Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Epic Arcade  (Read 44282 times)

epicfatigue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2016, 08:16:08 pm
    • http://www.retromods.com.au
Project Epic Arcade
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:31:36 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Love this sight for the past year i have spent a large amount of time reading it, and dreaming that one day i would be able to set forth and build an arcade of my own that i could sit down with my daughter and play.

I have posted bits here and there around the net but that all ends now.

I would like to create a small thread on here and list my project as it happens here on out to gain valuable input from you all, as i have alot to learn and may be over looking the simple things.

If there is anything i am doing you would do different please let me know, also please note the build as it is now will be fully stripped once i have it the way i want it to be so i can restore it to show room condition.

I know that is alittle backwards from how you should create a cabinet but to be honest i just wanted to get on the beers with mates here and there and have some fun like the good old days.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:48:35 am by epicfatigue »

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
Re: My first Arcade Build
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
I had been searching for a very long time for an arcade cabinet as they are becoming
harder and harder to find. Whilst driving I came across an old bike shop that was
closing down.
By chance out the back they had an old arcade machine that was not functioning.
I offered to buy the machine and to my surprise the owner was happy to part with it.

The next day the machine arrived at my door, it was in very poor shape, the game
board was missing the coin door has been stolen and the back of the machine was
missing.
None of this really bothered me to much as I wanted to restore the cabinet and was
just happy to finally have a starting point.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:38:48 pm »
The monitor had seen better days it was a WGK7000 and was made in the early 1980’s. The screen was excellent however the monitor chassis being so old many of the components had exceeded their expected life span.

I removed the monitor which is always a fun experience as you have to discharge the 5000volts out of the unit using a screw driver which always leaves your heart racing!

Here is a before and after shot of the monitor prior to restoration.
As you can tell there is a noticeable difference. (Please note i did try and adjust the monitor in the before shot but it would not clean up for the life of it)
Before

After

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:26:17 am by epicfatigue »

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »
One of the largest issues I faced was having a machine that could go the distance, as many arcade games out there today are still unplayable do not utilize Graphics cards for game processing.

One of these games off the top of my head is Gauntlet Legends, which this machine runs perfectly.

The largest issue was getting the correct resolutions into the machine, for this we used a HD4890 and Calamity created a special set of drivers that allowed the creation of 200 original resolutions that would suit all the Arcade games emulators and PC games.

CPU-------------- Intel Xenon E3120
Cooler----------- Corsair H100i
RAM------------- 8GIG HyperX 1066 Kingston DDR2
Mother Board--- Asus Rampage Formula X48
GPU 1----------- Arcade VGA (Native 15Khz)
GPU 2----------- HD4890 (Hacked Drivers)
PSU ------------- TBA
Case ------------- TBA
Speakers--------- Logitech Z-640

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:02 pm »
Since the machine features two graphics cards, one for native bios support the other is software controlled using hacked drivers the monitor would normally have to be switched off during boot.

So I created an Automatic KVM switch, this device allows the Arcade machine to be booted with once graphics card and once Windows has loaded the device will then trigger and switch to the second internal graphics card.
This device is not on a timer, it has a custom driver that will talk to the KVM and let it know when it is ready to switch. You can see it in action here in a video I created for you.         

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »
I wanted to keep the arcade spirit alive by keeping the coin door and all its functionality in place. However someone had stolen the door and I had to acquire a new one. I managed to locate an original door from a local arcade.
I also wanted to keep the coin counter fully functioning but the problem I had was the originals generated a large EMP pulse that would destroy modern day electronics while connected (The IPAC that controls PC Input)

I used a custom circuit that allows the coin counter work fully on its own separated from the Computer hardware, when a coin is inserted it triggers the counter which then flashes an Infrared beam that triggers a Phototransistor and lets the computer know a coin has been paced into the machine, here is a short video.

FYI Resetting this was a world of pain, i am now a master of this can do do it very quickly but nutting it out was not much fun, and the drunker i got the harder it was!

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:48:13 pm »
The unit has the ability to be able to use 4x Xbox360 wireless controllers; this is used for various reasons.  There are a lot of PC games out there that require analogue Joysticks (Mainly PC Games) the purpose of the machine before any other is to keep the true arcade feel and I didn’t want to over complicate the Unit with multiple joysticks so I decided the ability to pull out a wireless controller would be a fantastic idea.

The issue that I imminently faced was there are no drivers written for the Xbox360 receiver for windows XP 64. It is not possible to install Windows 7 due various reasons, mainly the resolutions switching feature will not work as components had been removed.

So the decision was simple.... I had to write the drivers myself!
Here is a very short video using the Xbox 360 controller.

Unfortunately my wife is away while I was drafting this letter for you and I didn’t have a second person to use the Namco Gun.
The idea is to turn an all-time favourite of mine into a 2 player game.
One person would move the character around reload etc.
The other would use the Namco gun to Aim and shoot with recoil.

It takes BOOM HEADSHOT to a whole new level, and is a crazy amount of fun!

The machine uses a program called Xpadder that allows multiple mappings of profiles for different games; the program will sit in the background and load the appropriate profile when it detected a game that it is configured for.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:49 pm »
When building the cabinet I wanted to be able to play gun games, not just for arcade games but console and computer games.

Playing Duck hunt or Wild-Gunman with a Namco recoil gun has to be the most fun I have done in a long time. Forget the ZAPPER - this is the way the game should have been!

The ability to play all the classics on all the consoles gives the user a wide variety.
The machine also features Steam support, and 8000 of my favourite dos games.

However the issue I had when I first installed the gun circuitry was the recoil would only fire when the trigger was pressed. This was perfectly fine for majority of the arcade games and consoles. But modern games when using a machine gun the one recoil just was not enough.

This prompted me to create a rapid fire mode and build it into the guns, there is a push button switch that will allow you to be able to switch between full Automatic and the regular Semi-Automatic.

Here is a video of the Gun in action on House of the Dead.

The Guns themselves are fitted with an Aimtrack module, it emulates a mouse and its accuracy is amazing, I tested its competitors and they all fell well short.
The guns are original Namco Guns, and the kickback (Recoil) is very strong.

i Am currently fine tuning this it is almost done, if someone would like one and are happy to pay for shipping and materials please raise your hand, if you would like to make your own i will post a schematic soon!

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »
The machine is equipped with the following emulators, and I personally own all of the games that are installed on the machine, as I am a collector of retro consoles and games.

•   Nintendo Entertainment System
•   Super Nintendo
•   Nintendo 64
•   Nintendo Wii
•   Microsoft Xbox
•   PlayStation
•   PlayStation 2
•   Sega Mega Drive
•   Sega Master System
•   Sega Dream Cast
•   MAME

The machine also features Steam support; any game purchased on the steam account will show up under the steam menu and display all information about the game and the trailer.

The unit also has a MS-DOS section that has all of the dos game I have purchased over the years, my collection totals to just over 8000 Dos games.
To Name some of my favourites to play on the machine are as follows.
Doom, Wolf3d, Commander Keen, Paganitzu the list could go on forever!

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:54:33 pm »
Will add to this tomorrow, let me know what you think thus far people,

I have so much to learn as i want this to be a machine that i can sit back and look at whilst having a beer with my head held up high know that i built it!

:cheers:

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
Re: My first Arcade Build 5ghz Watercooled
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:42:47 am »
And the moment alot of you have been waiting for.

Its a very simple circuit, this is just for rapid fire,
When the SPDT switch is on rapid fire will be active, the recoil will act as normal.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:28:17 pm by epicfatigue »

CpCaveman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2018, 11:43:05 am
  • Contains 0% horsemeat , may contain BULL though :)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 03:03:24 am »
No offense meant, but.. FIRST arcade build my arse :)
Hit something hard enough it should work, if it dont the result can always be called art :)

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:03 am »
No offense meant, but.. FIRST arcade build my arse :)

Thanks, ill take that as a compliment and that i am on the right track!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 04:02:26 am »
Welcome to this small part of the webiverse. As someone else once sung " You can go big or you can go home".  In your case sir you are definitely going for big on a first build.  I have nothing but admiration for your work,  a watercooled 5Ghz for the arcade, Now that's future proofing.  I am guessing you are very comfortable around electronics  :lol :lol

Have you got any plans for a theme on the machine?  Does the cabinet need much remedial work?

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:23:12 am »
Welcome to this small part of the webiverse. As someone else once sung " You can go big or you can go home".  In your case sir you are definitely going for big on a first build.  I have nothing but admiration for your work,  a watercooled 5Ghz for the arcade, Now that's future proofing.  I am guessing you are very comfortable around electronics  :lol :lol

Have you got any plans for a theme on the machine?  Does the cabinet need much remedial work?

Hey thanks for your kind words, the cabinet has some damaged corners and the typical bad spelling etched in the side of it etc etc.

When i am ready i will use a heat gun to strip machine sand it back, and fill all the imperfections.
The biggest issue is the Control panel.

It has had so many holes drilled in it during its life there is not much left to work with i have plexi glass ontop of it and a back plate as a temp option till i work out what to do there.

Tomorrow i will upload some pictures to show that part of the machine.

In terms of artwork i am torn with doing something classic or maybe going for an post apocalyptic scene.
I had a guy draft up some things but he has vanished not sure what happened there.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:16:09 pm
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 04:52:55 pm »
Wow!  Very impressive!   :cheers:

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 06:32:59 pm »

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:08 pm »
So this is the largest hurdle i have to get over, the control panel....

From the first picture before i touched it it looked pretty good, well i was in for a surprise when i lifted the plexi and the sticker!
most of the CP metal is gone, i am either left with the options of cutting it right out and getting a new part welded in, or getting a whole new one made.

So as a temp solution i created a back plate
This goes underneath the panel as there is still structurally enough to give the panel  overall support.
As a temp solution i have used Black Plexi until my artwork is done so it doesn't look like a complete mess!

A Part of me wants to make the control larger but i want to keep the outside as original as possible

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 06:49:37 pm »
quality  ;D

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
Now i like things to be looking perfect, i know thus far it doesn't look that way, but i have learn t over the years that i will always change  something a million times before i have it the way i want it.

That is why i have taken the approach of getting it up and running and ironing out all the faults.

However the first thing i wanted was a modulated Control Panel, i wanted to be able to fully remove it if needed.
As later down the track i may think about building a bolt on Steering wheel etc etc

Now once i am finished i plan to have all of my cables soldered (I am not a connection man hate the stuff)
Then i will sleeve all cables to go with the appropriate theme inside, as i want this thing to look as good in as it does on the outside!

So this means i will have to modulate the IPAC as i would like to house this inside the machine as i dont wont it to be knocked or damaged.
I will paint the unit when i have settled on the look for the inside but i can not do that untill i know whats happening on the outside!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:57:12 pm by epicfatigue »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »
Over the top but great start.   If you cannot run it please tell us and we will give up on the game for 2 or 3 years.  Looks great so far.  Remember to give the cab some of the same love you gave your computer so it will really shine.

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 08:02:09 pm »
I have a watercooled/ overclocked system in my mk2 cab and if I can make a suggestion to you: decase the computer. It'll help the whole system stay cool and it doesn't need to sit inside of a case, inside of a cabinet. Just pull all the parts and mount them onto a board for nice airflow.

PS looks awesome. Good job  :cheers:

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:42:42 pm »
I have a watercooled/ overclocked system in my mk2 cab and if I can make a suggestion to you: decase the computer. It'll help the whole system stay cool and it doesn't need to sit inside of a case, inside of a cabinet. Just pull all the parts and mount them onto a board for nice airflow.

PS looks awesome. Good job  :cheers:

Hey thanks for that, unfortunately i can not decase this system it would die, i did originally try this and the issue is since its a x48 chipset they run very hot (hence the massive cooler on NB)
I will either buy a very nice corsair case, or i will create my own as i will require a large amount of static pressure to ensure a decent amount of airflow through the system

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:59 am »
So i have never been happy with the temps on the factory Overclocked HD4890 and it has always generated alot of noise.
The fact i want this machine to keep on ticking over for at least 8 years (the pc)  i needed to address this issue.

The main issue i was having was the VRM temps, after pulling it apart i quickly discovered why.

For some silly reason this model either didnt come with cooling and relied on airflow... or some nub took them of at some point in the cards life.
This was quickly addressed like so
One

Two

And Three :)

I am currently running in the thermal compounds i will put it to the test shortly and see how it goes
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:54:18 am by epicfatigue »

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:58 am »
You've added a boat load of complexity there you didn't need and I love it.  The spirit of this site for me is building something you envision and want to be challenged by and you have done that here.  Great job so far!  Keep on pushing!

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:53 am »
Stunt Race FX.  Nice.

dandro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2014, 12:32:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Link To project
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:55 am »
is that a "555 Timer" book under that thing???  :)

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 12:02:34 pm »
Probably one of those "cookbooks" with a thousand different application for one.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »
You've added a boat load of complexity there you didn't need and I love it.  The spirit of this site for me is building something you envision and want to be challenged by and you have done that here.  Great job so far!  Keep on pushing!

Thanks Mate, i can not wait till i have the internals sorted out the real joy for me is going to be completing the outside!
I plan to spend more time on that then anything else.
Stunt Race FX.  Nice.

Yeah there is about 100 carts behind that one, i collect all things retro, and the rare games i can not get i make myself and install them into silly horse racing carts.

is that a "555 Timer" book under that thing???  :)

Yes it most certainly is, i needed to understand exactly how the IC operated to create the KVM and also the Namco rapid fire.

Probably one of those "cookbooks" with a thousand different application for one.
Right you are Sir :)

Thanks all for the feed back and comments guys, makes me want to push on and keep this thing going.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 06:30:54 pm »
And here is the moment of truth.

I bench marked the cards, the top temperature set is with the Original HSF and the below is with passive cooling.
Note i have not added a fan yet this should decrease the temps by at least 10-18 deg!

I am still not happy with my VRM temps they are good but i want perfect, the glue that came with the chips is nasty as all hell.
I Will Glue them on with a special Epoxy when i install it into its final resting place :)

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 06:44:18 pm »
the rare games i can not get i make myself and install them into silly horse racing carts.

Talking repros?  That's cool.  I got a ROM burner last fall to put some fan-translated and bug-patched ROM's in a Final Fantasy IV Super Famicom cart.  English FFII for SNES is cheap, but the original translation wasn't so great and they made the game too easy.

That's the only one I've done so far, but I have a big to do list, like MUSHA and Little Samson/Lickle and such.  Have you done any that were particularly tricky?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:45:55 pm by rCadeGaming »

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
Talking repros?  That's cool.  I got a ROM burner last fall to put some fan-translated and bug-patched ROM's in a Final Fantasy IV Super Famicom cart.  English FFII for SNES is cheap, but the original translation wasn't so great and they made the game too easy.

That's the only one I've done so far, but I have a big to do list, like MUSHA and Little Samson/Lickle and such.  Have you done any that were particularly tricky?

Hey This is how i do mine.
I have not found any to be overly hard, it all comes down to the equipment you have, i own a EMC rework station so dealing with SMD Chips is easy as, heat remove replace etc.
Its like anything if you read enough about something its nice and easy, i have always been a fast learner and not afraid to give it a crack, i also etch circuit baords etc etc.
Drop me a pm sometime if you get stuck.

rCadeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Just call me Rob!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 08:57:18 pm »
I just used some ROM chips that were the same physical size as the originals.  I fixed the pinout at the board by cutting traces and moving things around with small wire-wrap connections.  I haven't seen anything hard yet, but I've only looked over my planned Super Nintendo projects.  I hear NES is a little more complicated.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 08:40:41 am »
For all the people out there that wanted this.

All in one pcb has recoil and rapid fire.

Very small will mount under the soliniod just wire in

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »
Did you change your design?  I'm just comparing the png to the hand drawn schematic and T2 changed.  Is T1 still the same?
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:47 pm »
same design the they just didnt have the same transistor i used in the program i etched it with

mitsurugi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2020, 01:46:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 05:25:47 am »
will you sell this pcb?
Thanks.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 06:22:07 am »
pm me, iv made over 10 so far for people that didnt want to build it themselves.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 06:55:36 am »
I am very impressed! Nice work.
Just put a rotating monitor on it and it will be perfect.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 06:58:10 am »
i want to do that so bad!

I am yet to see any good posts on how to make one to get some ideas flowing.
If  i could find some good material i would attempt it!