Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Kortek KT1948 No H-Size Adjustment  (Read 1811 times)

Brian74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Kortek KT1948 No H-Size Adjustment
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:58:16 pm »
I have a 19"  Kortek KT1948. I am a noob when it comes to arcade monitors. My image is way to big for the screen. All the other adjustments on the remote control work. If I turn the h-size knob, I see very little movement. Does that mean I have bad caps? If so, how do I use a multi-meter to test them? Which ones?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Kortek KT1948 No H-Size Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 03:14:21 pm »
bad caps - probably

multi-meter to test them? - no, you need a special meter to test capacitors properly...

this monitor is several years old now. it's best to just replace the electrolytic capacitors and go from there. there are some capacitors that the monitor uses to time how long to scan a line on the screen by how long it takes for the capacitor to charge up and discharge. tweaking the horizontal size adjusts the voltage going in to that capacitor. when the cap gets old, it doesn't hold as much charge as before and thus, discharges quickly as a result. this throws the timing off, making the scan very wide.

I can't tell you specifically which one it is with this chassis, but all the caps are old and dried out and not at their best anymore. it's best to change them out.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:36:16 pm »
I don't have the knowhow, or the tools. Who do ppl use to replace caps?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »
Most people do it themselves.  It's not too hard once you get the hang of it.

If you do want to have somebody do it for you, you've got a couple choices: you can take the whole monitor to a local TV repair shop (if you can find one) and get charged ~$100-150, or you can pull the chassis board (often the hardest part of the process, mind you) and ship it off to an enthusiast who will maybe do it for $25-50 + parts and return shipping.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:53:39 pm »
I guess I could probably pull the chassis. Take lots of pics of it before I pull it so I know how it goes back together. Now to find someone to do it ::)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2