Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crimping Tool  (Read 7645 times)

sleong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 04:11:56 pm
  • Novice builder of Arcade Machines
Crimping Tool
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
Just want to get your thoughts on a crimping tool.

Ratcheting crimping tool vs Manual crimping tool

Where would one go to get the tool? I mean I see them here at local hardware stores like Home Depot and other similar stores but they are usually the manual crimping tool and they run for about $35+ which seems like quite a bit for a simple tool, yet it seems like the tool is not very sturdy and may not produce a good crimp.

I've got all the insulated quick connects for the buttons and joystick but now just need the tool to crimp it.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Crimping Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:22 pm »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:50 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:25:50 pm »

Ratcheting crimping tools are the best, especially if you have a lot of them to do.  It may seem like a lot of money, but you'll save time, get better crimps, and your hand won't be hurting by time you finish.  They are also handy around the house/garage for making repairs.

And, here's one for just $10.  How can you go wrong? :)

Nephasth

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »
Harbor Freight has these for $3.79 ( http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-four-way-crimping-tool-92410.html )

Piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. Worst example of a crimping tool you could have posted. You get what you pay for.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32:17 pm »
http://www.pimfg.com/ is a great source for affordable ratcheting crimpers.

The jaws on page 74 of the catalog PDF work with the HT-336 frame or the Harbor Freight crimpers that RandyT linked above.

The Harbor Freight crimpers are slightly lower quality than the HT-336 -- check the HF crimpers before you buy them to ensure they are working properly. (The first pair I checked weren't functioning/adjusted properly.)

These P/Ns are the ones I ended up getting.
HF Ratcheting Crimp Pliers for QDs
HT-336-FM Crimp Tool Frame (for D-subs)
HT-236-2C4-DIE (236 dies work in the 336 frame, check out the "data sheet" tab for detailed view)
HT-236-2U-DIE
HT-225D Crimp tool (for D-subs)

Scott

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:32:59 pm »

Ratcheting crimping tools are the best, especially if you have a lot of them to do.  It may seem like a lot of money, but you'll save time, get better crimps, and your hand won't be hurting by time you finish.  They are also handy around the house/garage for making repairs.

And, here's one for just $10.  How can you go wrong? :)

Saw this before but to ship to Canada they want something like $35-$40 just on shipping alone for that one tool!!

Randy now if I was to be getting some joysticks and buttons would you be able to pick this up and ship it with the package together? 

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:39:19 pm »
http://www.pimfg.com/ is a great source for affordable ratcheting crimpers.

The jaws on page 74 of the catalog PDF work with the HT-336 frame or the Harbor Freight crimpers that RandyT linked above.

The Harbor Freight crimpers are slightly lower quality than the HT-336 -- check the HF crimpers before you buy them to ensure they are working properly. (The first pair I checked weren't functioning/adjusted properly.)

These P/Ns are the ones I ended up getting.
HF Ratcheting Crimp Pliers for QDs
HT-336-FM Crimp Tool Frame (for D-subs)
HT-236-2C4-DIE (236 dies work in the 336 frame, check out the "data sheet" tab for detailed view)
HT-236-2U-DIE
HT-225D Crimp tool (for D-subs)

Scott

Scott,

Probably for the amount I will be crimping which I don't see a whole lot of!  Maybe for a few cab only it would be sufficient. 

I didn't see any prices on the PI Manufacturing catalog so I cannot really compare between price.

If the cost difference isn't all that much and it justifies to get something of better quality then I may consider it but again will depend on the freight charges to Canada.

Anlot of places are making a killing profit from shipping charges!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:32:14 pm »
I didn't see any prices on the PI Manufacturing catalog so I cannot really compare between price.

If the cost difference isn't all that much and it justifies to get something of better quality then I may consider it but again will depend on the freight charges to Canada.

The PDF has hyperlinks embedded or plug the part numbers into the search box in another tab/window.

I think the items you want are the HT-336-FM frame and either the HT-336H-DIE or the HT-336W-DIE dies -- not sure about the differences between them.

The PIMfg crimp frame and die set will cost about twice as much as the Harbor Freight, but they are definitely higher quality and you might make up the difference on shipping charges.  ::)

Scott

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:47:35 pm »
My ratcheting crimping tool is the best investment for this hobby I made, after my soldering/desoldering station.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:23 pm »
Randy now if I was to be getting some joysticks and buttons would you be able to pick this up and ship it with the package together?

I would, but we only get to Watertown about once a month.  Maybe the next time I go there, I'll pick up a few to put on the store. :)

sleong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:33:56 am »

I would, but we only get to Watertown about once a month.  Maybe the next time I go there, I'll pick up a few to put on the store. :)

Randy when is your next trip there?  Then I can plan when to place an order for the parts I need.

ArcadeNerd

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2021, 10:16:00 am
  • When's it my frickin turn to play?!?
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »
I am seriously angry that I didn't buy a ratcheting crimper sooner.  I used the yellow piece of :censored: like shown above and after a project my hands would actually hurt from using it.  I recently bought http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18900-Professional-Ratcheting/dp/B0002STTSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383149952&sr=8-1&keywords=S%26G+Tool+Aid+18900+Professional+Ratcheting+Terminal+Crimper and I was amazed how much better it was.  This was after MANY MANY MANY crimpings for projects with the other and plenty of pain afterwards.

Never again will I use that yellow piece of  :censored:.  I wish I would have seen a post like this when I was getting started working on games so I could have saved myself the pain and anguish.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
I bought a ratcheting crimper from harbor freight for $10 and it worked great.I wish I would have purchased it years ago.I wired up my 4 player panel..48 switches, 96 crimps and my hand did not hurt at all when I was done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

mann0mann

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 12:31:54 pm
  • Still looking for the right project...
    • My Hobby Store
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 03:16:54 pm »
Have the same one...works very well for me. 

Took a few tries to sort of get how it worked but I'm a pro at it now.  ;-)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 12:39:46 am »
Harbor Freight has these for $3.79 ( http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-four-way-crimping-tool-92410.html )

Piece of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. Worst example of a crimping tool you could have posted. You get what you pay for.

I have one that looks like that. It isn't Harbor Freight sourced but I have been using it for 13 years.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:07 am »
I have one that looks like that. It isn't Harbor Freight sourced but I have been using it for 13 years.

Good versions of this variety aren't too bad.  It's a very simple design, so there's not much which can go wrong with them.  Just like anything, you tend to get what you pay for, so if you get the real deal (i.e. a proper electrician's tool) rather than the dime store home variety, there's a big difference in comfort, stability and longevity.

Regardless, a decent, lower cost ratcheting crimper will still probably be better than an expensive "plier" type.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 10:36:04 am »
I'm using this..

My crimps look like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:39 am »
Yeah, I've got 1 of those yellow handled pieces of crap. Not only does it kill my hand, the wire strippers on it r s**t too.
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:32 am »
For stripping and quick disconnects, I use one like this (it was recommended by someone here):

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industrial-Tools-2078309-Stripper/dp/B000JNNWQ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1383230502&sr=8-7&keywords=crimper

Note the construction is backwards compared to the yellow one. The stripping occurs at the top, where you don't need as much force, and the crimping occurs on the other side of the pivot point, where you get more leverage. No more sore hands!  :cheers:

For Molex, it's a ratcheting crimper.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:35:02 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:25 pm »

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 03:05:55 pm »
My weapons of choice...

Cutting:

[Lindstrom 7191]

Stripping:

[Abeco Microstrip]

Crimping:

[Hozan P-706]

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:40 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »
Why would anyone spend money on wire strippers?  You were born with a set of them.

:dizzy:

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 09:44:05 am »
Yeah, when I was a kid, I used to strip 26awg with my teeth. But I think they've gotten dull over the years; I can't do it now.  :-[
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida