Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2018  (Read 130212 times)

-lux-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2018
« Reply #760 on: September 17, 2018, 08:05:07 am »
@terranigma: Hi! I'm really interested on Alpine linux solution you just described.
I'm planning to try it soon, so I'd like to ask you a few questions (sorry if this is not the most appropriate place, but maybe there are others interested on):
  • wich emulationstation version do I need to use? Debian based?
  • there's a way to *hide* linux and to have the computer start direcly in ES?
Thanks in advance

terranigma

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2018, 02:49:18 pm »
@terranigma: Hi! I'm really interested on Alpine linux solution you just described.
I'm planning to try it soon, so I'd like to ask you a few questions (sorry if this is not the most appropriate place, but maybe there are others interested on):
  • wich emulationstation version do I need to use? Debian based?
  • there's a way to *hide* linux and to have the computer start direcly in ES?
Thanks in advance

Alpine Linux is not a debian based distro. It is independent. You can install ES along with its dependencies with "apk" package manager.

Code: [Select]
apk add emulationstation emulationstation-theme-gbz35
then

Code: [Select]
apk add mame
if you prefer arcade-only setup, I suggest you to install mame-arcade package instead of "mame" which is bigger in size.
There are many ways to directly launch emulationstation after boot but I think here is not a right place discuss this. YBy saying that, you must also have  a degree of experience on Linux.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:54:01 pm by terranigma »

-lux-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #762 on: October 01, 2018, 07:21:35 am »
Thanks for aswering. I'll give it a try  :)

vaporwaven

• Offline Offline
« Reply #763 on: October 09, 2018, 11:59:56 am »
Hello, I am having an issue with the newest version of groovy arcade arch, in wich the whole frontend, gasetup included is double scanned and boucing/tearing on my Sony 2530 pvm. Running a game or rom runs fine on the tv, but the front end and gasetup screens are like this. I am using a gtx 650 for a video card. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

bjt42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #764 on: December 03, 2018, 05:14:02 am »
I have noticed that you are using kernel 4.15.7. From 4.14.x onward, I am experiencing video playback issue with the AMD radeon driver.

I'm also experiencing this issue with the 2018 live CD. Lockup when playing video in AttractMode basic layout and screensaver. I also saw some lockups when traversing AttractMode menus but unsure if they are caused by the same problem.

I installed the 2017 live CD instead which has an earlier kernel and isn't affected. I was able to use the GroovyMame 195 from the 2018 CD after upgrading glibc and a few other libraries.

bjt42

• Offline Offline
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2017
« Reply #765 on: December 03, 2018, 05:29:09 am »
Hello,

I have a new GA version(only for test)

-Experimental Fix Vertical interlaces games [by Doozer]

Would it be possible to get this fix as a standalone patch file? I would like to apply it to the 2017 live CD, as the 2018 version has another issue with freezing during video playback.

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
Re: GroovyArcade live-CD New Release 2017
« Reply #766 on: December 04, 2018, 02:58:20 pm »
Would it be possible to get this fix as a standalone patch file? I would like to apply it to the 2017 live CD, as the 2018 version has another issue with freezing during video playback.

I have answered your PM and provided you with the diff to fix interlaced content.

Just to push bit further the investigation of video playback issue. Playing video using ffplay will also freeze after few dozen of seconds. Are you in a position to confirm this?

bjt42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #767 on: December 05, 2018, 05:53:34 am »
Thank you, I will report back once I have built and tested a kernel.
I have not tested ffmpeg, only software decoding within AttractMode. Will let you know if I get a chance to try ffmpeg with the 2018 CD.

bjt42

• Offline Offline
« Reply #768 on: December 06, 2018, 04:37:10 am »
Doozer's patch solved this problem for me, running a 5450. Here is a 4.10.11 kernel compiled with the 15khz patches and this interlaced vblank fix. It matches the kernel supplied with the 2017 live CD and doesn't suffer from the video playback freezing seen in later kernels.

linux-custom-4.10.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i3guHlHfWPNrEhwlz6XF2Xs9Ut9-DUmf
linux-custom-headers-4.10.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19hxL-5RAmNwprpk6ItMDc3A-SegFrit5

Install as root as follows:

pacman -U linux-custom-headers-4.10.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
pacman -U linux-custom-4.10.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Then modify /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg to point towards the linux-custom kernel and initrd.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31