Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Mario Brothers Crossover - Anyone get on their cab/emu pc?  (Read 14098 times)

Necro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
Just curious if anyone has put this on their cab or emupc somehow - and if so how they did it.  Thinking I'll need to download it somehow but not certain how.

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:56:11 pm
Re: Super Mario Brothers Crossover - Anyone get on their cab/emu pc?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:38 am »
Its a flash game - look at the source, find the .SWF file and download it.  that normally works.

There is a program that "wraps" flash files into a program window..  can't remember what its called.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:30 pm »
It's not that easy with the 2.1 version it seems.  The loading app is the .swf, from there its a different type of content that can't be snatched easily, or at all it seems.  If somebody can get it please shoot me a link!

Here's the link to some of the older versions that are downloadable from the smbc forums: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._Crossover/Old_Versions

Edit:

So I downloaded 1.2 (which is fun but is no 2.1) and ran it through an online .swf to .exe converter and it works great.  Of course to use it with a cab you'll have to play with the resolution on launch and have a special J2K mapping to use the controls, or remap your controls to the defaults of the game...annnnd you'll probably need an ahk script to kill the think when you're done playing.  Other than that it's cab ready  :lol

Added a rar'd package of the 1.2 swf for anybody that wants to mess around with it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:00:33 pm by Le Chuck »

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:36 pm »
Just extracted 2.1 SWF. Please test to make sure it runs correctly, had to do some trickery.

Wouldn't mind messing with this flash game as well to make it cabinet friendly if someone started a cabinet build on it.

http://www.speedyshare.com/C23fj/SMBC2.1.swf

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:27:18 pm »
Were you getting this to run?  All I get is the loading screen flash (mario walking across the screen) then it craps out.  It's the same file that I tried to rip off the site I think.  If you're getting it to run can you convert it to a stand alone .exe and I'll give that a shot. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »
Just extracted 2.1 SWF. Please test to make sure it runs correctly, had to do some trickery.

Wouldn't mind messing with this flash game as well to make it cabinet friendly if someone started a cabinet build on it.

http://www.speedyshare.com/C23fj/SMBC2.1.swf

Are you sure Speedyshare is Safe to download from ?? -- Tried the download link and AVG went off with a warning - Not sure if it is a false positive or real but figured I'd let you know !!

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 03:55:34 am »
Should have worked but after some more testing on another computer it doesn't.

I tried many ways to extract the game from the preloader to no avail. AS3 Encryption is difficult. I however found another solution to use it offline.

Get your cabinet online. Play the game once from the website. Download the preloader here. Play the swf in an swf player, I use GOM Player. This saves the game to your hard drive (working out where and in what form  :banghead: ). You can now run the SWF file offline.

I will do more research into where the info is saved. I scoured "APPDATA" and didn't find anything.

:badmood:

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:44:33 am »
Go to http://file2hd.com/Default.aspx

Paste the URL of the flash game you want to rip in there, and click "get files" (click the agree button too).

Find the .SWF file - click, download.

Drag the .SWF file to an open IE window, and it works just fine.  (for the record I'm running IE 10)

Just associate .SWF with Internet Explorer - and it'll open right up.  Resolution may be tricky.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:58:51 am by Fursphere »

melvinbates

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:21:55 pm »
Wow, somehow missed this gem.  Thanks Cory for the work on getting it offline, this would be awesome on my sons cab. (also just signed up to back Super Retro Squad so everyone wins  :D )

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:43 pm »
Going to try using CoryBee's method for Lethal League tonight, thanks!

For the curious:

http://lethalleague.reptile-games.com/

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
Super Mario Brothers Crossover - Anyone get on their cab/emu pc?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:59 pm »

Paste the URL of the flash game you want to rip in there, and click "get files" (click the agree button too).

Drag the .SWF file to an open IE window, and it works just fine.  (for the record I'm running IE 10)

Just associate .SWF with Internet Explorer - and it'll open right up.  Resolution may be tricky.

Fur, please post a dl link to the ripped game. I tries this method yesterday and it only got the loader.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »

Fur, please post a dl link to the ripped game. I tries this method yesterday and it only got the loader.

Yea the preloader is AS3 protected and no signs of finding the data saved on the hard drive. But I tried two different computers with this my method offline and it works.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:31:36 pm »

Direct linky --> http://www.explodingrabbit.com/media/flash/SmbcPreloader.swf

Right click - save as.  Enjoy!

For more Mario insanity, check out http://mariobrosx.webs.com/

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 05:05:45 pm »
Fur, please re-read thread. We can safely pull the preloader but that doesn't allow offline play. For example, I can not take that SWF file and put it on my cabinet and it work. The preloader is just that, a flash movie that loads the actual game. This is to stop exactly what we are doing, unauthorized downloading of a game.

;D

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
So you can't take the pre-loader and open it with IE?

I can..  works fine.  Maybe its because my cabinet has internet connectivity?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:53:19 pm by Fursphere »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:08:17 pm »
Ok, I just proved this.  The "preloader" file appears to be the complete game (self contained file)

I fired up my laptop - that has never played that game before - used the link I posted in this thread to right click - download the file.

Then I disabled the network adapter on my laptop, then double-clicked the SWF and told it to load with Internet Explorer (laptop is Win7 using IE10 btw).

File loaded - stopped for a second - then proceeded to load the entire game and I was able to start a game and play.

Internet connection is NOT required, and the "smbcpreloader.swf" is the complete game - unless it craps out during a level or something..  I only played it for a few seconds.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 06:45:07 pm »
I have IE10 and the must recent flash player as well.  No go, stalls out before the loading screen ever moves then goes black.  You've got the magic voodoo rig I guess.  Any chance of rolling this into an executable?  That way there shouldn't be an issue with anybody running it.  I gave it a shot but it keeps failing right at the end. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »
If I have time tonight after work (meaning my kids don't' attack me when i get home..  hehe) I'll give it a shot.

I can stand up a brand new clean windows 7 build in my VMware environment too, and see exactly what's required to get this blasted thing running. 

Mine stalls as well - the first screen is just mario standing on the left and it lookings like nothing is happening.  Then about 5 - 10 seconds later, it goes black for about 5 - 10 seconds, THEN starts the "exploding rabbit" splash screen.

Let me fire up fiddler and see if its even trying to access the internet... 

EDIT:  Nope.  I don't see any network requests from internet explorer when I load the file.  So no internet hook.

EDIT2: Cleared all IE cache / history / activex / temp files..  everything.   Game still loads up fine.

EDIT3: Attempted the load the file in Google Chrome FAILS.  It says "loading" and the coin x says "NINI"   - Whatever that means.

EDIT4: The file loaded fine in Firefox (slow loading) and Safari (very fast load!)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:18:20 pm by Fursphere »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 08:37:02 pm »
The preloader is not the full game...  :banghead:

It loads the game, then saves it to your computer. Try the swf file with a computer that doesn't have an internet connection. Make sure you do not run it at ALL on the computer with an internet connection. It doesn't load. Play it once with internet connection and then disconnect from the internet and now that computer can play it.

If I am wrong and you can play the full game from the SWF I would like to know. But it sounds like you used your laptop with a connection and then tried it without afterwards.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 08:47:16 pm »
My laptop never played the game with an internet connection (as I stated above).

So how far / long to I need to play the game to tell if its the full game, or just a pre-loader?  1 level?  5 levels?

A number of characters?

Whats the test here? 

I'll gladly help figure this out - just tell me what I'm supposed to look for...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 08:51:54 pm »
If you can get into the game at all then you likely have it, you're farther than any of us.  I have some other friends toying around with it as well.  If I get any success I'll post up.  In the mean time I rocked out some 1.2 as Billy with my screen size cranked way down.  Totally fun!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 09:12:12 pm »
I can run fiddler2 and / or wireshark to see if the .SWF file is reaching out over the internet at all during gameplay, looking for additional files.

I can also run process explorer (I think?) to see what files have been opened by it as well (checking for temp files or whatever).

If CoryBee would give me just a little more information about how he is determining what is and isn't a successful "offline play" - I could go a lot further in figuring out what he is referring too when he says "The preloader is not the full game... "

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 09:41:13 pm »
I just played the first two levels of the game, internet ON, with fiddler running the entire time - using IE10.

Not a single request to the internet. 

I also had Process Explorer going - now there is a lost of noise in there - but I didn't see the .SWF file calling ANYTHING local on the computer.  So the "temp files" argument - while not totally killed yet - isn't looking very strong right now.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »
Cool, try exporting to exe and giving one of us a go  ;D

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 10:01:26 pm »
I stand corrected. Proceed to exporting the game to swf and see if it continues to work for you. I would like a copy.

I will poke around the swf a little when I am done in the workshop with a flash decompiler & Flash MX.

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:13 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:41:05 pm by Louis Tully »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 10:06:47 pm »
Its been a long time since I've converted a SWF to EXE - so I'll have to re-learn how to do that (google-fu!).

I know there is a program - sort of like an emulator - that'll run .SWF files just like a ROM image, where you can adjust video settings and what not.  I just haven't seen it in like forever.  I'll dig around for that tonight if I can.

Right now, its family time.  :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »
To anybody that is flash savvy, huge props to the soul who decompiles this and makes a few changes:  Increase screen size to an arcade friendly resolution (800x600 or the like) and add a dedicated exit button.  Double points if you remove the click needed at launch and make the assignable controls save a custom mapping after restart.  Export as .exe.  Save us the AHK work around.   ;D 

Right now, its family time.  :)

That's what's most important man  :cheers:

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:17:16 pm »
One last thing...

http://www.standaloneflashplayer.com/

I just downloaded that, and it loaded up the .SWF file like a champ.  It doesn't scale the video playback though...  so that's still on the list.

But at least you can play offline with the need of a browser now.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »
No dice.  Still hangs on start, even with that stand alone player.  What size is your smbcpreloader.swf?  Mine is 4.41 MB (4,630,158 bytes) downloaded from the link in your earlier post, Fur. 

When I press play it is just a loop of mario running in place and the center screen reads Loading 00

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:32 pm »
Mine is the same size.  If its loading the image, I'd think you have shockwave installed correctly

Try loading it up and let it sit for like 10 minutes. ?

Maybe reinstall shockwave flash player?

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 12:33:30 am »
Ok, tried http://download.cnet.com/Free-SWF-to-EXE-Converter/3000-6676_4-75760364.html to convert it to an EXE.

Now I've got the loading screen --> blackness "hang" behavior you guys described.  (with the EXE).  The "program window" Said Adobe Flash 10.  I thought 11 was available now?

The SWF works fine.

EDIT:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/05/31/windows-release-preview-the-sixth-ie10-platform-preview.aspx

It seems a version of flash comes with Windows 8 and / or IE10 (for win7).  I haven't actually installed adobe flash on this computer using the Adobe installer (I'll check my laptop in a second - its Win7 IE10).   And I'll fire up the arcade cab (Win7) to see how it works.

Have you guys tried Firefox?   Chrome has built in Flash too - but I already know it doesn't work.  I don't know what Safari uses.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:36:58 am by Fursphere »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 12:51:58 am »
Update!

So my MAME PC - Windows 7, 64 bit, IE 10 - **flash not installed**

SWF wouldn't load in IE.  Just failed flat out.  So I went ahead and downloaded and installed the newest version of Adobe Flash 11 (directly from Adobe) and now it works fine.

The pre-compiled EXE version I "made" appears to be Flash 10, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it (it failed before and after flash installations on my MAME PC).

Can you guys confirm what version of Flash you have installed?

EDIT:  http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Offline, Stand alone flash player, version 11 - officail from Adobe.  If that won't play the files for you, I don't know what will.  It works on the command line too (flashplayer swf file).  Chain it with a program called "qres.exe" and you can get it sudo-fullscreen.  Add in an autohotkey script and you can make it all automated and cabinet friendly.

Thats a lot of work though.  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:20:46 am by Fursphere »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 07:40:52 pm »
My flash version:  11.7.700.202
My OS Win7 64 Home Premium
IE 10.0.9

I've tried swiffplayer and swf loader but am still getting nothing.  Let 2.1 sit in IE for more than an hour.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  KevSteele has been able to get it rolling offline also but hasn't been successful in wrapping it yet. 

:dunno

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 08:45:22 pm »
At the prodding of a pal I joined the forum on Exploding Rabbit and posted this.  I also donated to the Super Retro Squad project which hopefully will release soonish.  I'll keep this thread posted and if you have any recommendations for arcade friendly features that I missed please let me know so I can update. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 11:14:47 pm »
My flash version:  11.7.700.202
My OS Win7 64 Home Premium
IE 10.0.9

I've tried swiffplayer and swf loader but am still getting nothing.  Let 2.1 sit in IE for more than an hour.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  KevSteele has been able to get it rolling offline also but hasn't been successful in wrapping it yet. 

:dunno

In Flash settings do you have it set to allow programs to save to your system and how much space do you allow them to use - perhaps either you have it set to not allow the downloading to your system or have the threshold set lower than the size of the program ? (both Global and Local settings)

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 01:48:27 pm »
Checked out your post on exploding rabbit, it would be hella-sweet if the devs took those suggestions into consideration.

I had a similar experience with the game "Offspring Fling" which was a keyboard-only indie game, except that the menu navigation was solely mouse-based  :angry:

So I got on Twitter and DMed the developer and he said he would look into putting keyboard functionality into the menus in a future revision.  I bought the game anyway because he was so prompt to reply to my suggestion.  It is in my experience that indie devs are really good with keeping an open line of communication between them and their audience.  Here's hoping that's the case with SMBC as well.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 10:49:37 pm »
Sorry to dig this up , but just found out about this game and am trying to get it on my cab.
Anyone make an exe for this or figure out an easy way to get it on a cab?

TapeWormInYourGut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:23 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »
There is a download link on that page now. Can't you just download it and run it in an swf player?

I downloaded it, disabled my internet, and tried to play it in a flash player (aka opened it in my web browser). It took a minute to load, but played fine.

deezdrama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 09:45:32 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146268.0.html
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »
I started a thread on HS.fe and also dug this thread up.... I been updating the HS thread but forgot about this one lol.

Anyway.... yeah , I just saved the swf for smbc 3 and open it with flash projector and can ctrl F for fullscreen.
I got it working.... sorry I forgot to update here.