Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New School / Old School Project  (Read 1813 times)

ckoz5.0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2017, 10:15:23 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New School / Old School Project
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »
Hi everyone. New to ArcadeControls. Just wanted to post my first arcade project.

This is a pedistal arcade inspired by the Aliens Extermination cab and bbb Mortal Combat's take on it. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?13645-BBB-s-Mortal-Kombat-9-Arcade-Machine. I scored a 39inch HDTV from HHGregg for under 300. It has a PC port in the back and resolution looks great.

I've been working on the control panel for a number of years and found a really nice layout for 2-4 players. 4 8 way sticks with one being a mechinical rortary for use with Ikari Warriors. Custom machined use spinner as well. I laid the panel out to work well with games like Tron, Tempest, Gauntlet, and Smash TV.

What I really like is that I'm reusing some actual controls from arcade games from the '80's. I have Wico trackball from wayback and an actual GORF stick that I converted from the hall effect sensors to a conventional 8 way stick. Plus I'll be building a seperate pedistal mount for a refurbished Star Wars flight yoke and one for a set of Atari Assult Tank sticks that I scored from Ebay.

I'm using Ultimarc's IPAC 4, Optipac, Spintrak, rortary joystick interface and LEDPAC64 LED controller. MALA frontend as well. The SW yoke was going to be hacked into the Microsoft Dual Strike Controller PCB but I see the RAM controls has an actual SW control interface, so I will probably go that route.

Here are 2 of the inital renderings until I have better photos to show.

Let me know what you think!

Chris

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 02:39:34 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: New School / Old School Project
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
I don't think RAM is open for business anymore. You can buy it from ThisOldGame, however:

http://www.thisoldgame.com/products/usb-adaptor-for-atari-yoke-controller
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ckoz5.0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:57 pm »
Here's some shots of the build so far.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:45:41 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 03:22:49 am »
Welcome aboard, Chris.

The SW yoke was going to be hacked into the Microsoft Dual Strike Controller PCB but I see the RAM controls has an actual SW control interface, so I will probably go that route.

Before you even think about doing business with RAM SCAM controls, please read this thread.

If you're a real glutton for punishment, you can slog through the 116 page KLOV thread.

AFAIK, there has only been one company that has had two simultaneous sticky threads (always at the top of the page) warning you about their business practices -- this one has since been un-stickied.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.  Let the buyer beware.

ThisOldGame and ArcadeFixit got any remaining RAM-repro items that might be in their stock from SCAM before the truth came out -- both are great vendors.   :applaud:

If you want to connect your yoke to the Sidewinder without cutting up the yoke harness, TwistyWrist has the necessary connector and pins at a GREAT price.

Scott

ckoz5.0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
Wow that really sucks. I've been looking at their website for years. I assumed they were rich guys running their business like a hobby based on the snails pace that they completed projects. What really hurts is that I was counting on purchasing many of the Assault tank stick parts from. In any case, I really appreciate the heads up.