Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LCD in Daytona/Sega Rally  (Read 5517 times)

TIGER8855

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
LCD in Daytona/Sega Rally
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:20:30 pm »
Hey guys,

Looking for anyone that has seen or done an LCD conversion in a Daytona or Sega Rally. What I'm wanting to know is the screen size that was used and how the LCD was incorporated with the existing bezel.

I have found a great 27 inch IPS monitor (ASUS MX279H) which I'm trying to incorporate in my twin but it will involve significant cutting of the bezel. I have attached a pic which shows how much will need to be cut. One of the problems with the cut is due to the angle in of the side bits, the cut will bring the monitor forward.

This monitor is virtually borderless so it's the smallest 27 inch monitor I could find (623mm/24.5 inches wide). Another option would be to get the next size down but for PC monitors that's 24 inches which is too small. I know they make TV's in 26 inch but I'm not sure about the quality via vga/dvi and I know there can be issues with input lag. Plus there doesn't seem to be many 26 inch TV's around and I would still probably need to still cut the bezel although not as much offcourse.

So like I said at the start, looking for someone that has done this before.

synonym9

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2015, 09:44:32 pm
Re: LCD in Daytona/Sega Rally
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:07:44 am »

I have a twin too and thought about such conversion as well.

If I would do it I just would but it BEHIND the exisming bezel and would display the image 4:3.
With HLSL you can even adjust the picture to the bezel shape like round corners and curved outlines.

You cannot do it anymore original-looking.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:34 am »
Have not seen it done with that bezel.
Every one I've seen has had the speakers relocated somewhere else and used the full width.

There was a link of a really sweet build on a foreign site posted here at some time, but I can't find it now.
IIRC, that one used a 29" screen.
A 32" is pretty close to fitting if decased, but is pretty iffy.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:56:04 am »
I have a 26" vizio in my sega model 3 cab. Had a new bezel made at a picture frame shop. There was some lag, idk if its the screen or my pc. I just upgraded my video card. I will have to run some tests. I just took a lcd screen mount, some 3/4" stock. Left the mounting in place, drill holes in the wood to match the crt mounting holes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

TIGER8855

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:53:40 pm »
If I would do it I just would but it BEHIND the exisming bezel and would display the image 4:3.

I can't go with the 4:3 option as I will also be playing newer PC games.

Have not seen it done with that bezel.
Every one I've seen has had the speakers relocated somewhere else and used the full width.

There was a link of a really sweet build on a foreign site posted here at some time, but I can't find it now.
IIRC, that one used a 29" screen.
A 32" is pretty close to fitting if decased, but is pretty iffy.

My original plan was to go full width and just put a sheet of glass in front to cover the whole area and then locate the speakers above the monitor so I guess I still have that option.

I think this is the link your referring to:
http://www.retrovicio.org/foro/showthread.php?18979-Ext2k-Race-Driving-Cabinet-(otra-movida-mas!)

Looks like a good option although that is the American version with the wooden sides which makes it easy to add the mount brackets. Mine is the Jap version with the plastic sides so It makes it harder to do it that way.

I have a 26" vizio in my sega model 3 cab. Had a new bezel made at a picture frame shop. There was some lag, idk if its the screen or my pc. I just upgraded my video card. I will have to run some tests. I just took a lcd screen mount, some 3/4" stock. Left the mounting in place, drill holes in the wood to match the crt mounting holes.

Making a new bezel from a picture frame. Great idea and might work for me.

I think in the end of the day for me, the 27 Inch IPS PC monitor is what I want in the cab so I will probably go ahead and buy it and then work out the best way to mount it.