Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Any "How To" Videos for Initial & Flush Trim Routering ??  (Read 1662 times)

CaptainMarvel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
Any "How To" Videos for Initial & Flush Trim Routering ??
« on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:22 pm »
Admittedly, I don't yet have a whole lot of experience using a router.  I've had my 2HP Craftsman Fixed Base Router now for nearly two years, and it hasn't seen a lick of action yet.

One of the things I'm feeling most trepidatious about is taking the router to the first side panel cutout - you know, after initially cutting it out with the jigsaw - to get it as "perfect" as possible to the appropriate measurements.  I'm nervous about hiccuping and routering a big ole indentation into the panel.

I'm thinking that once the first panel is achieved, then flush trimming the other side panel using the first as the guide is a bit less daunting . . . at least I'm hoping so.

Nevertheless, it's that first one I'm most nervous about - since that's the one that will be used as the guide for the second.

I always learn better visually than I do via reading/text - so I was wondering if anyone knows of any "how to" videos that, perhaps, demonstrate the whole process of cutting the fist panel ... using the router to "perfect" it to specs ... and then using that first as the guide for flush trimming the second panel.

Did any of that make sense?    :dizzy:

Looking forward to any advice, insight and/or video resources you can provide.

TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."

CaptainMarvel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2020, 04:49:55 pm
Re: Any "How To" Videos for Initial & Flush Trim Routering ??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:12:49 pm »
I wanted to give a big ole THANK YOU shout-out to community member PL1 (aka: Scott) for posting the following advice/insight into the very issue I described above (from thread -> http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131994.40.html)

Quote from: PL1
For full-size cab sides, I'd recommend:

1. Make a full-size template in 1/2 MDF or plywood. (BONUS: Makes building a second cab easier.)

2. Trace the outline of the template onto 3/4 MDF or plywood.

3. Use jigsaw, drill, and/or circular saw to cut *close* to the outline. (Hopefully less dust in step 4)

4. Clamp the template to the rough-cut side and use a router + flush trim bit to make an exact copy of the template.

*** Ensure that the router rides flat to keep the sides perpindicular to the face. ***

5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the other side.

Scott

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:cheers:
TOM

Understanding that you may not see success instantly, but that all your good decisions add up to a cumulative success over time is what separates those who "get there" and those who don't. Every day you either get further away from your goals, or closer to them . . . Its up to YOU."