Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Multi Williams Progress Report  (Read 3650 times)

tbombaci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 01:01:26 am
Multi Williams Progress Report
« on: November 14, 2003, 02:18:08 pm »
After seeing the machine that Kelsey had made, I knew I needed one.

So far:

Robotron Boardset
Stargate Cabinet (very gutted with coindoor, and monitor)
Order with Bob Roberts (leaf switches, power supply, LS holders, power switch, Pal nuts)
Metal Control Panel from Phoenix Arcade
Two leaf joys from quarterarcade
two cans of goof off and rags (Orchard Supply Hardware)
Robotron wire loom
Monitor Bezel Glass (borrowing a Joust bezel for a while)

running total = $554.40  (aagghh)

Still need:
Multi Williams kit - $140
Artwork - (currently vectorizing)
Marquee light ballast - ??

I have images of the nasty red paint of doom on the cabinet coming off with goof off. That stuff works great.

I told my wife I would spread the costs over a few months....   ;D

Well, as you can see, I must have traveled to the future in my Delorean.

Anyway.. I will post my progress.

-Tom
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 03:37:37 pm by tbombaci »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Just Started a Multi Williams
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 09:48:09 pm »
Ahhh, you are using the same approach I did.  "Sure, hon, it is going to be winter-long project..."  It's her fault, though, for believing that would happen.   ;D

Home Depot carries a ballast for just under $4 for a single 14-15-20W flourescent tube.  I replaced the one that was in my cab, too, because it had a very loud buzz that I could hear over the game sounds.

Definitely post pictures as you progress.  Good luck on your project!

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 09:55:35 pm »
*****Can't******HoLD..!!BAck...THE.. >:( :o...gRrRRrr.....jeaLOUsy...Getting..bEST..of.....GROWLLLL...Me..MusT..Fight.,.....It >:( :'( :o :(.......*((eyes twitching))*
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:58:32 pm by 1hookedspacecadet »

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 10:58:33 pm »
Whoo Hoo! Jut won the harness on eBay. Time to update the spreadsheet!

-Tom

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 11:22:37 pm »
twitch...................twitch....................twitch...................twitch.............

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 11:44:28 pm »
I just put together a small page of the first pics here.

-Tom

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 07:46:55 am »
Lookin good - keep us updated - I wish I had a multiwilliams, too!

HagHore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2007, 02:24:00 pm
  • Game Over Man, Game Over!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 12:20:14 pm »
Have you received your QuarterArcade Leaf sticks yet?  If you have, or when you do, could you PLEASE post the dimensions required to install the suckers?  I've also been trying to find some kind of review of those sticks to see if they are worth a darn.  Would love to use leaf instead of micro for future MAME projects but the Wico's are hard to find and pricey when you do, and at 11.95 for the QA leafs, well, that's doable.
We're on an express elevator to Hell! Goin' down!

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 01:35:44 pm »
I just ordered them Friday. Should have them next week.

The other side of the Stargate has TWO layers of red paint from hell. I only have 3 inches done from the top and I am out of clean rags and down to half a can of Goof Off..   ???

This time, I am stripping outside :)  I did the first side in the basement. I lost a few brain cells for sure.

-Tom

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 08:05:32 am »
Have you received your QuarterArcade Leaf sticks yet?  If you have, or when you do, could you PLEASE post the dimensions required to install the suckers?  I've also been trying to find some kind of review of those sticks to see if they are worth a darn.  Would love to use leaf instead of micro for future MAME projects but the Wico's are hard to find and pricey when you do, and at 11.95 for the QA leafs, well, that's doable.

Just received the joystics. Hmmmm.... I do not want to say anything bad since i havent installed them yet. However, they do *seem* a bit cheep.

The dimensions are: 3.125 x 3.5625 The unit is 2.375 deep with the shaft in (4 or 8 way) The leaf switches stick out .5 on the long sides and .75 on the short sides.

As soon as I get a wire harness, I will hook up the Robotron and test them out. (BTW, I think I have been hosed on eBay. I paid the seller right away for the harness. I havent heard word one from him. I have mailed him twice from two accounts. It's been 8 days now. I hate getting screwed on eBay)

-Tom

HagHore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2007, 02:24:00 pm
  • Game Over Man, Game Over!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 11:00:46 am »
Thanks for the dimensions!  They appear to have the same mounting dimensions as the Happs sticks which is good.  Of course, the leaf switches protrude further than the micros do, so that may be bad for the miniWilliams control panel.  Oh well, I went ahead and ordered two anyway.  If they don't fit the mini then I can use them for a full size cabinet in the future  ;D).  Guess I better order a couple of J-Sticks just in case the "cheapness" is a problem.  I was kind of expecting a certain amount of cheapness based on the price of the sticks, just hoping it isn't going to be to the point of being unusable.

Thanks again for the dimensions, can't wait to hear what you have to say on the gaming quality of these sticks.
We're on an express elevator to Hell! Goin' down!

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 08:27:54 pm »
I just tested the power supply I built for the MW. Works great! This is my first attempt and it was a success.

I am getting over a huge fear of electricity. I am taking my time and reading _all_info at least twice.

Anyway...as soon as I get a wire harness, I can at least play Robotron until I pick up the mw board from Clay.

-Tom

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2003, 12:39:24 pm »
Pics soon...

Update on progress:

• Installed Ballast and wired light fixture
  • Cut new back doors
  • Grind down rust from door hinge and screws - submerge in WD-40
  • Install doors
  • Mount Robotron Boardset to wood panel
  • Apply new speaker fabric to speaker plate (not OEM, oh well)

Fun Fun Fun!

Damn! Soon I will need another project!

-Tom

Karman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2015, 10:11:46 am
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 01:13:08 pm »
II can at least play Robotron until I pick up the mw board from Clay.

You might want to order the MW board from Darin at Phoenix Arcade.  Let's just say that it saves one major step in the installation.

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
Re:Multi Williams Progress Report
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 03:49:23 pm »
I finally received the "Robotron" harness. Judging from the control panel pinning, It looks like a Joust harness.

The coin-door / service panel molex was cut off as well as the monitor and out to coin-door lights plugs as well.

No big deal. Straight to HSC to pick up some connectors. (I bought an s-load of connectors. I am thinking about making a few harnesses and offering them to others for cost. I really do not want anyone else to go thru what I did to get the darn thing!) ** well, I can maybe think of a couple of people :) **

Anyway, I figured I didn't need the coindoor plugged in to fire up the boards so I made a monitor connector. Couldn't really tell which pin was pin one so I figured I had a 50/50 chance... I plugged in the connector and fired up the boards. "Robotron firing Sound" Whoo Hoo! It lives. (actually, I didn't doubt one bit that it wouldn't btw) But, I had funky video. Looks like I lost the 50/50 bet. I turned off everything and reversed the monitor plug, tried again....SUCCESS!

Now I need to make another control panel harness so I can play Robotron!!! (already made the MW harness)

Next step is to pick up a 15 pin rectangle Molex connector for the coindoor and more wire.

mtd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2003, 04:15:46 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • MurderousTreacherousDogs
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 09:34:00 pm »
How much did you pay for the Stargate Cab?  I have the opportunity to purchase one that is currenlty a fighting game - was wondering how much was too much to pay for it and still come out a head on a multi-williams.

I guess a cost list of MW stuff would be helpful as well.

-----
edit -- just found the link to your pics.  $75.00.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:39:05 pm by mtd »

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 10:22:36 pm »
I paid $75. It had a monitor (with burn) and a nice coin door. The back doors were toast. The guy I picked it up from took the Stargate doors for his Joust. Particle board is like a sponge! The doors were thrashed. I made new doors last weekend and mounted them.

I am not sure if I will ever "Come out ahead" with this or any project. I really enjoy restoring and making the games work.

I will be into the MW for about $750. Not including the time invested.

I already have another project brewing........

-Tom

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 06:38:51 am »
Oooh, man, I hope my Defender (or Multi-Williams) doesn't turn out to be that expensive!!!!

Luckily I got lucky on the cabinet side of things. In one day I got an almost complete Arch Rivals in a Defender cabinet (with all the painted artwork intact), AND a totally stripped Defender (again with intact artwork), along with an Invaders mini and a complete (but taken apart) Turbo for a total of $40.

Of course all that stuff (and my Sprint One) is just sitting in the basement for now, not going to even START to work on them until everything in the apartment either works, or is sold/converted/parted.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Karman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2015, 10:11:46 am
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2003, 08:52:13 am »
I just started on a MultiWilliams in a Stargate cab myself last night.  I got Clay's kit installed and the control panel populated and mounted up.  At this point, all I have left to do is build the MW control panel harness and cap the monitor.  The MW menu comes up, but I can't do anything with it until I have the buttons working.  I'll have pics up this week.  

Tbombaci - you will love how well Darin's control panel artwork goes with the red/yellow/black of the Stargate cab.  One thing to mention though, (if you haven't already heard) you will have to trim a little bit of the wood at the base of the monitor bezel to clear the right joystick.  Its no big deal and you can't see it with the control panel mounted up.  I can provide pics if you need to see it.