Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED Illuminated Spinners?  (Read 3168 times)

fatsgt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2015, 12:22:01 am
  • Taito Type X, I hate you.
LED Illuminated Spinners?
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »
Greetings!

I'm looking at adding some ilumination to my spinner.  Anyone already doing this?  My current spinner was taken from a Tron Control panel but I'm not opposed to updating it.  I'm looking at using some sort of translucent knob or  light it from the bottom somehow.

Thanks,
FatSgt

Nephasth

Re: LED Illuminated Spinners?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:38:46 pm »
I could make a NephRing for you that would do this.

fatsgt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2015, 12:22:01 am
  • Taito Type X, I hate you.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »
Looks cool.  Where do I find info on it?  My tron based spinner is mounted under the control panel so the hole for the spinner is quite small.  I also have Plexiglas over the entire control panel with art below it.  Would need some sort of clear dust washer as well.

Desdinova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2014, 01:35:47 pm
  • Eldritch and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »
Yeah I've done LED illumination from beneath....

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,59359.760.html

Post 780 pic 1 shows a couple of Tornado spinners lit up from beneath.

I originally built the panel long before button hole mount spinners and LEDs became all the rage, so the method I used is not the most optimal, yet quite effective. Just used a plunge router and a small circular jig that was about an 1/8" less in diamter than the bottom of the spinner knobs to take out about 1/4" recess. Painted the interior of the recess bright red which was the illumination color I was going for. Drilled a couple holes big enough to slip a couple of red flat top 100mah leds up in there from beneath. Then set them up on a LED Wiz and LED Blinky to light up which ever ones are to be used for whatever games. Would've been better to do the backlit from under the CP's plexi panel, but that wasn't an option for me considering I was going at this azzbackwerds.

Should work with a Tron spinner as long as your panel isn't metal. Otherwise those Nephrings should do the tick. 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:39:15 pm by Desdinova »

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2018, 05:11:38 pm
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
LED Illuminated Spinners?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:36 pm »
Old thread, but in my late 2016 quest to find the same, it didn't appear many looked into this. However I did stumble across this solution...

http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/Spinner-Assembly-With-Illuminated-Atari-Knob.html

Though, I would really need to be working on an Atari project to pull the trigger on that one, I assume a similar solution would work for custom DIY knobs. Though if anyone has other current on the market lighted spinner solutions, please share.

Unfortunately I didn't see a way to pick up that unit w/o the Atari knob.

JamesTKirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2018, 09:09:02 pm
  • Boldly go .....
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:19:37 am »
Old topic but I just got back into building and noticed this thread.
I created an illuminated spinner concept on my last bartop build. It works great.
Hope this helps someone looking for a lit spinner solution.

Check it here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=149202.0

StefanBurger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:36:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!