Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Post Mortems on completed projects  (Read 2023 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Post Mortems on completed projects
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:13 pm »
Hey, I've been thinking that it would be good habit and information for builders to write up a small Post Mortem on their completed projects once they're done.

Most people tend to just post completed pictures, some folks write up a small blurb on how the outcome turned out, end costs, etc.. But it would be nice to read what the experience of the project has taught them, things they would do differently (what went wrong), and what they're more proud of (what went right).

Thoughts?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Post Mortems on completed projects
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:59:57 pm »
Ok.
My last project "A Little Rage" is a hit with my 3 yr old grand daughter.
She lives about an hour and half drive from me, but I did get to see her last weekend.
She showed me how to turn it on, and we played her favorite game, World Class Bowling. Of course she won.
(She laughed when I threw a gutter ball.)

I have learned form this project to take the time and do a neat wiring job. Also ground everything metal.
(I learned this from an earlier project, where the keywiz started acting crazy. Found that I had forgot to ground the coin door, and the cab was sitting on a carpeted floor, so no doubt it was static electricity.)

Link to "A Little Rage" is in my signature.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Post Mortems on completed projects
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 11:36:42 am »
Leave room for possible future upgrades. This came in handy on my interface panel.

It went from this:

To this:

To this:

And ended up with this:

By making my panel larger than it needed to be in the beginning, it made it easy for me to make changes and additions that originally weren't planned for during the course of my build. The same thing applied to my harnesses as well. By using connectors with more pins than needed, I was able to add wires to some harnesses for additions that weren't originally planned for instead of making new harnesses for those additions.