Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HTML5 FrontEnd  (Read 43225 times)

arximidis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2020, 03:52:48 am
Re: HTML5 FrontEnd
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2014, 04:44:46 pm »
version 3.0 has been uloaded

download link: http://users.ntua.gr/dpiperid/MyWebPage/Catalog/games/HTMLFrontEndEN.htm

The installation procedure, at least for the qt versions is here : http://users.ntua.gr/dpiperid/MyWebPage/Catalog/games/FE_tutor/htmlFEtutorEN.htm
For the IE version you don't need the qt4 libraries and the freepascal qt4 binding. IE version requires only internet explorer 9+ (currently the css animations will not work properly for version 9)

Don't forget to setup the emulators by editing the settings.ini files in each directory

I am waiting for the feedback!
Have fun!!!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 07:38:23 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2014, 05:56:13 pm »
version 3.0 has been uloaded

download link: http://users.ntua.gr/dpiperid/MyWebPage/Catalog/games/HTMLFrontEndEN.htm

The installation procedure, at least for the qt versions is here : http://users.ntua.gr/dpiperid/MyWebPage/Catalog/games/FE_tutor/htmlFEtutorEN.htm
For the IE version you don't need the qt4 libraries and the freepascal qt4 binding. IE version requires only internet explorer 9+ (currently the css animations will not work properly for version 9)

Don't forget to setup the emulators by editing the settings.ini files in each directory

I am waiting for the feedback!
Have fun!!!

WOW.  Pretty much flawless out of the box.  Sounds, execution, everything working great!!  I've been tweaking settings and playing with rotation and the like looking for bugs but haven't crashed once.  I've found one little bug I think:  In cube the sound effect for changing between emulators seems to be intermittent.  Other than that...WOW.  Like I said.

I've got a few more things to test out (using a joystick, running programs ahead of other programs, etc) but this is a huge leap forward.  I'm using the IE version btw and it worked great right out of the box w/out issue. 

Once I get my layout complete I'll be putting together a short tutorial and linking this over on the SW FE thread.

:cheers:  :applaud:  :cheers:  :applaud:  :cheers:  :applaud: 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 04:45:12 am »
 :woot
Thats great news!!!

I've found one little bug I think:  In cube the sound effect for changing between emulators seems to be intermittent.  Other than that...WOW.  Like I said.

:banghead:
OMG This stupid bug passed through?
Anyway, I have re-uploaded the fixed code. If you download it, backup your settings.dat file inside default640x480 theme directory. Then overwrite the one that it is inside the new version. In this way you won't loose your settings

EDIT I have also fixed a minor bug on the IE version of the browser (please download again). Tha bug had to do with not being able to hide the mouse cursor
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:14:13 am by arximidis »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2014, 09:37:12 am »
Ok, so this won't work on 32 bit linux?
Out of curiosity how much cpu/video card do I need to run this smoothly?

My build is using a single core 1.8ghz P4 with roughly 700mb of ram and a gforce 2 video card.

I have compiled the 32bit version too and I will release it, but I have not test it
I have only tested the 64bit which seems to work just fine

In my machine I have 2.6ghz pentium D with 512MB RAM and it works. It consumes about 20mb (depends on how many emulators you will add to the carousel and the sizes of the pictures) of ram and the cpu power is below 3% on idle. It increases when you rotate the carousel (less than 20%), but it drops again.
The settings that consume more power are the starfield effect and the animated background (A static background picture will not affect the cpu power)
With starfield effect the cpu power is about 35%
With an animated gif background it goes to 45%

This will be a classic cab with golden tee as the only newer game so I don't need a lot.

Should I just stick with wahcade for this PC then?

If you are satisfied with wahcade, why change it?

P.S. Getting ready for the upload (maybe today)

Actually, this will be my first cab so i'm trying out all the front ends that work on linux to see which one works best for me and your front end will take the least amount of work to install on a micro distro that I can boot off a CF card because there are less dependencies.

and thanks.

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:10 am »
I have build and uploaded the 32bit version for linux too. I haven't tested it yet. Only the 64bit on a Linux Mint distro.
If you test it, let me know if you encounter any problems

Thank you

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »
I have build and uploaded the 32bit version for linux too. I haven't tested it yet. Only the 64bit on a Linux Mint distro.
If you test it, let me know if you encounter any problems

Thank you

I will try to test it tonight after the kids go to bed.
Thanks.

Ok, on two different linux installs the startup lightening animation runs then it either sits there with a grey screen or just closes.
I gotta be missing something.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:49:16 am by nitrogen_widget »

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2014, 11:35:44 am »
Ok, on two different linux installs the startup lightening animation runs then it either sits there with a grey screen or just closes.
I gotta be missing something.

That means it doesn't run the html5 video tag. It's not supporting it. In the Linux versions I have removed vlc plugin. Maybe it's time to bring it back
You can try the 64bit version on Liux Mint 16 for example, which I used for testing

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »
Great News

I managed to fix the crashes on the QT version.
The reason I am still working on QT version is because it runs normally on windows XP.
The IE version instead requires a version of windows where you can install IE9+ (meaning vista or higher)

The QT version still requires vlc to be installed and it works on Linux too

I will upload the new version 3.1, soon

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2014, 09:06:57 pm »
That's great news, my cab for this FE is winXP, didn't even realize this would have been an issue. Good deal  :cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »
Great News

The reason I am still working on QT version is because it runs normally on windows XP.
The IE version instead requires a version of windows where you can install IE9+ (meaning vista or higher)

so this will now work on 32 bit linux?
I was going to try it on 64 bit tonight.

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2014, 04:40:03 am »
Great News

so this will now work on 32 bit linux?
I was going to try it on 64 bit tonight.

This is for windows users. The method I am using to fix the crashes it doesn't work well on Linux (until now it crashes all the time)

The 64bit version, on the other hand works just fine. Remember it's depending on qt libraries. In most cases they are preinstalled  but you will need to install the qt4 freepascal binding
You don't need vlc because it's all html5.
Tested on 64bit linux mint 16

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2014, 06:43:54 am »
Pclinuxos 64bit lxde desktop. It works great.

Rodent.Vienna

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 03:47:26 am
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:39 am »
wow, impressed on the movement on fresh FE development these days.

I wonder if this could serve as a simplified drop-in-replacement for hyperspin, with at least support for flv/mp4, keymappers and databases.
Hyperlaunch support should be possible already in some way...

Thanks for the initiative - i thought myself from a noob-point-of-view that html as technology should allow pretty much THIS.

kind regards
Alex

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:33 am »
wow, impressed on the movement on fresh FE development these days.

I wonder if this could serve as a simplified drop-in-replacement for hyperspin, with at least support for flv/mp4, keymappers and databases.
Hyperlaunch support should be possible already in some way...

Thanks for the initiative - i thought myself from a noob-point-of-view that html as technology should allow pretty much THIS.

kind regards
Alex

Hello Alex and thank you for the nice words

This forntEnd already supports databases in the form of xml files (I beleive hyperspin does the same). However, It's not a full support yet
It is also supporting categories but only in the form of ini files (and for now there is no gui to create the categories inside the ForntEnd. You need to create/edit the ini files)
Generally ini files load faster, because they are processed directly by the browser

PS. I already test the ForntEnd and my custom controller/interface and currently I am working on solving some bugs to the Bluetooth communication. I have already complete the android application, with wich you can control the FrontEnd and play games with your android smartphone/tablet

Edit: Here is a picture of the android app
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:17:03 am by arximidis »

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2014, 03:52:30 pm »
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:04:43 am by arximidis »

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2014, 11:12:46 am »
The new QT version 3.1 has been uploaded

Only the QT windows version has been uploaded.

This version requires a full install of VLC and it doesn't seem to crash any more.
It will work on Windows XP and it doesn't require internet explorer to be installed

Don't forget to download the new version of default640x480 html theme, which is compatible with the new QT version

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:15:44 am by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:50 pm »
Hey man, sorry for the long delay in checking out the latest version.  I've finally gotten around to messing with my Starfighter build again so I'm back in the thick of it. 

So I downloaded the new QT version and have it running on XP64.  It's working well but it seems to be disagreeing with my audio in some way.  The background music stutters (it's a very PC in there too able to run every emulator I throw at it and then some) so I had to disable the audio.  I have VLC installed of course but wonder if there is a codec or driver issue.  If you need more info to debug that one let me know.  The sound effects work fine by the way.  Odd.

Also I'm getting periodic crashes when starting MAME.  I'm launching roms directly from the main menu and not going into a list.  About 25% of the time the FE just hangs.  It brings up a launching window and then freezes.  If I open task manager to close out MAME the FE is still froze and has to be restarted.  Again, let me know what you need and I'll get you better info.

One feature request - any way to make it where Alt+F4 won't exit the FE?  A lot of non MAME emus use ALT+F4 - no issue really but with some programs (SW Racer) when I exit the program it exits the FE at the same time.  Also my exit button sends ALT+F4 all the time (plus ESC) so it gets out of everything, but it would be nice to have the FE not exit on that too (small kids keep tanking the FE).  I'm not even sure how easy it is to implement that.  If it's not - and I doubt it is - I'll work my JoytoKey scripts a bit better and see if I can work around the issue.  I probably can so don't sweat it too much. 

Scorpie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2022, 04:28:58 am
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2014, 08:52:03 am »
I`m a web developer myself so props to your work :) will check it out sometime!

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2014, 12:17:45 pm »
So I downloaded the new QT version and have it running on XP64.  It's working well but it seems to be disagreeing with my audio in some way.  The background music stutters (it's a very PC in there too able to run every emulator I throw at it and then some) so I had to disable the audio.  I have VLC installed of course but wonder if there is a codec or driver issue.  If you need more info to debug that one let me know.  The sound effects work fine by the way.  Odd.

Hello Le chuck

The new qt version is using the browser to play music files (background music and sound effects) and not HTML.
What is the exact problem with background music? Is this happening only when both sound effects and background music are enabled?

Also I'm getting periodic crashes when starting MAME.  I'm launching roms directly from the main menu and not going into a list.  About 25% of the time the FE just hangs.  It brings up a launching window and then freezes.  If I open task manager to close out MAME the FE is still froze and has to be restarted.  Again, let me know what you need and I'll get you better info.

The FE crashes when it loads the emulator or when you terminate it? I mean you load the emulator, play a game, terminate and when returning to the FE then it crashes?
Actually the FE is not crashing. What is going on is this:
The FE creates a process (the emulator) and it waits for ever until it's terminated. If something goes wrong it will not get the terminate signal and it will think the process is still active and it will wait for ever. The qt version is little bit problematic when returning from a process... I will check it out if I can do something (I have some ideas :) )

One feature request - any way to make it where Alt+F4 won't exit the FE?  A lot of non MAME emus use ALT+F4 - no issue really but with some programs (SW Racer) when I exit the program it exits the FE at the same time.  Also my exit button sends ALT+F4 all the time (plus ESC) so it gets out of everything, but it would be nice to have the FE not exit on that too (small kids keep tanking the FE).  I'm not even sure how easy it is to implement that.  If it's not - and I doubt it is - I'll work my JoytoKey scripts a bit better and see if I can work around the issue.  I probably can so don't sweat it too much.

This is the default way to terminate a window. It's not difficult to disable it. I will include the feature in the next version

edit: I don't know for sure but it is very possible to "throw away" the qt version for Windows. I will keep it only for Linux. Turns out VLC is very problematic and I will replace it with Windows media player (for Windows only)

edit: If it's possible to install windows 7 (perhaps a slim version), it will be possible to use the IE version of HTMLFE which is way better and stable!!!

I`m a web developer myself so props to your work :) will check it out sometime!

Hello Scorpie. Thank you for interesting. Every kind of help is appreciated
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:34:19 pm by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2014, 07:06:56 pm »
Arximidis, I'll see if I can get W7 over on that cab, shouldn't be an issue, I just had my XP disc handy when I was setting it up so went with that.  All the bugs I encountered were no so figure it's to blame on VLC - which was buggy on previous version IIRC.  The music plays a second then skips a second then plays a second - like it's stuttering, the way CDs would skip but repeatedly.  I didn't disable sound effects so not sure, just new the sound effects were working fine and continued to after I disabled the music. 

The FE was crashing when it loads the emulator before I could play.  Press the button, image zooms back, loading screen comes up, freeze.  Again, issues similar to what happened on the older versions and I think I'll just move away from the QT since it's not behaving as smoothly as the 3.0

I'll do an install and report back but I think the only real fix I'll need will be disabling ALT+F4.  :cheers: 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2014, 11:10:59 am »
Arximidis, I'll see if I can get W7 over on that cab, shouldn't be an issue, I just had my XP disc handy when I was setting it up so went with that.  All the bugs I encountered were no so figure it's to blame on VLC - which was buggy on previous version IIRC.  The music plays a second then skips a second then plays a second - like it's stuttering, the way CDs would skip but repeatedly.  I didn't disable sound effects so not sure, just new the sound effects were working fine and continued to after I disabled the music. 

The FE was crashing when it loads the emulator before I could play.  Press the button, image zooms back, loading screen comes up, freeze.  Again, issues similar to what happened on the older versions and I think I'll just move away from the QT since it's not behaving as smoothly as the 3.0

I'll do an install and report back but I think the only real fix I'll need will be disabling ALT+F4.  :cheers:

OK, If installing W7 is not a big deal then go for it.
However, I'll check the code for the QT version if some improvements can be made. The problem with the background music you reporting is weird because I don't have that issue in my XP machine. Do you have the new version of VLC installed?
This will take a while until I fix it!!!

Disabling ALT+F4 is easy (one line of code :) ) and I will upload the new IE version soon
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:14:23 am by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
Installed W7 last night will let you know if there is improvement.  There should be, just ran out of time to test it out because I had to be at work early this morning. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2014, 08:15:44 am »
What are the requirements for v3.0? 

My machine is W7-32 running IE9 - machine does not have the full SP1, just enough of the upgrade to get IE9 on it.  Also has DX10 installed and full VLC. 

Zoom animation doesnt work for the snapshot, music won't play, games will not launch, FE goes to star zoom animation and freezes. 

Same build on my other computer - W7-64 running IE11 with all available updates runs flawlessly.  I have identical file structure and the QT build transfer between the two without issue.  In fact the QT build ran a lot better on XP64 than it is on W7. 

If I have to upgrade the dedicated non networked computer in the build to the latest and greatest windows to run the FE I'll just go back to XP and run the QT since there are only small issues that I can work around; however, if there is something simple I'm missing, some dependency, that I can update or upload that would be great.  Thanks! 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »
What are the requirements for v3.0? 

My machine is W7-32 running IE9 - machine does not have the full SP1, just enough of the upgrade to get IE9 on it.  Also has DX10 installed and full VLC. 

Zoom animation doesnt work for the snapshot, music won't play, games will not launch, FE goes to star zoom animation and freezes. 

Same build on my other computer - W7-64 running IE11 with all available updates runs flawlessly.  I have identical file structure and the QT build transfer between the two without issue.  In fact the QT build ran a lot better on XP64 than it is on W7. 

If I have to upgrade the dedicated non networked computer in the build to the latest and greatest windows to run the FE I'll just go back to XP and run the QT since there are only small issues that I can work around; however, if there is something simple I'm missing, some dependency, that I can update or upload that would be great.  Thanks!

Hello Le chuck

The only requirement for the IE version of the FE, is IE9+ (and with that I mean internet explorer version higher from 9. Version 10 or higher will do). Download from microsoft a higher version of internet explorer from your networked computer and install it to the non networked PC.
You don't need to install VLC for the IE version.

The problem is that IE9 is not supporting the css animations... (but if you play around with the code it is possible to make it work. It's not an easy task and that is why I don't include support for IE9 yet)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
That would explain it, I was trying to make it work with some that wouldn't.  I'll see if I can get IE10 on there without too much pain - Service Packs etc.  Thanks. 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:41 pm »
OK, I will wait for the feedback!

PS. I have already fixed the ALT+F4 issue and I will upload the new version soon (I will notify you)
I have added a new setting to the main "settings.ini" file.
DisableSystemClose = no
Change no to yes and you will be ready to go!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:14:58 pm by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2014, 10:35:56 pm »
Hey, W7 was giving me fits - I decided that I didn't want to dismantle the cab so I could get internet access to it to get IE10 working so I just reformatted back to XP and put the QT version back on.  I'd much rather deal with the little issues of the QT version than deal with the awful issues of W7 32 and how horribly slow it was.  I have a legit copy but I think something is wrong with it - the XP64 I'm using leaves it in the dust.   

I did some more testing with the sound issue, the sound on the QT version is stuttering when I have the background starfield animation turned on.  If I go to the .swf/.gif background (whichever it is) there is no stutter.  That one doesn't look as good so I just have the background music off for right now.  Startup video works fine.  If you're tinkering with the QT might be something to take a look at - of course it might be a system resource issue but I wouldn't think so considering I'm running all the emulators at 60frames with no issues. 

I think the issue with the freezing on launch has to do with the build of MAME I'm using and not your FE - I'll trouble shoot that down some more - I need to upgrade that anway so I'll report back when I do that. 

If you could update the code for Alt+F4 in the QT version too that would be great ;)  Everything else would be super too but the only thing I *need* is the ALT+F4 thing.  Thanks man, this FE is really making my cab and I appreciate all your work on it!

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2014, 05:26:13 am »
The starfield animation effect uses too much CPU power.
If everything is working well with the animated gif background (check CPU power usage), then we can do a walkaround in a future release

Create an animated gif with stars (without the high speed effect). Then create another gif with only the high speed stars. I will add a setting to change the animated background when you selecting a game and you will have the high speed illusion with less CPU power usage

P.S. Yes the setting for disabling the ALT+F4 will be for both versions

edit: Everytime you make a request we make the FE better!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:31:13 am by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2014, 07:43:50 am »
That fix makes sense, doing the two animations and flipping between them.  I'll get those built once I start doing the art for my build. 

It's a shame that the starfield we're using now is bogging things down.  My desktop is slower/less capable than the build in the machine and runs the animation + sounds just fine but that is not on the QT version.  I can try the QT version and see if I get both without issue or if there is stuttering there as well.  Maybe the vlc plugin is partially to blame?

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »
I have uploaded the new versions (3.1 and 3.1.1)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:23 pm »
I have uploaded the new versions (3.1 and 3.1.1)

Works great!  Now the only thing stopping this FE from being used by all kinds of folks is native joystick support.  Even if it is text based ID controller and associate buttons in a doc it would be a huge improvement.  Something to think about.  I think the no joystick support might be a sticking point for some people who would otherwise use this FE. 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2014, 10:33:33 am »
Yes the joystick support is a nice idea.

The good news are that there is already a javascript library to enable support for joystick (and gamepads)
http://www.gamepadjs.com/
I don't know if it works (at least on the qt version, because IE version is based on internet explorer. QT version is based on webkit and they say they do support webkit)

I don't thing it is hard to implement it to the code, but it needs some coding skills. Maybe someone can help around here.
I don't have a joystick, but it is possible to buy one and do some tests (but I don't know when)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:40:51 am by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:47 pm »
Yes the joystick support is a nice idea.

The good news are that there is already a javascript library to enable support for joystick (and gamepads)
http://www.gamepadjs.com/
I don't know if it works (at least on the qt version, because IE version is based on internet explorer. QT version is based on webkit and they say they do support webkit)

I don't thing it is hard to implement it to the code, but it needs some coding skills. Maybe someone can help around here.
I don't have a joystick, but it is possible to buy one and do some tests (but I don't know when)

That would be awesome!  I put out the call over in the SW FE thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137291.msg1451631.html#msg1451631

You should drop by and correct anything I messed up talking about your FE, I'm sure there are some key features you'd want mentioned that I over looked.  Also, hopefully, somebody will see it and get involved on joystick support. 

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »
I saw the post
Very nice job
You are running the qt version on the machine without the problems, right? I am asking because everything in the video are looking just great!
Also I notticed I don't provide settings for adjusting the colors (the color of the popup windows, the Font color etc). Maybe I'll add settings for that kind of stuff in the future (or maybe someone else will  :) )
I'll be watching the SW thread too!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:34:13 pm by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2014, 02:27:26 pm »
I know I can adjust that stuff directly in the HTML files, I've seen the color codes lurking in there but haven't messed with it.  Menu options would be great.

Important question:  Where do I need to go to alter the default inputs for navigating the FE?

I want to use "G" and "H" rather than left and right to navigate.  I edited the FE settings.ini (main one) down at the bottom to be

G = Left
H = Right

but it didn't work, also tried it without the spaces.  Please advise.  Being able to adjust those values ensures that my analog inputs don't get messed up in other games because if I map my X axis to left and right every game that uses analog will see the left and right input as full value and disregard the analog; however, if I map to unused keys like G and H the games just ignores those inputs and sample the analog data. 

Looks like it might be in main.html but I'm not sure and don't want to go changing tons of values without knowing what I'll affect

Went in and changed all the keycode values for left and right to what I need in main.html.  This worked.  Recommend a menu to set the controls tho, it would be much cleaner. 

Oh yeah, the QT version is running very well now but still has the sound issue with the starfield enabled.  The video was of the QT but on a different computer running W7 64 is all the latest updates - and it doesn't have any issues.  This computer is slower than the one in the build but I think because its running more advanced/recent software it gets by with the audio. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:49:01 pm by Le Chuck »

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:58 pm »
As far as I can tell, you really know how to handle with the code even if your are not a programmer. And this is an example for all others who afraid this type of FE

Yes, you can change the codes in the keydown and keyup functions (in main.html and index.html). I  intended to add a graphical way to change the keycode values (the "blank" Shortcuts tab in settings page) but didn't found the chance to do it

The other settings you noticed inside settings.ini are for my custom interface/controller which I built for my cab:
http://users.ntua.gr/dpiperid/MyWebPage/Contructions/others/mame/schematics/controllerEN.htm

If you are using something like i-pac then you don't need to mess with these settings and keep the setting LoadKeyboardController to no

PS I will have a look at that sound issue and I will implement the other idea we talked about. Also I will see if something can be done about those crashes you had when loading an emulator. Maybe I have some ideas on how to trap some of them

edit

Oh yeah, the QT version is running very well now but still has the sound issue with the starfield enabled.  The video was of the QT but on a different computer running W7 64 is all the latest updates - and it doesn't have any issues.  This computer is slower than the one in the build but I think because its running more advanced/recent software it gets by with the audio.

Hmm, I just noticed that quote.  I thought that the computer in the actual machine was slower but it's the other way around. Hmm, so it has nothing to do with CPU power. Try to install the same version of vlc with the one on the working machine
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:56:43 pm by arximidis »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »
It is the same vlc. I tried that too. Weird.

The crashes only occur the first time I try and run Mame. And it's consistent. Upon startup the first time I choose a Mame game it freezes. I can use task mngr to kill the process. After that it works perfect every time.

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »
It is the same vlc. I tried that too. Weird.

The crashes only occur the first time I try and run Mame. And it's consistent. Upon startup the first time I choose a Mame game it freezes. I can use task mngr to kill the process. After that it works perfect every time.

Maybe something is wrong in  XP 64bit and libvlc which is 32bit, that don't appear in W7 64bit
Do you have an older version of the default theme (lower that 3.1. For example version 3.0 or 2.9) to try? Lower versions used the vlc plugin for playback and not libvlc

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2014, 05:59:47 pm »
I think I deleted them all but I'll check. If I do I'll give one a shot and let you know.

I was having trouble keeping track of which version was up to date :)

arximidis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2014, 04:37:26 pm »
Hmm, looking at the code I think it's not a wise choice to "invest" on the qt version

The only real problem you had with IE version on XP was music/sound and the css animations (this is the reason the emulators are not loading, because javascript is raising an internal error)

All these are actually fixable. For example I can use windows media player for sound and music (because the older versions of internet explorer are not supporting the html5 commands). For the css animations I can use jquerry instead

I will work with the IE version on my vacation time on August.