Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Stand-up Daytona USA oddness  (Read 1962 times)

geoffers2013

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2014, 09:02:00 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Stand-up Daytona USA oddness
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:08:38 am »
Dear all,

just onto my second "official" project, and have come up against an oddity, which I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on.

I have recently acquired a stand-up Sega Daytona USA cab, which I am cleaning up and restoring some.

All works great (I did have a lil issue with the break peddle, that was swiftly resolved with some WD-40), however I have a real oddity with the accelerator peddle.

The accelerator works fine in-game, and is good and responsive, however, when starting the game, if you press the peddle to jump out of the count down and start, nothing happens.  Likewise, if you are asked to enter your initials at the end of a game, hitting the gas peddle to enter them does nothing...

Anyone any ideas as I am a lil stumped.

Cheers.

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:03:54 am
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
Re: Stand-up Daytona USA oddness
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:24:01 am »
Give the test menu a try, most likely releasing the pedal does not turn off the poti far enough.
Likewise the car should accelerate by itself (altough very slowly) if not using the pedal.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

geoffers2013

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:31:54 am »
Hi Sailor,

cheers for that, I will try that this evening and post back.

Cheers.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:31 am
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:33:49 pm »
i had a similar problem with my super hangon: the brake lever (a potentiometer, essentially) was perfectly working in-game, but i couldn't select the music in the menu nor i could set the letters in the hiscore board. Turned out that the pot did'nt turn off far enought when released (so, in the first few degrees the brake send the input for music selection, and after the input to brake).

geoffers2013

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:42:06 am »
Cheers for the input... yeah I think it is definitely the POT.  I went into test last night and it seems it doesn't fully turn.  Likewise, when I am "in race" it accelerates slightly even when I don't touch the peddle.

I am going to take the peddle assembly apart this weekend, and start with a good clean up of it (it is really pretty mucky through having been a sited machine for so long before I got it)... Having looked around it seems they are pretty standard 5K pots in the peddles on these?

I will report back on what a good clean achieves.