloth.HighVoltage_WarnerBros_Injustice-pka-Pinball-Project_PS4_PC
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:00:50 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
Yeah I'm sorry man I've been busy working on the Ultimate Boss Mod.  I should have mentioned that the way labels work in MKKE (and Injustice apparently) is that everything defaults to 360 labels.  So if you corrupt a string pointing to the keyboard stuff, It'll default to the 360 stuff.

If you corrupt the 360 stuff you usually get a "BUG ME" message... if you find the words "BUG ME" near by and replace that with nulls, you'll get no labels.  I did all of this stuff to make a makeshift photo booth in MKKE.

I might try to whip up a one player only version (just for testing) of a keyboard wrapper for MKKE... if that works it would easily be adapted to injustice.  I'll just make it handle xinput memory addresses, which thus far with my year of hacking experience are universal regardless of the game.   

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 08:00:09 pm »
I have to disagree here.  Keyboards are not gaming devices (unless you're a hardcore first person shooter guy...  but that's a separate argument).  I think we're the ones stuck in the dark ages.
Then why bother implementing keyboard support in the first place?  It's one thing to not implement keyboard support, but it's another when the do and they force your to use G and J.  Tsk, tsk.  Shameful.

D

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »
Yeah I'm sorry man I've been busy working on the Ultimate Boss Mod.  I should have mentioned that the way labels work in MKKE (and Injustice apparently) is that everything defaults to 360 labels.  So if you corrupt a string pointing to the keyboard stuff, It'll default to the 360 stuff.

Don't apologize.  It's not your responsibility, although I'm sure you'd accomplish things much faster.

When I corrupt the keyboard stuff, I get [???] for a label.
I haven't been able to substitute anything for the keyboard icons or swap them around.
It just has the ABCs in upper case, then lower case.  Not sure how it knows when I swap the order around.

Still fumbling my way through swapping in the xbox labels to the dinput joystick.
It's a game of trying to get the ones I need in there without changing the size of the section.
Odd thing is that I can't just put letters in there, but I've managed to get part of the description of a button...LSH] as part of [LSH], which should make the left shoulder button show.

I should be working on finding the actual inputs, but I'm seeing progress here so would like to finish.

EDIT: Labels for navigation key icons start at 13E4C18, doesn't change the key, but changing the letter will make a different letter appear on the icon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:15:20 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:32 am »
Have made no further progress on the controls of this game, but someone on the steam forums claims something interesting.

One of the biggest complaints about the game is that there are no matches to be found online.
They say if x360ce, xpadder or the like is running, the game will tell you few or no matches are available.
They claim disabling those programs made the biggest difference in finding matches.

All the more reason to use an interface that shows up natively as an xbox 360 controller.  :-\

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2013, 11:42:10 am »
Have made no further progress on the controls of this game, but someone on the steam forums claims something interesting.

One of the biggest complaints about the game is that there are no matches to be found online.
They say if x360ce, xpadder or the like is running, the game will tell you few or no matches are available.
They claim disabling those programs made the biggest difference in finding matches.

All the more reason to use an interface that shows up natively as an xbox 360 controller.  :-\

You think its some kind of anti-cheat technology?  That's really interesting.  I wonder if the other games (SSIV, MK9, etc) do this as well?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »
You think its some kind of anti-cheat technology?  That's really interesting.  I wonder if the other games (SSIV, MK9, etc) do this as well?

I haven't really gotten into online play (because I'm a button masher who does the same moves repeatedly).
However, yesterday I wandered into one of the MKK online menus and it showed zero players in all locations.
I'm using x360kb on MKK.  I haven't done any testing so I'm not willing to say it's true one way or the other, but it does seem interesting.

I was poking around because after switching to offline mode and then back, all my progress in story mode disappeared.  :'(
I wasn't using the steam cloud backup either because the button mappings on my cab and laptop conflict and screw each other up.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »
I was poking around because after switching to offline mode and then back, all my progress in story mode disappeared.  :'(
I wasn't using the steam cloud backup either because the button mappings on my cab and laptop conflict and screw each other up.

Its time to just give in my friend.

http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus.html

These games are obviously on your radar for your cabinet - might as well just pull the trigger and fix the problem once and for all.  Its only going to get worse as more ports come over to PC.. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:35 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed, Badmouth.  I thought you would have figured this out by now  :P

But seriously, the game will be on sale for $19.99 from Amazon starting tomorrow and into Christmas day.  This is when I plan to strike.  I won't be back home until the end of the year, so I won't be able to play around with it, but based on your exhaustive research on this, I think I'll settle for key redirection with AHK, until a better alternative comes along.  Once I get this working, I'll post the script here.

I'm also thinking about building some button card overlays that I can just slip over my buttons showing the symbols that go with each, so that I can figure out how to read in-game command lists.  It's a little bit of work but will help with the mismatched button setups I have across games.

Anyway, big thanks to BadMouth for keeping us informed of all this trials and tribulations to save us from going through it all.

I'll check back when I have something useful for you.

Merry Christmas to all.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:14 pm »
just give in my friend.

I will probably go the pad hack route.  I have one fightpad.
Not excited about the work, but it makes more sense for me to spend another $20 on a fightpad than $120 on a pair of interfaces..

I'm a bit disappointed, Badmouth.  I thought you would have figured this out by now  :P
Me too.

I think I'll settle for key redirection with AHK, until a better alternative comes along.  Once I get this working, I'll post the script here.

The game treats every keyboard as a separate input device instead of using the windows "system" keyboard, so I suspected that AHK wouldn't work.
I never tested, but IIRC Connorsdad confirmed it earlier in the this thread.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2013, 12:47:33 pm »
just give in my friend.

Not excited about the work, but it makes more sense for me to spend another $20 on a fightpad than $120 on a pair of interfaces..

The Logitech F310 are pretty cheap - comparatively speaking.  I guess the question is do you want the ability to plug in a PS3 or XBox 360 into your cabinet?  (the idea seems cool to me).

But then with the F310's you also get the profiler software - which could come in handy as well.   Decisions, decisions.  :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »
just give in my friend.

The Logitech F310 are pretty cheap - comparatively speaking.  I guess the question is do you want the ability to plug in a PS3 or XBox 360 into your cabinet?  (the idea seems cool to me).

But then with the F310's you also get the profiler software - which could come in handy as well.   Decisions, decisions.  :)

No interest in consoles.  I wouldn't use it enough to warrant buying one, even used.

Using the profiler software would require you to physically flip a switch to put it in direct input mode.
That's not cool on an arcade cab.  When I select a game, everything should be automatic.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2013, 01:21:18 pm »
just give in my friend.

No interest in consoles.  I wouldn't use it enough to warrant buying one, even used.

Using the profiler software would require you to physically flip a switch to put it in direct input mode.
That's not cool on an arcade cab.  When I select a game, everything should be automatic.

LEDBlinky + Relay = Automatic    >:D     Or I bet the servo-stick mechanism from Ultimarc would do it too.

Just depends on how hard you're willing to work for it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:51:13 pm by Fursphere »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2013, 01:26:05 pm »
The game treats every keyboard as a separate input device instead of using the windows "system" keyboard, so I suspected that AHK wouldn't work.
I never tested, but IIRC Connorsdad confirmed it earlier in the this thread.
Well, as long as you can assign buttons for both players to the same keyboard (iPac), AHK should be a viable option.  Connorsdad did not give details of what he tried.  I've had success with it for many other games and emulators, so it can't hurt to take a look.
"The Manuel"

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:30 pm »
just give in my friend.

I just took apart my Logitech F310.  I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on putting it back together.  (I got mine back together and functional after 3 attempts and a few swear words)

The traces are SMALL, so its going to require some (very) careful soldering work.  I would say experienced to advanced.  And a really good iron.  No Radio Shack specials here folks. 

The triggers are real potentiometers - so I'm not sure how you can convert them to "on/off buttons".  And the switch in the back to toggle between DirectInput and XInput modes is a very tiny mechanical switch.  I took some pictures too if you want to see them. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »
I just took apart my Logitech F310.  I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on putting it back together.  (I got mine back together and functional after 3 attempts and a few swear words)

The traces are SMALL, so its going to require some (very) careful soldering work.  I would say experienced to advanced.  And a really good iron.  No Radio Shack specials here folks. 

The triggers are real potentiometers - so I'm not sure how you can convert them to "on/off buttons".   

The triggers can be converted to digital by using 5k resistors.

I took some pictures too if you want to see them.

Nah.  Not necessary.  I already have one fight pad and would rather hack two of the same thing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2013, 12:46:00 am »
I think if we wait just a month or two 360 gamepads, specifically offbrand ones are going to be super cheap.  Seeing as how you can get them to show up as direct input pads or xinput ones it'd be the way to go. 

I've been unbelievably busy lately (UGH Xmas stuff!) but I still want to take a stab at some sort of generic memory wrapper once I get some time.  I think it's a deal where I could allow the user to make a little ini file specifying the memory locations of the xinput buffer and it would work pretty much universally. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:11 am »
More keyboard issues being reported on Steam.

Apparently some quick time events require you to press the default keys instead of the ones you mapped.
Crazy part is that the game will display the key you mapped, but still expect you to hit the original default key for that action.
WB should get a refund from High Voltage for the lousy job they did on the pc conversion.

MY OFFICIAL TAKE ON THIS GAME IS STAY FAR, FAR, AWAY FROM IT UNLESS YOU ARE USING XBOX CONTROLLERS OR AN INTERFACE THAT SHOWS UP AS AN XBOX CONTROLLER.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:47 am »
Well, finally got to install the game and play with input options:

-
  • Used vjoy and was punching away in no time (easiest setup of all the PC fighting games I've installed)
  • I set up a simple AHK script to launch vjoy and load the game's config file before starting Injustice, and to close it down upon game exit
  • Game sees button inputs as numbers 1 through however many buttons you have so it's rather intuitive to quickly find your buttons in move lists
  • Have not played story mode, so haven't gone through any quicktime events
  • Accept and cancel functions default to buttons 2 and 3 of the joystick, as the game sees them, so I made my top three buttons 3, 2 and 1, so that "accept" is my top left button and "cancel" is my top middle button, consistent with almost all games I have (except silly SFIVAE)
  • Only problem with this is that I'll confused during quick time events and reading the move list so I might yet revert to the default assignments for the "accept" and "cancel" functions; it's a trade-off
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game is better optimized for the PC than MKKE since I can run at a steady 60 FPS, as long as I turn shadow quality completely off; it doesn't help to turn it to the minimum because it introduces artifacts
  • Cutscene video quality is much better than MKKE's

In all, I'm actually quite pleased with this port, especially after seeing how many people have had all kinds of trouble with slow motion, control assignments, etc.
If anyone needs help with setting up vjoy, let me know.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2013, 10:20:50 am »
Well, finally got to install the game and play with input options:

-
  • Used vjoy and was punching away in no time (easiest setup of all the PC fighting games I've installed)
  • I set up a simple AHK script to launch vjoy and load the game's config file before starting Injustice, and to close it down upon game exit
  • Game sees button inputs as numbers 1 through however many buttons you have so it's rather intuitive to quickly find your buttons in move lists
  • Have not played story mode, so haven't gone through any quicktime events
  • Accept and cancel functions default to buttons 2 and 3 of the joystick, as the game sees them, so I made my top three buttons 3, 2 and 1, so that "accept" is my top left button and "cancel" is my top middle button, consistent with almost all games I have (except silly SFIVAE)
  • Only problem with this is that I'll confused during quick time events and reading the move list so I might yet revert to the default assignments for the "accept" and "cancel" functions; it's a trade-off
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game is better optimized for the PC than MKKE since I can run at a steady 60 FPS, as long as I turn shadow quality completely off; it doesn't help to turn it to the minimum because it introduces artifacts
  • Cutscene video quality is much better than MKKE's

In all, I'm actually quite pleased with this port, especially after seeing how many people have had all kinds of trouble with slow motion, control assignments, etc.
If anyone needs help with setting up vjoy, let me know.

:cheers:

Guess I'll move onto vjoy too then (although hacking a pair of fightpads is on my to-do list).  Remapping the keywiz with the uploader works, but I'm confused during quicktime events and people are reporting issues with remapped controls during them too.  I still wish someone would get x360kb working so it would display the xbox button labels, but like you say the dinput numbers wouldn't be bad.

I assume you're using a keyboard encoder.  The buttons that post the original navigation keys don't cause any issues?

I'd also be curious if there is any truth to the post on the steam forums about the game not showing online matches if using xpadder, x360ce, or the like.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »
Yes.  I'm using a keyboard encoder, the original iPac, which I've had since 2002.  However, I'm glad you asked about keyboard conflicts because there is one instance where things go awry.  If you assign any inputs in vjoy to G, which is the game's default "accept" keyboard input, when navigating menus it will read it as such and not as a virtual joystick input from vjoy, unfortunately.  Once you go in-game, it reads it as a joystick input, like you want it.  In my case, I have G assigned to P2 left so I just get around it by navigating the menus with P1 controls, which is not a big deal.  I imagine this is true for J (cancel) as well but I don't have this conflict.  I also have the arrow keys mapped to P1 directional controls so I don't know if assigning those keys to a different function would cause problems too.  Give it a try and let us know.  It's quite easy to set up vjoy.

As for online, I was able to play matches, both in a lobby and as a ranked match.  It did take a while to find an opponent, but I doubt this has anything to do with the controls workaround.  Also, the first match I played lagged horribly but this is probably due to the connection to the other player.  The second one seemed fine.

Let me know how it goes and happy new year in advance!
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2014, 03:09:02 pm »
I just discovered last night that using vjoy causes a few problems with other gamer that use the x360kb hack:
- SFIV: in the title screen, the focus runs rapidly between "start game", "pc settings" and "quit", making it difficult to press the option you want.  The game seems fine, once you are in.
- SSIV: the game assumes you are using a keyboard by default when you enter the game, so you don't get access to your x360kb hacked buttons in arcade mode.  In VS mode, since you assign a controller for each player, everything seems fine.
- MKKE: I did not see any issues with this one.

The above happens even with the joystick emulation disabled in the vjoy interface.  I made it go away by uninstalling vjoy and removing the virtual joystick drivers.  There may be some other way to make them coexist.  I'll play with it some more tonight to see if I find a solution and provide an update.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2014, 03:29:44 pm »
I just discovered last night that using vjoy causes a few problems with other gamer that use the x360kb hack:
- SFIV: in the title screen, the focus runs rapidly between "start game", "pc settings" and "quit", making it difficult to press the option you want.  The game seems fine, once you are in.
- SSIV: the game assumes you are using a keyboard by default when you enter the game, so you don't get access to your x360kb hacked buttons in arcade mode.  In VS mode, since you assign a controller for each player, everything seems fine.
- MKKE: I did not see any issues with this one.

The above happens even with the joystick emulation disabled in the vjoy interface.  I made it go away by uninstalling vjoy and removing the virtual joystick drivers.  There may be some other way to make them coexist.  I'll play with it some more tonight to see if I find a solution and provide an update.

I was curious if vjoy could be used the way x360kb is used, by putting the driver in the folder with the exe instead of having the virtual joystick installed and showing up in windows.  I've somewhat lost interest in testing though.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »
I was curious if vjoy could be used the way x360kb is used, by putting the driver in the folder with the exe instead of having the virtual joystick installed and showing up in windows.  I've somewhat lost interest in testing though.

I'll see what I can do with that, although I don't know how the game would know that driver is available if it's not in Windows.

So did you give up on the game or did you settle for trying to got he hardware hack route?
I finally got to play the game a little bit last weekend and it was a lot of fun so I'm sure as hell going to make sure I can make it work somehow.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2014, 04:16:15 pm »
So did you give up on the game or did you settle for trying to got he hardware hack route?

Mostly been busy on other non-arcade projects.

I'm currently using a Key Wiz keyboard encoder.  The key wiz uploader software can change maps on the fly.  I have an autohotkey script upload a map using the game's default keys, then switch back on exit.  It works and the game doesn't complain, but I'm not completely satisfied with it.  The uploader software takes a while to do it's job.  The game displays the original keys in the tutorial and quick time events, but I never remember which button they correspond to because they're not my usual mappings.  For the fighting, it works perfectly.  Haven't played it much after getting it set up.

Even though it's working, I've decided to move onto xbox360 pad hacks for the sake of not having to spend time on these issues in the future.
I picked up a few more games that were going to require workarounds and decided that it's time to move on.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2014, 04:19:19 pm »
Sounds good, my friend.  I hope you find a solution that suits you.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2014, 10:08:41 am »
I couldn't get anywhere last night trying to get vjoy not to interfere with x360kb.
Also, I can’t seem to re-assign keys using ahk.  They just won’t take, which I think BadMouth suggested might happen.

I’m now leaning towards moving the other PC games to vjoy.  After all, this is a more universal solution and the buttons are numbered in a logical sequence, which will make reading command lists easier relative to my control panel.

This is what I’ll try next.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:10 am »
I couldn't get anywhere last night trying to get vjoy not to interfere with x360kb.
Also, I can’t seem to re-assign keys using ahk.  They just won’t take, which I think BadMouth suggested might happen.

Yeah, the game gets input directly from individual keyboards rather than through windows (like MAME) so ahk doesn't work.

vjoy coupled with the latest version of x360ce actually works.  I did test that and it works.
It makes the game think an xbox360 controller is connected. 
Nothing is really gained, except that it displays the xbox360 buttons.
That's exactly what I want, but I was afraid that many layers would result in too much input lag.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:59 am »
I see.  You use vjoy to emulate a joystick withe keyboard and then x360ce to emulate an xbox pad with the emulated joystick.  It does sound like too many layers.  I'll see how vjoy works for me on the other games.

Thanks for the info.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:56 am »
I’m now leaning towards moving the other PC games to vjoy.  After all, this is a more universal solution and the buttons are numbered in a logical sequence, which will make reading command lists easier relative to my control panel.

Sorry to keep bumping, but I just remembered something.  Earlier in this thread somewhere fursphere tested a game (SSFIVAE I think) with two dinput controllers and only one player could use a dinput controller.  You couldn't play a two player game with two dinput devices.
That would be an issue if using only vjoy.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
Thanks for the heads up.  One way to get around that if I run into it, would be to assign P2 controls to the keyboard, which would screw up the command list symbols.  I'll have to see.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2014, 04:03:57 pm »
Well like I mentioned, I can probably fix all of this mess with a wrapper, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I've still got the MKKE mods sitting on my harddrive, but this time of year everyone buys me video games for Xmas... so I'm playing games.  ;)

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2014, 04:58:55 pm »
Well like I mentioned, I can probably fix all of this mess with a wrapper, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I've still got the MKKE mods sitting on my harddrive, but this time of year everyone buys me video games for Xmas... so I'm playing games.  ;)

Sounds good.  I'm just trying to figure something out to get it playable in the meantime.
Thanks.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:07 pm »
Well, I will not pursue using vjoy on all PC games because the key blocking feature doesn't work in Windows 7.  As I found out with Injustice, this means that hard coded keyboard inputs are also pressed when assigning those keys to inputs in the control panel.  It happens to work OK for me with Injustice because I don't have many conflicts in my CP with that game's keyboard defaults but it wreaks havoc in SFIVAE with my setup.

I did however find an effective, if inelegant way to work around the vjoy / x360kb interference issue.  If rename or move the file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\vjoy.sys before starting SFIVAE, the vjoy defined virtual game pads become disabled because Windows can't find the driver for it and the game works as usual. 

I will add some simple AHK code to my scripts to rename this file to something else before launching each of the x360kb games that cause the interference and a couple more for Injustice to rename it back to its original name.

I've switched manually several times without issue so I know it will work.  I'll post the code when I get it working.
"The Manuel"

Connorsdad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2014, 02:34:17 pm »

I am definitely looking forward to this, I have the game installed on my cab and am yet to play it :(

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
Here is the AHK script I am using to enable vjoy when playing Injustice and to disable it when playing PC games that use the xbox pad hack, like SFIV/AE and MKKE:

To enable vjoy:
FileMove, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy_renamed.sys, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys
Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\VJoy\VJoy.exe -file "D:\PC\Injustice - Gods Among Us UE\VJoy.ini"

To disable vjoy:
FileMove, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy_renamed.sys

Notes:
- Obviously change the drive letter above to match your setup and provide the correct location of your vjoy in file
- The script will not stop with error if the file already has the target name and thus can't find it, it will simply work
- In order to enable vjoy after renaming vjoy.sys, vjoy has to be restarted.  Since I always close the vjoy process at the end of the Injustice script, this is not a problem for me but if you always have vjoy enabled, this won't work

Here is the code to close the vjoy process:
Process, Close, vjoy.exe

Best regards.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:29 pm »
I know this isn't the solution most of you are looking for but since some of us have decided to cut the cord.....

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.253726300?WT.mc_id=mer_shopping&mr:referralID=434ea464-7916-11e3-9104-001b2166c62d&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-nXqyu3RXknSp7NypbKbD2w

It's an official Microsoft gamepad specifically designed for fighters on sale for 10 bucks with free shipping.  So you can upgrade your cabinet for 20 bucks and an afternoon of soldering.  Don't let the appearance fool you, this pad is 100% digital, meaning you can toss the pad away and just keep the pcb without fear of having to deal with analog sticks. 

I think I might pick up a few.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »
Injustice is on sale at greenmangaming for $12.49 (+ will receive a $2 GMG credit)
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/injustice-gods-among-us-ultimate-edition-na/

Headkaze's vjoy seems to be the only workaround for the controls at the moment.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »
It always pays to wait with PC games.  I paid 19.99 in Dec.

I'm still getting by with the clunky trick I describe above for activating vjoy when needed and de-activating when playing games that use the x360 pad hack to avoid interference.
"The Manuel"

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »
Yes, Yes, Yes!

Now, is it easy to get it to work?  Even at $12.5?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2014, 08:51:06 pm »
Have you guys seen this?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137947.msg1424426.html#msg1424426

Perhaps we can use it to get xz360ce to work with Injustice and other Xbox 360 games?

Thoughts?

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:58:56 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2014, 09:15:14 pm »
I had not seen that, as I've been a bit on the sidelines due to additional responsibility at work but it looks promising.
I'll wait to see what monkee can do with it.

Thanks for the heads-up.
"The Manuel"

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2014, 02:59:07 am »
aside from all the pain in the ass it is to get the controller to work, is this game worth it? I like sf4 and sfvstk but i dont know if I can justify the HDD space because this game is huge(i got a small hdd in my cabinet) how does it compare to the other games?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2014, 03:12:27 am »
People seem to be on the fence with it.  It's certainly more of a "casual" game than MK.  The 4 button control scheme is also an odd choice from the founders of Mortal Kombat, especially considering one of those buttons is "wasted" on a special attack.  Many cite the change as a way to make it easier to introduce the game to non-fighting game fans, and that is kind of a problem if you are a fighting game fan.  Sort of a Smash Bros. scenario if you ask me. 

It's by no means a bad game, NRS always tries to pack as much fun in as they can.  Let's put it this way though.  It should be apparent how much of a MK fan I am... just look at my avatar.  ;)  Yet I don't own the game yet.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2014, 10:35:22 am »
I find the game to be an awful lot of fun and I fully agree with Howard on the casual aspect of it.  However, unless you are a high level fighting game enthusiast (which I'm not), I doubt you'll be put off by the technical shortcomings of the game compared to more refined "competition" type games like SFIV.  Instead you'll likely enjoy the pummeling your friends around and subjecting them to the preposterous special attacks each character has, like superman punching somebody into orbit and them hammering them back down to earth.  This game as with any fighter, is best enjoyed with friends in a party type atmosphere. 

My only knock on the game, besides the controls setup issues, is the MK-like blood and wounds the characters incur over the course of the fight.  To me, it just jive well with the overall juvenile atmosphere of a superhero fighting game.  On the other hand, it does make sense in the context of the story mode which is a bit darker than the standard superhero fare (e.g., Superman laser-lobotomizing Shazam).

This game requires a minimum of 4 buttons, as all other functions can be accomplished by combinations of those but I would argue that to comfortably use all the other functions, you really need 6 buttons, or you'll find yourself playing twister with your fingers.  There is an excellent guide on button layout alternatives for the game here.

I recommend a hard drive upgrade and getting this game, if you the cab with friends, with any frequency, especially if have some affinity for the DC characters.  I watch old episodes of Justice League with my kids so buying this game was a no-brainer for me.  If you do the upgrade, you should also check out MKKE, while you're at it.  Both games can be had for very cheap these days.
"The Manuel"

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »
Keep in mind that a lot more games are leaning towards xbox 360 controllers.  Once this workaround is found for this game, it opens up doors for other games.

I hear that the new Strider has the same issue...

DeLuSioNaL29

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2014, 01:32:49 am »
thanks for the input. Im even more on the fence now that its not a standard 6 button game like street fighter. I find 4 button games weird, including KOF( blasphemy I know) :o

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2014, 03:07:26 am »
It's not blasphemy at all.  I was asked to work on a indie fighting game due to my extensive MKKE hacks.  After I found out it was a 4 button fighter and that it was going to use a blaz-blue style control scheme and I reluctantly declined. 

In the beginning there was darkness... and then Capcom created Street Fighter... and it was good.
Then Midway created Mortal Kombat, and it was also good.  Killer Instinct came... and it was "meh" but acceptably fun.

But after that 30+ companies came out of the woodwork that wouldn't know how to make a SF-based fighter if Capcom gave them the source code. 

6 buttons certainly isn't required, but two or more high attack and two or more low attack buttons are. In other words two rows of buttons... not all the buttons in one row.

I also find MK's controls to be superior due to a dedicated block button.  It's nice to be able to jump forward and block at the same time. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »
Can you actually air block in MK?  I've never tried it.  You could air block in some older SF games (alpha) but not air blocking is more of a design decision than a limitation of not having a block button, i.e., you can jump forward and hold back to block.

I agree with the inline button scheme being cumbersome but I've found it works fine for Soul Calibur.  Now, hitting A and B simultaneously with your thumb and index finger in Samurai Shodown is very clunky.  I'm rather used to it after playing samsho2 countless times, and I still hit a medium or light attack instead of heavy every once in a while.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2014, 01:02:55 pm »
Eh sorta... it varies from game to game.  With most characters you'll cancel any air attack and grab your opponent.  What I meant though is that you can be jumping forward while holding block and when you land you'll be holding block.  So you can go TOWARDS a special move while still defending yourself. 

SFs system is incredibly awkward because if your opponent happens to lay off you'll start moving backwards.

crossbred900

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2021, 04:13:49 pm
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2014, 12:49:26 pm »
Does anybody have a list of which buttons, in vjoy, correspond to which default commands in Injustice? I'm trying to help a guy on a forum for gamers with disabilities that uses a combination of non-keyboard non-360 inputs, autohotkey, and voice activated commands. He actually got frustrated and gave up on this game months ago, so I'm trying to cut down as much trial and error for him as possible.                                                                       

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2014, 01:09:42 pm »
Does anybody have a list of which buttons, in vjoy, correspond to which default commands in Injustice? I'm trying to help a guy on a forum for gamers with disabilities that uses a combination of non-keyboard non-360 inputs, autohotkey, and voice activated commands. He actually got frustrated and gave up on this game months ago, so I'm trying to cut down as much trial and error for him as possible.                                                                       

From an earlier post:

The virtual direct input joystick in vjoy should correspond to the dinput column.
In case you haven't read back through the thread, the navigation keys are always the default regardless of what you map anything to.  :angry:

I don't blame him for giving up on it.  I ended up converting my cab to hacked xbox360 pads because of this damn game.
(well, they're hacked and in the cab, but my controls are still hooked up to the keyboard encoder for now)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:12:59 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »
One other bump in the road is that vjoy cannot block keys in windows Vista or newer, so the game will see both the gamepad input and key input.
That usually only comes into play with the navigation keys, but might cause issues in the quicktime events in story mode as well.

I haven't checked up on this game for a while.  I assume there hasn't been a patch to fix the controls?

crossbred900

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2021, 04:13:49 pm
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2014, 01:36:32 pm »
The virtual direct input joystick in vjoy should correspond to the dinput column.
In case you haven't read back through the thread, the navigation keys are always the default regardless of what you map anything to.  :angry:

I don't blame him for giving up on it.  I ended up converting my cab to hacked xbox360 pads because of this damn game.
(well, they're hacked and in the cab, but my controls are still hooked up to the keyboard encoder for now)
Thanks. I did read the last few pages. It's a shame some games are getting less accessible when it should be the opposite.

One other bump in the road is that vjoy cannot block keys in windows Vista or newer, so the game will see both the gamepad input and key input.
That usually only comes into play with the navigation keys, but might cause issues in the quicktime events in story mode as well.

I haven't checked up on this game for a while.  I assume there hasn't been a patch to fix the controls?
So he should just avoid using WASD, G and J in vjoy? Running vjoy as administrator still doesn't block keys? I don't know if there has been an update. I "acquired" an older version that can't be updated.

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2014, 07:23:07 pm »
I've only just skimmed this thread but I'm trying to get Injustice as well as Street Fighter X Tekken working on my new machine.

I'm using a JPAC output so I can plug into the original unmodified JAMMA setup of my original cab...

is Vjoy the best option for getting P2 controls to work or is there some other setup that will work better for my setup?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2014, 08:17:59 pm »
So he should just avoid using WASD, G and J in vjoy? Running vjoy as administrator still doesn't block keys? I don't know if there has been an update. I "acquired" an older version that can't be updated.

It could avoid some issues, but I can't tell you for sure it's necessary since I haven't used vjoy in my setup.

Headkaze's vjoy can't block keys in Vista or newer regardless of whether it is ran as administrator or not.
http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=vjoy 

There is another vjoy out there (vJoy) by some other author who refuses to change the name despite headkaze's program predating it.
I have no idea about that one.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »
I've only just skimmed this thread but I'm trying to get Injustice as well as Street Fighter X Tekken working on my new machine.

I'm using a JPAC output so I can plug into the original unmodified JAMMA setup of my original cab...

is Vjoy the best option for getting P2 controls to work or is there some other setup that will work better for my setup?

Your options are to reprogram the JPAC to match the default key setup for this game, or use vjoy.
That's it.

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »

Your options are to reprogram the JPAC to match the default key setup for this game, or use vjoy.
That's it.

What about Street Fighter x Tekken? I believe that game is similar to SF4 where only 1 player can use the keyboard and they want player 2 to be on a separate device.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2014, 12:57:56 pm »
What about Street Fighter x Tekken? I believe that game is similar to SF4 where only 1 player can use the keyboard and they want player 2 to be on a separate device.

See the SSFIV thread stickied at the top of this forum.
Search the thread until you find the proper settings for SFxTekken.
That fix has been the best solution for all fighting games thus far......it just doesn't work on Injustice.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2014, 11:47:59 am »
Hi all,

Was doing some Google-ing on this and found some interesting info where a guy has a hack that may or may not work for us.  (I have to test it when I get home).  He is using PS2 controllers with a USB adapter and x360ce with the PC version of Injustice.

There's a Youtube video of it showing the Playstation buttons icons during gameplay.  He claims he's using x360ce as well...

Here's what he wrote in the description:
Install:
Copy the "ui_c_buttonLib.xxx" file to "InjusticeGodsAmongUs_UltimateEdition\Di­scContentPC\Assets"Folder
Make sure you made a backup of original file.

You can download the mod here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!ttNhXSRa!e8S9s17...
or
http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/6019583...

Only works,with "x360ce" emulator!
You can download here:
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downl...

I use these:
Ps2 Controller
x360ce - XBOX 360 Controller Emulator
Twin USB - 2 PS II To PC USB Game Converter Adapter

What do you guys think?

D

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2014, 08:11:53 am »
Null
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:28:07 am by Generic Eric »

spratkobasa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2019, 09:10:43 am
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2014, 07:08:19 pm »
Is vjoy hyperlaunch friendly if you are already using xpadder for other PC games on your PC Wheel?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »
Is vjoy hyperlaunch friendly if you are already using xpadder for other PC games on your PC Wheel?

if you are using xpadder, then don't your controls already show up as gamepads?
No need to run vjoy if that is the case.

spratkobasa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2014, 03:17:39 pm »
Xpadder coverts joystick to keyboard presses. This helps me only with my direction u360 joys. It doesn't help me with my buttons as they are hooked to an ipac. So xpadder doesn't help me here I think. (I could be totally wrong but let me know )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:33:59 pm by spratkobasa »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:12 am »
Xpadder coverts joystick to keyboard presses. This helps me only with my direction u360 joys. It doesn't help me with my buttons as they are hooked to an ipac. So xpadder doesn't help me here I think. (I could be totally wrong but let me know )

No, it wouldn't help.  I just thought if you were using it, then that meant your controls showed up as a joystick natively, in which case they should just work with the game as-is.
I didn't consider the option of them being split between a u360 and ipac.

I don't think only using vjoy would help in your case since the game is only going to allow one controller per player and I don't think vjoy will allow you to map the u360 for the directions.  So you'd end up with the joystick being on one controller, then your buttons on the virtual controller.

GlovePie might work to combine the u360 and keyboard encoder into virtual gamepads, but you'd have to write the scripts yourself.  I don't have any experience with it.

Or, you could use the button inputs on the u360s and remap everything else on your system.
I ended up switching to hacked xbox fightpads so the steam games would be pretty much plug and play.
(I still have to hook them up and remap everything else on my cab  :-\  )
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:03:23 am by BadMouth »

spratkobasa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2014, 10:34:39 pm »
BadMouth, your post makes me sad :(.  using glovepie with unsigned drivers has been a pain in my butt for so long.  It never wants to work right on my system.  Good thing I got this game for only 7 bucks otherwise I would be even more pissed.

xul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 03:07:56 pm
  • Toasty!
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »
Here is the AHK script I am using to enable vjoy when playing Injustice and to disable it when playing PC games that use the xbox pad hack, like SFIV/AE and MKKE:

To enable vjoy:
FileMove, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy_renamed.sys, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys
Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\VJoy\VJoy.exe -file "D:\PC\Injustice - Gods Among Us UE\VJoy.ini"

To disable vjoy:
FileMove, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy_renamed.sys

Notes:
- Obviously change the drive letter above to match your setup and provide the correct location of your vjoy in file
- The script will not stop with error if the file already has the target name and thus can't find it, it will simply work
- In order to enable vjoy after renaming vjoy.sys, vjoy has to be restarted.  Since I always close the vjoy process at the end of the Injustice script, this is not a problem for me but if you always have vjoy enabled, this won't work

Here is the code to close the vjoy process:
Process, Close, vjoy.exe

Best regards.

Appreciate this info as it looks like it's my solution for Injustice and Mortal Kombat X but...

What is the script to have AHK open vjoy and the profile, then close vjoy when the game exits?  Having this template with vjoy would be perfect!

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »
I will post my script tonight. It's quite simple but you'll spend some time configuring the controls for your own setup.  Keep in mind that with Windows 7, VJoy cannot block system keyboard inputs so if some of your buttons are mapped to keyboard keys that have a function in the game, there will be conflicts.
"The Manuel"

xul

• Offline Offline
  • Toasty!
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2015, 12:54:12 am »
Bump for the AHK scipts  >:D :applaud: 8)

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2015, 05:37:08 pm »
I'm so sorry for not giving you this before.  I've been busy in regular life and not too involved with the arcade side of my computer since started using it as a platform for playing PC games.

At any rate, below is the AHK code I use to launch Injustice with joystick to keyboard mapping using VJOY.
Notice that I use devcon to disable the vjoy driver when not playing Injustice.  This is because vjoy used to interfere with my setup for SFIV games and others.  If that is the case for you as well, devcon is a utility that is part of the Windows Driver Kit 7.1 and can be extracted using Universal Extractor.  There are guides online on how to do this or you can PM me and I'll send it to you if you prefer.  Just run your antivirus on it before you use it, just in case.  The kit came directly from the MS website but you shouldn't trust exe files shared online by other people.

Let me know if you run into problems.

#NoEnv
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%

SetBatchLines -1

MouseMove, 0, 0, 0

Run, D:\Other Files\Non-Gaming Software\devcon.exe enable "HID\VJoy&Col01" "HID\VJoy&Col02"

Run, D:\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\InjusticeGodsAmongUs_UltimateEdition\DiscContentPCG\Injustice.exe

Process, WaitClose, Injustice.exe

Process, Close, Injustice.exe
  Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\VJoy\VJoy.exe -exit
  Run, D:\Other Files\Non-Gaming Software\devcon.exe disable "HID\VJoy&Col01" "HID\VJoy&Col02"
  ExitAPP
return
"The Manuel"

xul

• Offline Offline
  • Toasty!
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2015, 08:54:50 am »
I'm so sorry for not giving you this before.  I've been busy in regular life and not too involved with the arcade side of my computer since started using it as a platform for playing PC games.

At any rate, below is the AHK code I use to launch Injustice with joystick to keyboard mapping using VJOY.
Notice that I use devcon to disable the vjoy driver when not playing Injustice.  This is because vjoy used to interfere with my setup for SFIV games and others.  If that is the case for you as well, devcon is a utility that is part of the Windows Driver Kit 7.1 and can be extracted using Universal Extractor.  There are guides online on how to do this or you can PM me and I'll send it to you if you prefer.  Just run your antivirus on it before you use it, just in case.  The kit came directly from the MS website but you shouldn't trust exe files shared online by other people.

Let me know if you run into problems.

#NoEnv
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%

SetBatchLines -1

MouseMove, 0, 0, 0

Run, D:\Other Files\Non-Gaming Software\devcon.exe enable "HID\VJoy&Col01" "HID\VJoy&Col02"

Run, D:\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\InjusticeGodsAmongUs_UltimateEdition\DiscContentPCG\Injustice.exe

Process, WaitClose, Injustice.exe

Process, Close, Injustice.exe
  Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\VJoy\VJoy.exe -exit
  Run, D:\Other Files\Non-Gaming Software\devcon.exe disable "HID\VJoy&Col01" "HID\VJoy&Col02"
  ExitAPP
return

Awesome - Thank you The Manuel.  I am traveling right now but will give it a shot this coming weekend.  I have been having AHK problems with the version of HyperLaunch (havent updated to RocketLauncher yet) but hoping this will work.  Great stuff! :applaud:

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2015, 09:19:22 am »
No problem.  I ended up having to use custom scripts for most games and emulators when I was using the old version of Hyperlaunch.  I never got to migrate to the new one from a couple of years ago that works as a standalone app.

If you implement this, launch SFIV or SSFIVA and check if controls are working the way they are supposed to, after having used Injustice once with this script.
"The Manuel"

xul

• Offline Offline
  • Toasty!
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2015, 05:19:01 pm »
I got it to work after upgrading to RocketLauncher (which fixed AHK for me) and I omitted the portion of killing the vjoy process.  So far so good.  This works like a champ!
Finally!!!! :applaud: :cheers: :afro: :burgerking: :burgerking:

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2015, 11:53:13 am »
That is good to hear.
Game on!
"The Manuel"

vaderag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2022, 08:34:06 am »

From an earlier post:

Sorry to reawaken this thread but I'm actually in exactly the same situation... trying to get Injustice working with my Ultimarc Ultimate IO
I have vJoy set up with a virtual joystick, and I have AntimicroX (Joy2Key replacement)
I think they both need to work together... but am I right in thinking that I also need some other program?

The situation I'm in at the moment is that I seem to have the opposite of what I need going on - the Joystick will send Keys, but what I really need is Keys to send Joystick...

I'm thinking I must need some other program to make the keys send the joystick and then the joystick will send different keys

Or am I just barking?! My head is hurting just thinking about it lol