Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Zippy Vs Omni2 Arcade joysticks,  (Read 1666 times)

shayvidas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2016, 09:18:22 pm
  • mame Fan Forever !!!
Zippy Vs Omni2 Arcade joysticks,
« on: October 18, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »
so i got it all down but the joysticks,
can't deceide if i want to

Zippy >
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=371

or the omni >
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=383

they're both good off-cures the Zippy is cheaper, don't know if they really feel the same,
if i get the Zippy there is also a question of getting the longer shaft, did anyone got it with the long shaft ? how does it feel ?
too long ? just ok ?
what of thoughs two should i get ?

* i am going to use it as 8 way joystick, but still don't want it to spin too freely, as in there is nothing that supports it...

my opinion goes tords the Zippy mainly because it's half the price, i think the other one is just too short for an adult to play no ?

thnx  :applaud:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:34:59 pm by shayvidas »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Re: Zippy Vs Omni2 Arcade joysticks,
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »
Do like I did Shay.  If you require two joysticks buy them both, test them out and use whatever one you like better as your primary.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:18:21 pm »
I have the zippyy it is servicable.  The omni gives you excellent switchability between 4 way and 8 way. But in my opinion if you are going to spend that jack get you a JLF from ebay.

redbeard30

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2023, 10:32:16 am
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »
I had 3 zippys (2 8 ways and a 4 way) all long handles. I ended up going with IL competition sticks for the 8 ways and a modified happ super for the 4 way. I felt the zippys after awhile got too loose. Had trouble hitting circular moves with the zippys. The IL sticks I have found to very good for all types of games except 4 way games of course. They are built like a tank. I believe they are a little better quality than the happ comps. Just my opinion though, and everyone's play style will vary. But I love them!

shayvidas

• Offline Offline
  • mame Fan Forever !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:24:35 am »
I had 3 zippys (2 8 ways and a 4 way) all long handles. I ended up going with IL competition sticks for the 8 ways and a modified happ super for the 4 way. I felt the zippys after awhile got too loose. Had trouble hitting circular moves with the zippys. The IL sticks I have found to very good for all types of games except 4 way games of course. They are built like a tank. I believe they are a little better quality than the happ comps. Just my opinion though, and everyone's play style will vary. But I love them!

ammm...when you say IL you mean the omni2 sticks ?
i didn't understand ..:(

shayvidas

• Offline Offline
  • mame Fan Forever !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:27:47 am »
Do like I did Shay.  If you require two joysticks buy them both, test them out and use whatever one you like better as your primary.

yea i would :) but the thing is my gf is going to play with the other one lal the time, so i need them both to be good...

redbeard30

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2023, 10:32:16 am
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:42:50 am »

No experience with the Omni's. Just stating my experience with zippys. IL is a Spanish manufacturer of joysticks. They used to make joys for Happ.. Happ now makes they're own joys but are in some ways inferior to the IL branded ones. They look identical though.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:41:26 am »
Had trouble hitting circular moves with the zippys.

Here's a tip for those using Zippyy's for mainly fighters;  Remove the green restrictor plate, instead of just leaving at the square 8-way position.  It's smoother and the corners are much less pronounced.  Should make those circular moves easier to pull off.  It's also good advice for classic games players who don't prefer square restriction with 8-way operation.

Tweaking the switch levers a bit to make them a little more sensitive can help as well.  The standard lever position when shipped is meant to allow for proper operation with both 4 and 8-way setting of the restrictor plate.  If you are configuring them as 8-way, there's no need to worry about the effects of the switch lever tweaks on 4-way operation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:57:07 am by RandyT »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:11:42 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:28:04 pm »

Quick guide for Happ / IL sticks:

Happ Competition = IL Eurostick
Happ Super = IL Compact

Scott