Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ipad arcade cabinet  (Read 5636 times)

3dsero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2013, 07:41:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ipad arcade cabinet
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:10:38 pm »
Hi everybody.

I recently finished my little version of the weecade for an ipad i have, my first thought was about doing a dual player bartop, with a computer inside, but then i saw the potencial of doing a smaller one for fitting the ipad inside, this gadget if you have it jailbreaked it can be a full functional arcade machine, with powerfull emulators like imame4all, imame4ios, snes, megadrive and some more.

As many of you know there is a comercial model for transforming an ipad into an arcade machine called icade, but i wanted to do one by myself because i don't like the general icade' design , so taking the original plans of the weecade, i designed cabinet with a double guide system inside, this way the ipad fits vertically or horizontally depending on the game you play, and the ipad is always inside, so the feeling of an arcade machine is better than the icade, where the ipad looks everytime outside the cabinet.

I'll post here some images of the finished cabinet and a video for showing that it is fully functional,  but if you want to see the full development you can go to my blog http://www.3dsero.com/blog (not sure if i'm broking some rule putting a link outside the forum), you will see that it's it's only in spanish, sorry for this, maybe at some moment i can do a full translation of it, but if anybody has any question i'll be happy answering him.

Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_woeB27QPxY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:19:42 pm by 3dsero »

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 09:24:54 pm
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
Re: Ipad arcade cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:34 pm »
very nice

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 09:26:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »
 :applaud:
 awesome!!  Love the artwork.

Well done Matt.

:cheers:

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 09:24:54 pm
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »

I hope you don't mind I put the video on for you.
I love how you switch from vertical to horizontal.

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »
Very nice!  Much nicer aesthetics than the iCade.

I am surprised that more "tablet drop-in" bartops aren't seen around here - maybe you'll start a trend.  I now want one for my nook HD+.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »
How did you interface the controls to the tablet?  I've got a Motorola Xoom that I would LOVE to use this way!!

3dsero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2013, 07:41:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 01:05:42 am »
I hope you don't mind I put the video on for you.
Of course i don't mind in fact thanks for that.

I am surprised that more "tablet drop-in" bartops aren't seen around here - maybe you'll start a trend.  I now want one for my nook HD+.

I think not many people know the potential of tablets like the ipad for using them as arcade machines, for example would be cool to see some similar project with even more small tablets like the ipad mini, i talk about apple devices because are the ones i know, but for sure other tablets will work too

How did you interface the controls to the tablet?  I've got a Motorola Xoom that I would LOVE to use this way!!

Really I dont't know anything about the xoom, the ipad when it is jailbreaked, allows to connect through bluetooth a wiimote, so you can play emulators using this control device, the only thing you have to do for adapting to the control panel of the cabinet is to make the connections from the buttons and joystick to the plaque of the wiimote this way:

It's a bit tricky because some point connections are really small.

Happy you all like the project, thanks!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:39:23 pm »
Never occurred to me to hack a wiimote and connect wirelessly.  I'm wondering if a USB OTG adapter would allow me to connect a standard encoder...  Brain is now churning, thanks!

Chris Goodwin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2015, 08:23:20 pm
  • I was a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:56 pm »
The iCade acts like a bluetooth keyboard, and the iPad treats it like one when it connects.  The iCade games don't care whether it's a USB keyboard or a bluetooth keyboard, so you can use the Camera Connection Kit to connect any old USB thing to it (I recommend a powered hub).  I programmed an Arduino to act like the iCade, connected a Sega Genesis controller to it, connected it to my iPad through the CCK, and played iCade compatible games using that.  You can find the iCade keymap out on the web by doing a Google search; the main thing is that it sends one keycode when you close a switch and a different one when you open it, so you'll need to account for that.  That was trivial on the Arduino but I don't know if other controllers can behave the same way absent hacking something up with the NC side of the switches. 
Chris Goodwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:00:17 pm »
wow!

Bastante lindo!

Good job!

mgb

• Offline Offline