Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which logo do you prefer for the final artwork? (see page 32)

I like the original (ver. 1)
I like the new (ver. 2)

Author Topic: Mission Control Project: 5 years on, what to do with the leftovers?  (Read 558547 times)

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2024, 05:12:30 pm
Re: Mission Control Project - Glue up VIDEO WOOT
« Reply #1400 on: March 24, 2010, 09:09:10 pm »
Do you have the files for these to where I could adapt them? Or is this a signature trademark to your project that you don't want to give up? Or are these just mockups that aren't really adaptable.

Basically what Shmokes said. ;)

They are built from a mix of Illustrator files with the paper effect added in Photoshop. So any adapting would have to be done in AI. But, yeah everything will be made available including the stuff designed primarily for my cab (the bezel example above). Ultimately there will be full sets of artwork for "customizing"/branding cab projects. So for a given design there'll be a marquee, sideart, bezel, CP, and FE skin which will all match for an integrated feel.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:21:40 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: Mission Control Project - Speaker panel build/installation
« Reply #1401 on: April 18, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
Wow Pixel!!! I have not checked this thread in like 2 years. I am glad to see that you are still at it. It is coming along great!!! It looks like the render is really coming to life now. Keep up the stellar work. I hope it is done before the world ends in 2012 because I do want to see how it looks when it is finished. 
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 02:41:27 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #1402 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:02 pm »
I rarely log on to the forum anymore but every time I do I'm sure to check out your thread. So today, just like 3 years ago when I found your thread the first time I again get to experience the Mission Control cliff-hanger 4 new pages of updates and it's still just a taste. Great progress, I may have to check in more often now that you seem to be rolling along, and I'm trying to finish a 2 year project for my dad.

Keep it up, it's an inspiration.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1403 on: April 21, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »
Thanks for the ecouragement guys. I'm prepping another update for miscellaneous fixes, the CP mounting, the walnut trim panels beneath the CP, and the curved kick plate/coin door panel.

Just thought I'd ask since there's such a broad user base on BYOAC now... anyone in southern california with a vacuum bag press for laminate and veneer gluing want to help out? My garage or yours. It'd need to pull about 1.2 CFM in a 2'x4' bag. Maybe even 3.2 CFM in a 4x4 bag. I need to laminate 4 curved panels into shape against 4 forms and then veneer them. These will end up as the coin door panel and three top and rear panels to follow the cabinets curves. If nobody local can help out I'm facing the uncomfortable position of having to buy a kit and compressor for $500+  :dunno

Anyone? Anyone? ....   Bueller??
Project mega thread HERE

wilno45

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2017, 06:22:42 am
« Reply #1404 on: April 21, 2010, 05:24:38 pm »
When I saw the word  laminate I panicked there for a second....  ;D

When can we see the finished side panels - have you decided what to use yet?

Looking forward to what you are planning for the coin door panel - keeping it simple eh.  ;)

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1405 on: April 21, 2010, 05:34:15 pm »
When I saw the word  laminate I panicked there for a second....  ;D

:laugh2: Nah, laminate as in multiple pieces of 1/8" poplar glued up into a curve.  :angel: Solid wood wherever humanly possible. I was initially considering this multiple ply build up and veneering for the curved panel front of the CP (the panel that will flip down with a keyboard in it above the coin door kickplate) until my dad recoiled at the idea of veneer and suggested I cut it on his bandsaw from the same 8/4 cherry used on the sides. Since the arc only protrudes about an inch I think that'll work. The rest of the curved panels have to be veneered cherry over bendable poplar due to their size.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1406 on: April 21, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
As far as the finish I've decided on Tung oil. I may go with the polymerized stuff for the top coat.
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1407 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »
May as well post pics to clarify what I'm talking about.

First I cut a bunch of arcs out of poplar following the same jig I used to create the front of the control panel.

Next I clamped them together to sand out any irregularities in their shapes.

Then I screwed them onto a scrap sheet of plywood.

This will be used as a jig to bend sheets of 1/8" bendable poplar to create an arched panel veneered with cherry beneath the CP. I'll mount the coin door in the center of it on top of a piece of walnut which will have a concave curve in the back to negate the curve of the cherry panel and give the coin door a flat surface to mount to. To either side of the arched coin door panel will be walnut trim pieces. Between that and the cabinet sides will be aluminum perf panel treated the same way as seen behind the rocketsprocket logo.

Project mega thread HERE

Nada

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2012, 03:45:40 pm
« Reply #1408 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:32 pm »
Oh good lord.. what this project needs is more attention to detail. :laugh2:

I can't wait to see how this turns out and I can't imagine how you know what to do as a plan to make this work out.  I don't think you're a cabinet maker or carpenter, I thought you were a digital guy by trade, how do you know how to do all this stuff?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1409 on: April 21, 2010, 08:55:15 pm »
Oh good lord.. what this project needs is more attention to detail. :laugh2:

As in "spare us the pictures and write up of minor details" or as in "the project itself is too detailed" Cause I'll apologize for the first but not the latter.  :afro:

I thought you were a digital guy by trade, how do you know how to do all this stuff?

Simple.

I don't.
Project mega thread HERE

wilno45

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1410 on: April 22, 2010, 07:31:12 am »
Walnut next to the cherry is going to look lush.

Will the walnut panel look anything like this? If so how are you going to create the curved alcove shape?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1411 on: April 22, 2010, 02:23:41 pm »
That's exactly the idea. The only difference being that I'll likely only cut the curve in the top and the bottom edges. The sides will be cut at 45º and the center will be open (like a picture frame).
Project mega thread HERE

Nada

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2012, 03:45:40 pm
« Reply #1412 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30:18 pm »

As in "spare us the pictures and write up of minor details" or as in "the project itself is too detailed" Cause I'll apologize for the first but not the latter.  :afro:

I thought you were a digital guy by trade, how do you know how to do all this stuff?

Simple.

I don't.

Oh no.. I love the detail it's just really amazing.  I check this form once a day and always love to see the updates coming.  Don't take my joke as a derision, it's praise.  I'm just amazed.

As for not knowing how to do this, wow... Then that's amazing.

So, in short, keep up the good work, don't spare the detail and keep blowing my mind. :)

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #1413 on: May 20, 2010, 03:01:38 pm »
Pixel It's great to see progress on this extreme arcade cabinet of yours. Awesome work as always I look forward to the final finishing.
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1414 on: June 20, 2010, 02:55:27 pm »
Cue the Journey, REO Speedwagon and Night Ranger. Father's Day is all Mission Control. All day. Massive update coming soon! Like an 80's power ballad... only instead of jilted lovers and the lonliness of touring with roadies, it's all vacuum pressing and curved panel coin door love.  :afro: :afro: :afro:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 03:11:04 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1415 on: July 01, 2010, 03:01:14 am »
Lots to update.

The biggest remaining challenge on the project has been creating a number of curved panels… for the coin door/kick plate panel and for the  top and back of the cabinet. Originally I thought a sheet of thin cherry plywood could be kerfed and bent, but the curves turned out to be too tight to bend plywood. Even a sheet of kerfed 1/8" masonite split when bending to make one of the forms.

So I decided to bend and laminate 3 sheets of 1/8" bendable poplar together and then veneer them with cherry. After  months of hesitation and reading about veneering online I finally caved to the pressure to build a vacuum press to properly, accurately, and evenly bend, glue, and veneer the different shapes. There may have been ways to accomplish this without the press but I didn't trust myself improvising so I went with what seemed like the closest thing to a standard procedure.

So figure 1 is the recently completed vacuum press. Initially it felt like overkill going through so much work just to finish one aspect of the cabinet, but since seeing OND's scratch built Ionic Velvetizing Wand I felt better. Thanks and props to OND for putting my obsession in perspective ;)

Building the vacuum press

Here's how the vacuum press works….

You connect a (surprisingly large capacity) air compressor to the device on one end and a vacuum bag to the other. The compressor blows air through a restricted opening which creates a vacuum in an attached hose. The air gets sucked out of the PVC tubes through this hose and they become negatively pressurized (?) as all the air is sucked out of the attached bag. At least I think that's how it works. The system creates an insanely strong vacuum in the bag pulling down with a pressure of almost 1500 lbs. per square foot.

"21 inches of mercury" was the magic number for the press to work...

So I think it's equivalent to parking your car on top of whatever you are pressing in the bag. And then another car on top of that. Unless your car is a Hummer.

I got the plans and most of the parts to build the press from veneersupplies.com. This site was the storefront for the educational/how to veneering site joewoodworker.com which was absolutely indispensable in learning how to do this since I had never touched veneer, much less bent lamination before.

Over memorial day weekend my wife took the kids to the inlaws so considering the kit is buildable in 2-3 hrs, I figured I'd make some huge progress while home alone. It's a good thing I don't make these for a living because I started buying the parts not included in the kit at about 10am and was done with the final kit at about 1AM.  I was done with the first panel by 5am! WOOT!!! It was the first non-professional all nighter I've pulled since college.

The following is a breakdown of the vacuum press build. Scroll to my next post if you'd like to skip the details of the press construction and get to the actual bending.

This is the manifold assembly. Nothing tricky here, just wrapping threads with tape and following the kit instructions.

Lots of time was spent dealing with drilling the holes for the manifold to attach to the PVC tubes. I wasted lots of time trying to figure out the best way to approach this without a drill press (since the holes have to be absolutely straight to be threaded and seal the vacuum pressure)… I finally hacked my own drill press thingy together from MDF and 2x4's with a cheap-o drill guide I had pretty much discarded years ago. Not sure if this contraption helped or not. Probably not.

I didn't have a tap kit to thread the holes either. I took a shot at threading them with the brass fittings themselves which was unnerving but worked. The only tricky part was getting the fitting to start straight which I just couldn't get right by hand or with a ratchet. Someone online threaded theirs using their drill press which was genius. In that regard my ghetto drill assembly did help.

Here's the pipe cap all threaded and ready to be glued onto the pipe.

From there it was just wiring the thing according to the step by step instructions, building a wooden frame for it (according to the directions) and then testing it.

This is the completed press.

I was convinced the thing wouldn't work since I didn't use the recommended drill press or tap kit. Considering that the brass fittings screwed in like hot bolts into cold butter I was sure I had messed up the threading and they'd leak under pressure. But the thing held and after a few test runs I had my first panel completed.

The actual bending

So each of the curved panels in the project will be laminated together from 3 sheets of bendable poplar plus a layer of cherry veneer on the top and bottom. Essentially it makes a custom piece of plywood in whatever shape you bend it to while gluing. The resulting arc is remarkably strong and light.

To start I made a form for the kick panel/coin door area out of poplar and masonite. The poplar arcs were cut to a shape I drew and printed from Illustrator as seen earlier on this page. Unfortunately that all had to be scrapped and redone since the original arc, which matched the control panel, was basically imperceptible once I put the masonite on it. So I recut all the poplar and assembled the final jig.

To bend the panel I just rolled veneer glue over each piece of poplar and the two pieces of veneer, kept them aligned with a screw and stuck it in the vacuum bag with a sheet of mesh on top to keep air from getting trapped. A couple minutes later it was drawn to it's final shape and allowed to cure.

The coin door gets mounted to this arched panel. Since the door is flat I'm sandwiching a piece of walnut with a concave arch in the back between it and the curve to allow the coin door to lay flush. Wilno45's example pic above of what I needed to make explains the part far better than I ever could.

I traced the arch of the cherry panel onto a piece of MDF to make a template for cutting the concave arc into the walnut. I used a 3/4" top bearing trim bit in my router to cut the top and bottom edges of the walnut down to where the opening for the coin door would be. Before continuing I used an MDF template to trim the panel to the shape of the coin door (adding about 1/2" to use as trim) and then blulnosed that.

I tested the fit against the cherry and was super happy with the result.

So that gave me a nice flush fit between the walnut and the cherry for the top and bottom edges of the walnut "bezel" To trim the side edges I used a 45deg chamfer bit, making sure to set it just far enough back that it would cut right to the edge of the side.

To use the chamfer bit I first cut channels for it to ride in as a guide.

Then cut the 45 deg edges

Next I flipped the panel over and used the router and a small hand saw to cut out the opening for the coin door. I had also bullnosed the edges with the router.

The notches in the sides are for some tab thingies on the back of the coin door. Here's what the final part looks like. Very similar to Wilno's example seen here:

After trimming the cherry kick panel to the same angle as the cab (wider at top, narrower at base), I cut two poplar braces off the form I used to bend the panel since these would fit perfectly into the back. These are glued to the base of the panel and top of the panel to give it some attachment points to mount it, as well as to increase it's rigidity should any one actually *kick* the kick panel.

Next I cut some angled strips to place on the back of the arched panel to give the coin door brackets a flush surface to clamp to.

In order to reach the angled strips I replaced the bolts on the coin door and added some washers for the tabs to attach to.

The sides of the coin door panel/kick plate are trimmed in walnut made from a piece of hardwood t-molding like the front trim of the CP, glued to a piece of 3/4" walnut. These flank the sides of the curved cherry panel. The t-molding gets pretty thin towards it's edge so I epoxied a strip of 3/8 x 38" sanded plexi to the inside edge of each trim piece. I cut the edge of the plastic that faces the cherry at an angle so it sits flush. This plastic will act like a cleat to brace the edge of the walnut should anyone… again…. actually kick the kickpanel. In the space behind the plastic I'll mount a stip of white LEDs so the edges of the trim will give off a soft diffused glow across the curved cherry face of the kickpanel, which will hopefully accentuate it's curve.

Thin edge….

You can barely see the plastic  in the upper left section of trim in this pic…

I cut the bottom of these trim pieces to allow them to sit at the same angle as the cab sides. Then I attached the walnut trim to the curved panel at the braces I had cut from the form earlier.

Once all that was assembled I traced the profile of it's base to a piece of MDF with about a 1/2" offset to use as a template for cutting a base for it to sit on.

Once the base was cut out I had to trim the edges at the same angle as the cabinet's sides. I used the "RBAAD" for this ;)

Here's the base on the kick panel….

A while back I had cut two large trim panels to sit inset on either side of the cabinet.

These flank the coin door panel assembly. Once I aligned the base of the coin door between these I kerfed them to allow the installation of perf panel between them.

Some sanding, staining and perf panel cutting and the parts were assembled into their final positions.

Next it was on to the curved front panel of the CP….

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:17:40 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Amazing workmanship! It's also really inspiring and insightful to see how you work, Amazing documentation and pictures. Thank you!

Tiouko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 11:19:10 pm
 :notworthy: WTF this is incredible,  OMG ...OMG :applaud: fricking awesome that is all I can say. I bet those arcade companies wished they had you back in the days. Keep up the good work. Everyday I  log on this forum just to look for your work. I get sad when i don't see anything new. But I also know that you can't rush perfection this machine is going to be priceless.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Thanks! My camera gets pretty dusty. Especially with all the MDF  :angry:

Sometimes I can't decide which takes longer... building the parts or updating the thread. I haven't wanted to interrupt the progress since I have several deadlines with it, so all of this has really piled up! :embarassed:

I'm glad someone gets insight from it all. It's actually been harder to figure out HOW to build these parts than to actually make them. Harder, but often even more fun....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:22:48 am by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
I bet those arcade companies wished they had you back in the days.
... to bankrupt them.  :-[ >:D

Everyday I  log on this forum just to look for your work. I get sad when i don't see anything new.

Wow thats probably the biggest compliment I've gotten in this thread. :) :afro:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:28:56 am by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

ei8ht

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2023, 03:20:47 am
Breathtaking...  :applaud:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:33:16 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
I like your blackboard. It's like the lair of a madman, scheming away...  :cheers: Your cabinet looks my something by Da Vinci.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2024, 02:37:03 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Dude, if someone actually kicks your kick panel, you need to just punch them in the face.  Seriously.   :bat

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
I like your blackboard. It's like the lair of a madman, scheming away...  :cheers:

Mwahahaha
Project mega thread HERE

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
Dude, if someone actually kicks your kick panel, you need to just punch them in the face.  Seriously.   :bat
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Your cabinet looks my something by Da Vinci.

Aww.....Busted...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:08:47 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Your cabinet looks my something by Da Vinci.

Aww.....Busted...

Excellent Post  :laugh:
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:33:16 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
Let me know when these kits go for sale. Thanks.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
:laugh2:

Maybe people can pre-order and pay in advance  :angel:
This signature is intentionally left blank

Kurt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2010, 10:53:22 pm
 :o 

Your photo should be inserted into the dictionary next to the meaning of skill, omg and f***

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline

Heh heh... no kits until I have a 8'x8' cnc machine, kids out of college and a fat retirement package.

However... before then you can pick up one of these attractively packaged collectible 8" PVC commemorative multi-articulated limited edition action figures for an outrageously low price at ComiCon this year.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:25:31 pm by Pixelhugger »
Project mega thread HERE

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
 :notworthy:  :cheers:

Stunning Pixel...stunning.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Tiouko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 11:19:10 pm

Heh heh... no kits until I have a 8'x8' cnc machine, kids out of college and a fat retirement package.

However... before then you can pick up one of these attractively packaged collectible 8" PVC commemorative multi-articulated limited edition action figures for an outrageously low price at ComiCon this year.  ::)

I'd so buy one! you never Cease to amaze me pixel as always superb.

wilno45

• Offline Offline
Pixelhugger, fantastic work - simply stunning.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Haha - those won't display well however; the hang tab should be in the back. Unless the rear of your cabinet is more interesting than the front...

:)

However... before then you can pick up one of these attractively packaged collectible 8" PVC commemorative multi-articulated limited edition action figures for an outrageously low price at ComiCon this year.  ::)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Aww.....Busted...

Haha nice!
The writing should be backwards though... ;)

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Heh heh... Hey man, I didn't build the box.  ;) I just put the goods inside. You'd be surprized how hard it is to find just the right toy packaging on google images. Beggars can't be choosers.  :angel:
Project mega thread HERE

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Heh heh... Hey man, I didn't build the box.  ;) I just put the goods inside. You'd be surprized how hard it is to find just the right toy packaging on google images. Beggars can't be choosers.  :angel:
No no, I meant the Da Vinci image! Da Vinci was known for his "mirrored writing", right to left. Yeah, I'm an art nerd. :D

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Heh... I was responding to Havok. Sorry I shoulda quoted.  ;)
Project mega thread HERE