Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Squeeko: The Tale of a Psychopath  (Read 1802 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:13:02 am
Squeeko: The Tale of a Psychopath
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:25:51 am »
So, some of you know I've been busy with 'other' projects.  One of those was helping my eldest daughter to complete her high school final year media assignment.  She commandeered our home theater for about 5 months, we stripped the room, built a stage, put in a cyc, built sets, and proceeded to shoot over 3500 frames of stop motion photography.  It helps if you've seen the (original) film Psycho for some context re:what its about, but it still stands on its own as a short 6 min film.

My wife did the screaming....with great enthusiasm , so much so I was shhhing her in fear of neighbors ringing the cops  :lol.  I did the voices for 'Perky' and others......Anyway check it out:

The HT is now my again to continue refurbishing and finishing.  I'm turning my attention to things arcade once again so there should be build updates along...any day now ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:35:19 am by Ond »

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
AW: Squeeko: The Tale of a Psychopath
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:44:18 am »
Wow, that was awesome. Great work from all of you. Looks really good and the car scenes made me giggle. Too bad about the sound artifacts that are related to pitchshifting too heavy but I'm an sound engineer and no one will care. A+!

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Re: Squeeko: The Tale of a Psychopath
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:42:08 am »
Really nice and great work for a high school student.  Looks like she's got a great future in film!  Peter Jackson's right across the puddle in NZ you know.   The model of the house was well done.

Ond

• Offline Offline
Re: AW: Squeeko: The Tale of a Psychopath
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:03:30 pm »
Wow, that was awesome. Great work from all of you. Looks really good and the car scenes made me giggle. Too bad about the sound artifacts that are related to pitchshifting too heavy but I'm an sound engineer and no one will care. A+!

Thanks!  I sure am proud of Suzi, she had a fun idea for the assignment, cute and a bit disturbing all at once.  Given more time we would have sorted the pitch shifting issues but she only just managed to finish the post production in time for the submission cut-off.

Really nice and great work for a high school student.  Looks like she's got a great future in film!  Peter Jackson's right across the puddle in NZ you know.   The model of the house was well done.

Thanks TJC, she wants to be writer, I'd be thrilled for her to be either a director or writer (or both).  The best fun I had in helping out was solving some of the technical challenges to her ideas.  Some examples,  I thought of using food colored porridge (oats) for the car sinking into the swamp scene, this totally didn't work out.  We instead used finely ground up foam rubber floating on water.  Creating the wizened mummified 'Mother' character I carved and shaped a character from polystyrene and then gave it a short blast with a hot air gun to shrivel it a little, and then painted it, worked great!  That movie prop now takes pride of place on her bedroom shelf under the tree we made from coat hanger, wire, foam rubber and tiling cement.

Anyone wants a great recipe for fake blood, ping me, I perfected one that looked so damn real it was freaky.

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »
Pretty neat.  I liked the fact it went "old-school" with film grain/dirt.   :)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »
Pretty neat.  I liked the fact it went "old-school" with film grain/dirt.   :)

Thanks, that was a lot of fun,  Suzi and I had to learn a bunch of things in Adobe After Effects to get that effect - YouTube is so useful!

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
Another A+ here. After seeing the very first of 3500 frames (the house), I knew it was going to be great. haha!    :dizzy:   :cheers:
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:08:42 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »
All I can say is....Wow!  Well done.