Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My First Restoration.  (Read 3156 times)

Acids

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2023, 05:50:45 am
  • Bring It.. Smart arse!
My First Restoration.
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:27 am »
Hello All, I have been haunting this place for ages.   I don't say much but I'm constantly amazed buy what this community is achieving.
The cabinets people are building are just amazing and real pieces of art.  i Built my own in the past and it has provided for may good times with friends and just a couple of small fights.  hehehehe   yeah remember me boys, i kicked ya arse all over the room!!

So their I was... Surfing the "Local" version of Ebay we like to call "Trademe".  Even though there is very little trading going on other than people trading money for junk (IMHO),  I stumbled across the most unlikely listing.

Someone has listed 5, YES I SAID 5!     SEGA AERO CABS.   My mind went racing!!   I Want I Want.
(Here in New Zealand 99% of the cabs are wood and well over-priced or ready for firewood.)

One small problem, he is 6.35 hours away according to google maps and off the beaten track  ( not in a main center )
So whats my next thought?  How big are these things.  hummmmm  yup 2 will squeeze into a van  :cheers:

This is going to be a mission and I'm willing to do what needs to be done,  I NEED that cabinet!!

So,  1 van hire for 2 days and lots of petrol  ( Petrol in NZ is expensive!! )
Wow that's more than the cabs  :'(   hummmm.

What about freight i thought?    So i call all the major firms and a couple of smaller ones.   wholey shite they are ALL Super expensive!
And the majority wont collect out of a main centre!!    DAMIT!!

After several calls to the lister to show my honest interest and not just waste his time he tells me he has a "Mate" that can help with freight.
Well I thought, I've got nothing to Loose.   So ask him if he could ask and if the price is good ill pay for some beers as a thankyou.

( tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, )  Days pass and I've given up hope, simply too expensive to get it here and no calls.
Then out of the blue I get a call on my cell phone from an unknown number  ( rare for me ) and it was HIM, the cabinet guy!!

His mate came through and has a price that is AWESOME.   I played it cool and said that's a little higher than i want but lets do it.  ( Total Lie i was jumping off the ground screaming yippie kay yay in my head! )  Oh and because of the cheap freight I decided to get two cabinets and it was still cheaper than just freight from the other companies!!

So i paid "Mr Cabinet Guy" and hoped i hadn't been jipped as the freight pricing was too good to be true.  :-\
Confirmed my address and he said he would sort it as soon as he got the money in his account.

Well, 2 days later i get a call from the freight company asking for a delivery address?  odd i thought but who cares they must be close!!
Made an excuse to leave the office, grabbed the company car and speed home to make some space in the garage, Jumped out of car, ran to the front door only to realise in my haste id forgotten my house keys!!!  DOH

Never mind i thought, its a fine day and they can wait outside until i get home after work ( not visible from the street thankfully )  so i help the truck driver unload, to avoid additional damage.  not too heavy but not a 1 man job either.

And here they are outside my front door. :)
Empty cabs as per description (control panels inside to lower shipping costs.)

As i already have a working cabinet inside I'm in no rush to have one finished tomorrow or next week.
This will no doubt be slow going for you the viewer but i do hope to post pictures along the way  :applaud:

Oh and if anyone has any good tips in restoring these, please let me know. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:31:01 am by Acids »

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
Re: My First Restoration.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:21:34 pm »
Was wondering how you are going on this?

Also what were your plans, sticking with JAMMA PCB(s) or are you planning to MAME ?

I notice there are still a couple more of these for sale on Trademe - I have another project on the go at moment (restore of an old Taito Space Invaders cocktail cab) but quite like the candy case look, and thinking of "going for a drive"  ;D
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:59:14 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:45:46 am »
Hi, sign up @ http://forum.arcadeotaku.com for lots of info on Japanese candy cabs. Good luck on your restoration. :cheers:

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »
Thanks for the site suggestion, have signed up and holds heaps of good info ...on everything but the CAB I ended up buying  :-\

I ended up buying a Sega Megalo 410 (41inch rear projection screen) - cab's in really good condition, but can't (currently) get any peap out of the components - a job for this weekend, really hoping just powersupply - but based on price I paid happy if I have to gut everything and replace screen with 32" LCD etc (would be a shame though) - i'm planning to stay with JAMMA and put a Multi-Game PCB in it (Tornado 355-n-1).
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

Acids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2023, 05:50:45 am
  • Bring It.. Smart arse!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:13 am »
Hello All, I have been haunting this place for ages.   I don't say much but I'm constantly amazed buy what this community is achieving.
The cabinets people are building are just amazing and real pieces of art.  i Built my own in the past and it has provided for may good times with friends and just a couple of small fights.  hehehehe   yeah remember me boys, i kicked ya arse all over the room!!

So their I was... Surfing the "Local" version of Ebay we like to call "Trademe".  Even though there is very little trading going on other than people trading money for junk (IMHO),  I stumbled across the most unlikely listing.

Someone has listed 5, YES I SAID 5!     SEGA AERO CABS.   My mind went racing!!   I Want I Want.
(Here in New Zealand 99% of the cabs are wood and well over-priced or ready for firewood.)

One small problem, he is 6.35 hours away according to google maps and off the beaten track  ( not in a main center )
So whats my next thought?  How big are these things.  hummmmm  yup 2 will squeeze into a van  :cheers:

This is going to be a mission and I'm willing to do what needs to be done,  I NEED that cabinet!!

So,  1 van hire for 2 days and lots of petrol  ( Petrol in NZ is expensive!! )
Wow that's more than the cabs  :'(   hummmm.

What about freight i thought?    So i call all the major firms and a couple of smaller ones.   wholey shite they are ALL Super expensive!
And the majority wont collect out of a main centre!!    DAMIT!!

After several calls to the lister to show my honest interest and not just waste his time he tells me he has a "Mate" that can help with freight.
Well I thought, I've got nothing to Loose.   So ask him if he could ask and if the price is good ill pay for some beers as a thankyou.

( tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, )  Days pass and I've given up hope, simply too expensive to get it here and no calls.
Then out of the blue I get a call on my cell phone from an unknown number  ( rare for me ) and it was HIM, the cabinet guy!!

His mate came through and has a price that is AWESOME.   I played it cool and said that's a little higher than i want but lets do it.  ( Total Lie i was jumping off the ground screaming yippie kay yay in my head! )  Oh and because of the cheap freight I decided to get two cabinets and it was still cheaper than just freight from the other companies!!

So i paid "Mr Cabinet Guy" and hoped i hadn't been jipped as the freight pricing was too good to be true.  :-\
Confirmed my address and he said he would sort it as soon as he got the money in his account.

Well, 2 days later i get a call from the freight company asking for a delivery address?  odd i thought but who cares they must be close!!
Made an excuse to leave the office, grabbed the company car and speed home to make some space in the garage, Jumped out of car, ran to the front door only to realise in my haste id forgotten my house keys!!!  DOH

Never mind i thought, its a fine day and they can wait outside until i get home after work ( not visible from the street thankfully )  so i help the truck driver unload, to avoid additional damage.  not too heavy but not a 1 man job either.

And here they are outside my front door. :)
Empty cabs as per description (control panels inside to lower shipping costs.)
Pics Removed,  look higher up the page :)

As i already have a working cabinet inside I'm in no rush to have one finished tomorrow or next week.
This will no doubt be slow going for you the viewer but i do hope to post pictures along the way  :applaud:

Oh and if anyone has any good tips in restoring these, please let me know. :)

Well,  To make a long story short I "Mamed" the first cabinet.
Its loaded with Win7 that's been de-windowed so you don't see any signs of windows
On top of windows i have loaded hyper spin and filled it with a mix of emulators but mame is where this shines.

The printing didn't come out quite as expected so i had to hack-it to make it fit.

Here is the final  ( or at-least fully playable machine )