Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anybody Know What a VPORT is?  (Read 1232 times)

wordsworth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 06:20:13 pm
  • ...was severely wounded, but the soul still burns
Anybody Know What a VPORT is?
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:49 pm »
I have the opportunity to buy an RCA F20TF20 which comes with a VPORT along with component inputs. From what I've gathered the VPORT was meant to plug an Xbox directly into the TV. My initial interest in the TV was to use component in's with a transcoder to get native res but this VPORT has piqued my interest.

Does anybody know if the VPORT can be used to get native resolutions from a computer VGA output (sans transcoder)? If it's similar to a SCART input maybe a cable can be made for this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:18:03 pm by wordsworth »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Anybody Know What a VPORT is?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:12:56 am »
The cable came in 2 varieties, a YPbPr to VPORT and an xbox to VPORT cable.

It just makes it easier to hook up your xbox to the tv and frees up an input source. That's it. the only place that I know of that has the VPORT cable is directly from RCA. The input is  YPbPr component and audio left and right. it's not an RGB input or anything like that.

wordsworth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 06:20:13 pm
  • ...was severely wounded, but the soul still burns
Re: Anybody Know What a VPORT is?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:53 pm »
DANG! I had my hopes up that it was similar to a SCART port. Would've been a nice little discovery.

I guess RCA stuck their necks out there with the VPORT and nobody else followed. If it's basically just another component in then we all know how hard it is to change a cable form factor... "YOU MEAN I GOTTA BUY A NEW CABLE JUST TO WATCH JERRY SPRINGER!"  :angry:

Thanks for the info, lilshawn!