Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Your Favorite U360 Restrictor & Spring (overall settings)  (Read 1067 times)

EddieArcadian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 05:24:39 am
Your Favorite U360 Restrictor & Spring (overall settings)
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:20:13 pm »
Just want to hear your preference on how you have your U360 setup...  I am about to buy a set of 4, and wanted opinions on ordering all the accessories.

What is your favorite U360 restrictor pate and why?  Perhaps you prefer it with no restrictor plate?  What springs do you prefer?  Any other settings or mods you like on it?  Is the long handle a must?  Do NES games play better with the square?

Also, I know it's a matter of preference, but do you prefer the ball top or bat top?  I've always envisioned my cab with bats... especially since it's a Blitz cab... but I can imagine ball tops have slightly better control overall for most games... fighter obviously= bat... but I'm torn on which to order.  Any suggesions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
EA
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:30:33 pm by EddieArcadian »
I applaud you, Leroy. That was a great finish. Not quite the ending I had in mind, but it was a great finish. You see a .45 will put an end to all this kung fu crap. All it takes is one little bullet. So take your final bow, scum sucker.  ~Eddie Arcadian - Self-proclaimed Video Game King & Bruce Leroy's Arch-Rival as seen in Berry Gordy's hit movie The Last Dragon

UFO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:37:12 pm
  • Im nearly out of unproductive things to do at work
Re: Your Favorite U360 Restrictor & Spring (overall settings)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:03:32 pm »
I have a u360 and although I cant add to your questions as its not installed yet, I'd be keen to hear everyones input to this.

I have a bat, and no restrictors... I am slightly concerned about how it will play once installed as I dont want a wobbly or lose feel to it.

I have the standard spring (not stiff), and short handle too.

This may be of some help to you though which I saw the other week:

EssJay

kixfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 06:59:26 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »
I've had a u360 for 2-3 years now.   Very happy with it.   I initially had the stiffer spring in it for 2-3 months and found that it was binding up.  After switching back to the original spring I really like it better.   I found that every 3-4 months I need to put a drop or two of high speed oil in it.   I'm old school, so ball top all the way.   Also, I believe I have the 4-8 way restrictor.    For the occasional game that requires diagonals this works well.  In one of the recent high score competition (Scramble) I realized that it's almost impossible to do several sections without full diagonal access.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:41 pm »
Completing the all metal band avatar lineup for the responses to this post . . . .

circular restrictor here and the medium spring.  Andy's recommended silicone plumber's grease when any lube is needed- maybe once a year with fairly low usage. 

this is a solution that covers a lot but isn't perfect for much. 

light spring is too light except maybe for analog games only.  hard spring is, well, a little more resistance than I like.  I have all 3. 

Analog games only- no restrictor.
fighting games, 8 way games in general - octagon
all of the above - circular. 

UFO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:37:12 pm
  • Im nearly out of unproductive things to do at work
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »
Completing the all metal band avatar lineup for the responses to this post . . . .

:applaud:

Nephasth

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »

:applaud:

Not yet! ;)

My U360s are balltop, octagonal restrictors, and stiff springs. I noticed binding early on with them, and fixed this with Andy's recommendation of adding plumber's silcone grease to the pivot joint in the stick. Haven't had a problem since, and I absolutely love this setup!

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:26:32 pm »
Any chance he'd make a retrofit kit available to convert a stock bat top stick into this configuration?

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

monkey puzzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:11:59 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:03:31 pm »
My personal preference is bat-top.
I think the stiff springs is a must. I couldn't use the ones that were supplied with it.
I got fed up with ordering extra parts for my sticks so I made a set of restrictor plates from some spare bits of sheet plastic. They work a treat for 4 way, 8 way and analog, although sometimes I wish I could feel those corners :(

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:47:11 pm »
I have two bat top u360s, regular shaft with stiff springs, no restrictor. I have the octagon, but didn't like them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade