Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New house and dedicated Arcade/Bar/Theater on the way  (Read 23127 times)

Maximus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2017, 05:32:05 pm
  • Plans are for fools!!!!
    • Arcade Icons
Re: New house and dedicated Arcade/Bar/Theater on the way
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2013, 05:34:23 pm »
Added the snack shelf, changed the coloring and stonework behind the bar

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 06:52:04 pm »
Had to lose a Pin, but I gained a cab so that's ok  ;)

There are stairs coming down into the garage so even if that corner is deep enough for a pin you wouldn't be able to stand there to play it.
Added luxury theater seating, added shelves to the bar and created a U shape for more counter space.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:14:57 pm by Maximus »

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
Re: Re: New house and dedicated Arcade/Bar/Theater on the way
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2013, 07:55:26 pm »

Cut out all that ---goshdarn--- shuffleboard noise, I'm trying to watch the movie!

;)

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »
You should have a little megatouch or trivia game on the bar.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 10:22:08 pm »
Is the Revolution not a part of your plans?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:53 pm »
Darn it.  I just had a big response typed up and I lost it. 

Bottom line...congrats on the space...hope you do exactly what you want with it!

So some quick thoughts...

Everything still looks too tight.  Not a lot of walkway and not a lot of seating.   If you have like 10 people over, you might end up playing musical chairs.  Plus, the kids will plop in the theater seats and you can't really shoo them away because all that's left is bar seating.

Larger luxury seating looks like you're now too close to screen, especially if it's 120".

An arcade cab isn't really needed at the bar when you've got 14 games 14ft away.

Shuffleboard looks too narrow in render.  Double check that.  If shuffleboard overhead light is on, it could be a distraction to theater viewers.  If the light is off, shuffleboard won't be inviting.

If possible, I'd suggest swapping the theater area with the arcade area.  You'd need a smaller screen than 120" to fit into 9ft wide, but I'm not sure about seating width.  Maybe you could squeeze 3 in a row, maybe 2 rows of 2 or 3 rows of 2.

Would you plan on using the theater for gaming?  Wii, Kinect, etc might require more space before the seats.

I'd also suggest going with much less dedicated cabs.  You could use that space for the skeeball you mentioned...maybe pachinko, maybe slots, etc.  Swapping the areas would keep all the games in one area.

If you don't swap, I'd suggest adding 1-2 TVs to the game area so that guests can play your games and still watch the sports games on TV.

You mentioned a stage.  I see it in one drawing, but not in the renders.  If this is for karaoke and dancing, consider that kids and possibly intoxicated adults will be flailing about.  If you don't have a retractable screen, this could be an issue.  Same concern if you have speakers and a sub nearby.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2013, 11:49:31 pm »
I actually think the home theater thing really hijacks the entire setup. These days people keep getting bigger and better tv sets. Your guests might have a TV setup close to what you are providing there at home already. The theater locks your guests into 2 hours of watching a movie, while a mixed gameroom that perhaps has a few different video screens scattered about allows your guests to mingle and enjoy a variety of different things rather than spending most of the night locked down watching a film they have probably already seen. I know when I go to a party the last thing I want to do is sit down for a couple hours and watch a movie. The movie stuff is really more private family time and you might do better just putting a better set in the living room upstairs. Now I know this whole build might be based around some projector you already own, but the advice still stands.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

stuckpixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 02:59:23 pm
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »
NIICE. That looks like one hell of an awesome project.

From looking over the latest renders -- it really feels like trying to shove another arcade in the corner by the bar is a bit overkill -- not to mention it kinda throws off the whole separation deal you have going on.

I think someone else suggested a coin-op dartboard -- That seems like it'd be a far superior fit for the space -- and it would go with the vibe of the bar area. Not sure if there would be enough distance for the correct distance or not though.

Is there any active cooling in this space? If you're actually planning on having 10+ arcade machines, a couple pins, and whatever other misc electronics in the main area -- that place is going to get TOASTY in a hurry.

Are the dimensions right on the shuffleboard table? It seems really narrow.

Looks like fun!!

stuckpixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2013, 03:24:48 pm »
I actually think the home theater thing really hijacks the entire setup. These days people keep getting bigger and better tv sets. Your guests might have a TV setup close to what you are providing there at home already. The theater locks your guests into 2 hours of watching a movie

I know when I go to a party the last thing I want to do is sit down for a couple hours and watch a movie. The movie stuff is really more private family time and you might do better just putting a better set in the living room upstairs.

Home Theaters aren't limited to watching movies, you know. Things like football games, MMA shows -- as well as HUGE screen video gaming can occur with a home theater.

I seriously doubt that the gameplan is to force all his friends to come over and watch Top Gun, while forbidding them to play the games.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2013, 04:06:46 pm »
Yep stuck pixel pretty much summed it up. 

This area is very much a specialized part of the house and not part of normal use.  The house already has a large living room, 1000sq/ft sun room and will have another 600sq/ft indoor/outdoor covered viewing deck so there are plenty of places to hang out before ending up in this particular space.

When I'm in movie watching mode it's most likely to be just me or the family.  In party mode with multiple people it needs to be a multi function space that has areas of different interests.  Sure the big screen may be on during those times but that's more likely to be football or Kung Fu panda than The notebook.

Paige seems to be obsessed with the idea my wife wants to watch TV on a 120" screen in silence lol. Even worse he seems think I may be taking people captive, strapping them into chairs clockwork orange style and MAKING THEM WATCH A MOVIE WUHAHAHAHAHAHA

I agree the theater and bar are taking a lot of the space that's because they will get more use than the arcade.

All good input and ideas, I guess it goes to show that areas like this are very specific do different people's needs and preferences.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:18:55 pm by Maximus »

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2013, 05:14:14 pm »
To answer a few of the questions I missed.

Shuffleboard - 12' x 15" - Home Depot web site
Revolution Cab - Might put that in the corner by the bar as it plays everything, good for requests and those nights where I don't want to fire up the whole arcade.
Active air-con - YES in the soffiting!
Shuffleboard light during movies - highly unlikely someone will be playing shuffleboard while I try and immerse myself in Steel Magnolias
Darts - no, had them before, hate the damage.
Seating too close to screen - I prefer 1.3 - 1.5x screen to seat distance ratio, screen door is no longer an issue these days at 1080p+ resolutions, kids can sit at 1.1x cause they are nuts like that
TV's in the game area - excellent idea.
Gaming on the big screen - doubtful, if I did it would be more personal than group
Swap the areas - Theater takes first priority for me, any smaller would be too small
Megatouch trivia on the bar - great idea
Stage - probably too small of an area for this
Cocktail cabinets - meagh
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:16:44 pm by Maximus »

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2013, 06:32:17 pm »
Here'a first stab at the space if I extended the area out by 12'

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2013, 07:31:39 pm »
Interesting layout. I think I prefer how you had it before, only because the communal experience of the arcade seems broken up this way.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2013, 07:46:45 pm »
I'll do a version with the theater up against the wall too see how that flows

Gamester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 08:01:26 pm »
Interesting layout. I think I prefer how you had it before, only because the communal experience of the arcade seems broken up this way.

+1

Just seems a little awkward.  Plus I'd be concerned that the theater aisles would become shortcuts from one side of the arcade to the other.

I definitely would try to slide the theater all the way over.  Look forward to seeing it laid out that way...
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »
Looks cool!  Designing your own theater/media/arcade is pretty fun!

I do have a question re: the home theater (mainly coming from my own HT experience).  How are you factoring in acoustic treatment and speaker placement?

In my experience, subwoofers work best in room corners and you'll want a little space between the seating and any surround speakers.  For these reasons, I think the second layout you posted would be less ideal for the HT.  The first layout with the seperate arcade/HT areas would work better imho.  The only thing I'm not a fan of is the shuffleboard running down the wall.  I'd prefer to leave that wall bare to accomodate acoustic paneling.

Another question: are you thinking soundproofing?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 08:02:45 pm »
How about "rotating" the theatre so it's against the top wall? That way, you have a huge space for games.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2013, 08:12:38 pm »
shponglefan makes good points.  Speaker placement is obviously pretty important.  Those theater seats are RIGHT up against the walls on both sides and the rear.  I wonder if that leaves enough room for the surround speakers without having them right in your ears?  That's one reason why traditional theater layouts have aisles on each side of the seating...

Also have to be sure to factor in where the actual theater gear is going to go.
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2013, 08:51:37 pm »
Also have to be sure to factor in where the actual theater gear is going to go.

Good point.  Assuming the first layout, that corner with the lone arcade cabinet would be an ideal spot for an HT equipment rack.

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »
Yep HT rack and other bits and pieces need to be addressed, at the moment I'm just playing with basic space ideas to see what will fit and how it will feel.

Here's a no-walls approach to the original space, keeping it 100% social and mixed. 10 Cabs, 2 Cockpits, a driver, 2 pins, shuffleboard, 8 luxury theater seats, 4 bar seats and 140" screen.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:11:47 pm by Maximus »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2013, 11:09:01 pm »
I like it so far- much more social.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »
Definitely not a fan of the third one, from an HT perspective.  It's nearly impossible to design a decent HT when you use up all the surrounding walls for other purposes.

If you're looking for more of a social type room, why not put in couches and a bigscreen TV instead of the HT setup?

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 12:11:40 am »
Check into getting a pachislo machine too!

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
Re: Re: New house and dedicated Arcade/Bar/Theater on the way
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 12:43:13 am »
If you're looking for more of a social type room, why not put in couches and a bigscreen TV instead of the HT setup?

Yeah that thought crossed my mind if I go this route.  If I am restricted to this smaller space then I think it will be more casual.  If we do extend the area then I may go for more of a sectioned off HT

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 01:58:24 am »
I was just going with my own experiences as host. Where people congregated around the games, tables, and under the patio and everyone ignored the TV.

If you do lock them down Clockwork Orange style then be sure and offer eye drops!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2013, 08:38:23 am »
I like the big room and second losing the row seating in favor of a more casual arrangement. 

Edit:  3K post marker bishes!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:43:03 am by Le Chuck »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2013, 09:41:14 am »
Agreed with a lot of the above. I like the 1 room approach with couches and or recliners. Or one of those lounger sofas.

I'd think it would also be better to get furniture with a smaller footprint. Then you could have an open area in the middle of the room. First, it could give you room for whatever console gaming stuff you need the room for. Kinect, Rockband, DDR, etc. You could set out a folding table for card games / board games or whatnot. Get a friendly card game going with an open bar on one side, and a sports game going on the tv on the other side.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2013, 10:09:42 am »
Have you thought about stand up table(s) instead of a bar?  Then you can sit or stand at them and look in any direction of the room, not just the tv on the wall.  Could also move them around as needed. 

Was the bar to have a sink or could that be moved in the future if you want to swap things around?

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 11:14:21 am »
Yep HT rack and other bits and pieces need to be addressed, at the moment I'm just playing with basic space ideas to see what will fit and how it will feel.

Here's a no-walls approach to the original space, keeping it 100% social and mixed. 10 Cabs, 2 Cockpits, a driver, 2 pins, shuffleboard, 8 luxury theater seats, 4 bar seats and 140" screen.

If you go with the open walls approach and the big screen I would lose the row seating all together and go with a more living room feel.  (ie couches, lazy boys, etc.)  This will give, like others have said, a better use of the space.  My old man has built the same idea in his new house (sans arcade cabinets).  He has built a bar, has a shuffle board and has walled off his theater room.  If you are going for more of a theater room feeling I would definitely put up those walls.  So you won't be bothered when watching Steel Magnolias on Lifetime.   >:D  But if you want a more "family" atmosphere lose the walls and the seating.  Even those chairs you have in your mock up are extremely comfortable.  But in the end you have to ask yourself, are you really striving to have up to 12 arcade machines, 3 pinball machines etc. or can you be realistic and make it a more of a family oriented space while still having room to place enough of your cabinets to enjoy the space?

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »
I'm glad I'm going through all these versions and getting people's feedback, helps the brain cells. So yep if my space is limited then the last version is probably the best with more casual seating. Although I just want to point out that this really is primarily a 'man cave' that can also accommodate other species, there are plenty of other large, hospitable areas for entertaining in other areas of the house. I want to strike the balance of 'awesome for action movies and football' with enough space and openess to have 10-12 people in there. I dont want it so comfortable that my wife and kids adopt it as their favorite space for naptime and book reading.  :o

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2013, 01:02:47 pm »
Good to see the excitement building with the new place.   My wife and I went through the same thing a few years ago when we finally purchased our "forever" home.    We have a walkout basement and I can't even remember how many times the plans changed over the years.  Still a work in progress but it is getting there.  Enjoy!

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2013, 03:32:36 pm »
I meant to ask what software you're using to do these renders?  (apologies if it was in the thread somewhere and I missed it)

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2013, 03:40:37 pm »
I meant to ask what software you're using to do these renders?  (apologies if it was in the thread somewhere and I missed it)

It's Called 'Chief Architect Premier X5'

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2013, 03:45:32 pm »

It's Called 'Chief Architect Premier X5'

And here I thought you were just using Sketchup!

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
Lol yeah I suck at Sketchup, although I do use the libraries to pull in some models such as Gozers cabs.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2013, 03:58:34 pm »
 I didn't know you could pull in those models to chief architect. I will have to dust off my copy....that I totally paid the $2000 for.   ;D

nakeworks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2020, 09:49:37 pm
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2013, 04:01:41 pm »
I'm jelly that you are getting a basement/cave.  I'll be the loner that says he likes the walls separating the arcade and theater experience.  On one row of seating though I would offer some form of a couch for, uhh, feeling cozy.  I like nothing to distract me from my TV/movie experience so I would want the area sequestered.  Plus I like the arcade feel of being pressed in tight, but your area did look pretty tight.  Leave room on the bar for a popcorn machine.
Thriller baby

Maximus

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Icons
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »
I will have to dust off my copy....that I totally paid the $2000 for.   ;D

Yeah....yeah...exactly.

You have to convert them to .OBJ models, there's a free plugin for Sketchup "OBJConverter" that I use to do it. Does an ok job, but I always have to resize the models when I import them. Bit of a pain but at least you can get it to work.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:03 pm »
Good to know. Thanks!

stuckpixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 09:57:32 am »
Would be curious to see what a extended 2-room config looks like -- I personally dig the separate areas because it gives you more of an 'arcade' feel.

Maybe it'd be worth looking at doing the bar off to the side of the big screen? That way people sitting at the bar and swivel chairs to see the big one, but still feel like they're sitting at the bar -- and anyone working bar can see it too.

I agree with more casual seating if you're going one big open room. Couple big comfy couches, maybe a coffee table for people to set drinks/snacks on.

If anything though, I feel like the open room makes things feel more cluttered and the space feels smaller. Having distinct areas gives every square foot a job -- having it all shared makes it feel more like 'I threw a bunch of cool stuff into a room'.

Just my .02.