Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Model 2 Cabinet Game Conversion?  (Read 4271 times)

exetacosalad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2013, 03:03:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega Model 2 Cabinet Game Conversion?
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »
Maybe a stupid question, but does converting from one sega model 2 driving game to another sega model 2 driving game work?
For example, Switch the PCB of Initial D v3 to Sega Rally for a cabinet originally Initial D v3? And Vice Versa?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Re: Sega Model 2 Cabinet Game Conversion?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »
Maybe a stupid question, but does converting from one sega model 2 driving game to another sega model 2 driving game work?
For example, Switch the PCB of Initial D v3 to Sega Rally for a cabinet originally Initial D v3? And Vice Versa?

Switching between Model 2 games would just be switching the PCB, but Initial D isn't a Model 2 game, it's NAOMI.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »
Even then, because it's a racing game and not a generic joystick game you are going to run into wiring issues.  Sega is pretty good about having settings to let their games run in different types of cabs but that's still no guarantee.  You'll basically have to research the particular game you want to put in.

exetacosalad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2013, 03:03:41 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:58 pm »
Omg, thanks for catching that error. I somehow grouped NAOMI 2 and Model 2 together.

I would expect things not going well from driving game to joystick with the controls.
But another particular game I am looking to play is Daytona.  So I would assume Sega Rally and Daytona would switch out okay and be playable?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »
Omg, thanks for catching that error. I somehow grouped NAOMI 2 and Model 2 together.

I would expect things not going well from driving game to joystick with the controls.
But another particular game I am looking to play is Daytona.  So I would assume Sega Rally and Daytona would switch out okay and be playable?

That's not what I meant at all.  What I meant was if you had a generic joystick-based cabinet it would adhere to the jamma standard, you could put virtually any game in there.  Racing cabinets don't have a standard at all, so the wiring can potentially be completely different for each game. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:31:22 pm »
The original Model 2 Daytona and Sega Rally both use the same shifter, steering and ffb setup.  Beyond that, I don't know.
So far, most of the members here in the driving cab forum just tinker with emulators, not real boards.

Andy Geezer would know if you want to try emailing him. http://www.tms-designs.com/theshed/