Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LAN play  (Read 2898 times)

ant2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
LAN play
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:24:21 am »
So I'm soon to start my second sit down racer, this is purely for 2 player action.

The PC games are fine to link up, I have no issues with that.

I should also be able to get the model2 link up working fine. I was just going to create a new directory on my primary unit with all the settings in place.

I wanted to control it all via the front end still, so I was going to create an additional wheel for "multiplayer"

What I think would be really cool is getting the N64 and other emulated games working without having to use the mouse  -/kailera etc

Has anyone gotten this working before I start looking in to this?

spoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
Re: LAN play
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:28:52 am »
I've not played with racers.......but look at MameHub as well.  It does lan/net play via modified MAME and MESS (UME now actually).

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:48:07 pm »
I haven't seen it done before.

Do you plan on running Steam on both cabs?
If so, how do you plan to set it up?

Originally I'd planned on having all the games on both cabs using my primary account.  Of course, they couldn't be played simultaneously.
But I'd have a second account with a second copy of the games I'd like to play multiplayer.
Steam keeps having me re-enter my password when I've played on a different computer though (even though I have it set to remember password and logon automatically).  I can't have it asking to log back in every time people change games.

There is also a "family sharing" thing in beta testing where you can loan people games, but of course it says both can't play the game at the same time.
I'm assuming that if both own the game, they can be played simultaneously.  If so, this might be the best solution if the games can still be launched from a front-end.

Then I was wondering if the games would connect over LAN if the second setup were run in offline mode....and in that case could I get away with only having one copy of each game.  >:D

I haven't experimented with any of this yet, just trying to get a feel for how it might work. 

ant2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:44:06 am »
I was planning on using MESS as this support command line options.

I will give steam a go, but i've only a few games.

Just trying to find as many Emu's as possible that support command line network flags, this way I can get it to work without a keyboard and mouse, which is a PITA :)