Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica (Finished)  (Read 263433 times)

sandheaver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:04 am »
RidicRick already has the art files if you want them.  You don't need to recreate them.

BUCKETHEAD

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2013, 06:26:07 pm »
Yes, After watching these latest video's you guys have been posting.
Ralph is hauling ass back and forth.
Felix also has more pep in his step.

Especially when he eats the pie!  Lol.

Also noticed that Felix turns his head and looks at the NiceLanders when they come out on the roof top.
Then turns it back where it was, When Ralph gets thrown off the roof top during the animation sequence.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:46:35 pm by BUCKETHEAD »

mkregar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2013, 09:23:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2013, 02:54:31 am »
Hi, Starting to build a Fix It Felix Jr. Arcade Cabinet From SCRATCH...very hard... and wondering if i could by any chance get the game to go with the cabinet? please and thank you.

snyggahelios

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 03:42:35 am
  • Blasteroids MA cabinet
« Reply #443 on: March 20, 2013, 03:08:50 am »
Just a little observation, sometimes the pile of bricks lands in areas that makes it impossible to continue. For instance, Felix stands under a row of four flower boxes, only one gap to the right. Over the gap is another flower box. So no problem just jump up the gap and walk left, but then the pile of bricks falls down and lands and blocks the left passage way. Only way out is to restart the game or kill Felix.

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #444 on: March 20, 2013, 03:28:54 am »
Just a little observation, sometimes the pile of bricks lands in areas that makes it impossible to continue. For instance, Felix stands under a row of four flower boxes, only one gap to the right. Over the gap is another flower box. So no problem just jump up the gap and walk left, but then the pile of bricks falls down and lands and blocks the left passage way. Only way out is to restart the game or kill Felix.

Can't you just jump over the pile of bricks using the jump button? Can you maybe make a small drawing?

mkregar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2013, 09:23:00 pm
« Reply #445 on: March 20, 2013, 03:37:02 am »
sorry, i said starting... meant started... my bad

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #446 on: March 20, 2013, 04:13:17 am »
Some news on the other version of Fix It Felix Jr.

Over on the hyperspin forums BadBoyBill has finished his copy of the game Fix It Felix. BadBoyBill is the owner of the forums and also the creator of Hyperspin, so you know his copy of the game is a good one.

I'm not sure if he is distributing the game, but he has given a copy of the game to at least one person, so I guess there is no harm in asking him.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:22:31 am by Sjaak »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2013, 07:16:06 am »
I thought the movement was a little hurried by both characters.  I also noticed, and it may be just me, :dunno that Felix tends to stick just slightly walking between windows.  He goes again as soon as I lift up the arrow key to move him.  Happens in both directions.  Any reason the extra lives were changed from large to small heads?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:19:01 am by jdbailey1206 »

snyggahelios

• Offline Offline
  • Blasteroids MA cabinet
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2013, 07:43:29 am »

Can't you just jump over the pile of bricks using the jump button? Can you maybe make a small drawing?

No I have not been successfull with that. Have done a drawin in paint  ::)

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23:12 am »

No I have not been successfull with that. Have done a drawin in paint  ::)

You should use the jump button (next to the fix button) to jump left or right. This is different from moving the joystick up, which will move you to another floor

snyggahelios

• Offline Offline
  • Blasteroids MA cabinet
« Reply #450 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:24 am »
Yeah.. that button and me don't work so good. Felix seems to jump how he likes, it's working when it wants. Sometimes Felix jumps in a direction but mostly he just jumps up when I press the jump button.  :dunno

pinballsmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 01:52:02 pm
« Reply #451 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:12 am »
Man, I can't seem to get on the bandwagon regarding any of these Fix it Felix Jr. projects. Despite that, I love the work being done here and all the attention to detail every aspect to perfection.

SpongeFreak52

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 03:40:02 pm
« Reply #452 on: March 20, 2013, 09:40:21 am »
The Jump button's functionality definitely feels a bit different between the official game and the beta. I wish I had gotten some video regarding it (wasn't able to head over there yesterday afternoon), but it did feel like there was a larger timing window to perform it. (Which confuses me looking back since Felix's movement is the same, if not quicker than the beta) AFAIK there was only one time for me where use of the button was required in the arcade version, pictured below (the very right window on Felix's level was the broken one). Never came across the situation you've drawn out.

I'm don't think that you're able to jump from the right of one window to the left of another (and vice versa) as in the beta, and I guess there really wouldn't be a time where doing that is necessary.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:42:33 am by SpongeFreak52 »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #453 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:21 am »
The Jump button's functionality definitely feels a bit different between the official game and the beta. I wish I had gotten some video regarding it (wasn't able to head over there yesterday afternoon), but it did feel like there was a larger timing window to perform it. (Which confuses me looking back since Felix's movement is the same, if not quicker than the beta) AFAIK there was only one time for me where use of the button was required in the arcade version, pictured below (the very right window on Felix's level was the broken one). Never came across the situation you've drawn out.

I'm don't think that you're able to jump from the right of one window to the left of another (and vice versa) as in the beta, and I guess there really wouldn't be a time where doing that is necessary.

Yeah, I really need some input on the jump button. In the beta, you press left or right and then quickly press the jump button. If you press jump before Felix is moving, he just jumps up. But it's hard that way to make a jump.

SpongeFreak52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #454 on: March 20, 2013, 09:58:39 am »
Yeah, I really need some input on the jump button. In the beta, you press left or right and then quickly press the jump button. If you press jump before Felix is moving, he just jumps up. But it's hard that way to make a jump.
If I get free time between now and Saturday I'll try to make a stop and figure out how it's supposed to work.

snyggahelios

• Offline Offline
  • Blasteroids MA cabinet
« Reply #455 on: March 20, 2013, 12:57:22 pm »
One thing that I have tested several times is to have a pile of bricks in the middle of two windows to the far right, stand as far to the right as possible and jump up next to the pile. Instant death without even touching the pile. Even as Super Felix the pile kills him by doing this.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #456 on: March 20, 2013, 01:02:23 pm »
One thing that I have tested several times is to have a pile of bricks in the middle of two windows to the far right, stand as far to the right as possible and jump up next to the pile. Instant death without even touching the pile. Even as Super Felix the pile kills him by doing this.

That could be a bug, I'll get on that.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #457 on: March 20, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »
Once I jumped over a stack of bricks and hit a bird at the same time.  I died and floated there with the death wiggle going on.  Haven't had time to try and recreate but thought I'd mention it.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 09:33:46 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #458 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »
Found a difficult situation to get past! First time this has happened and I've played it quite a few, but a level started with flower boxes completely covering one floor making it impossible to go up higher. I'll post a screenshot.

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #459 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:33 pm »
Loving the High Score Entry Screen.
Even though i messed up my initials!

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2017, 04:39:28 am
  • End of Line
« Reply #460 on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:41 am »
Just played the latest version.  Absolutely fantastic work, Sjaak!! :D

So I noticed a couple of things that need to be done but I'm sure you're already aware of them:

* Felix always starts by jumping to the bottom right window at the start of the upper level.
* Felix's lives go from right to left, for example, if I have four lives, the icons would be drawn like, 4, 3, 2, 1.  So if I lose a life, Then it becomes 3, 2, 1 with the last life symbol (1) being the closest to the right side of the screen.
* Felix's button jump should be higher.  The top of his head should reach the middle of the lower glass panel above him.  I think this only applies to when he jumps straight up.

* Felix should only jump once even when the jump button's held down.
* The bricks bounce up and flash on and off once they hit the ground.  When they hit the ground again the second time, they disappear completely. The bounce and flashing should only take half of second and there's only one visible bounce.
* I could be wrong, but I think there is a pattern in the actual game where the flower boxes and boulders are suppose to go instead of being random.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:15:49 am by mrsinistar »

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • End of Line
« Reply #461 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:01 am »
Also, when Felix moves between windows horizonally, he jumps very briefly but only goes up a few pixels in height.  The speed where he moves between windows is perfect, so this is just purely visual.

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2013, 08:55:56 pm
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2013, 04:00:46 am »
Well now that I have the Blu-Ray and DVD, I can use Rewards points to enter that contest a bunch more times, as well as watch this DVD menu loop that's a demo of another unplayable version of Fix-It Felix, Jr.!

This one is from 1981, where there are six floors to play on, Ralph is scaled up way too big, Felix can vary his speed greatly and stand on the big ledges instead of the windowsills if he wants, Nicelanders slink around and slide windows smoothly, and bulldozers continue to clean up bricks which I thought had disappeared on their own.  We can totally use this video as a reference!   :D

But more seriously, are we still in need of the graphics of the medal at the two smaller sizes?  I could try to copy them from frames of the film in HD.  What makes it tricky is that I know there are two shades of gold from unfiltered versions of the large medal graphic, but it's hard to tell them apart through the CRT filter.

First thing is that Felix's speed seems to increase dramatically in terms of both side-to-side movement and jumping/falling after he's eaten a pie.
What about fixing speed, that is, hammer-swinging duration?

You can also see in that video that it's possible to jump while on the highest platform, overlapping Ralph but not taking damage from him.
That's cool.  But are you pressing Jump to do this, or are you pushing the joystick up?  Felix seems to be jumping very high there.

Ralph movement:

This video has got me wondering, what happens if you leave a pie alone for a very long time, like over a minute or two?  This would help confirm that Ralph only does his hyper-punch routine in reaction to picking up the pie, not coincidental timing to when it's presented.  I think only the second smartphone version makes the pies disappear after some time, but it would be nice to make sure.  It would also be nice to be sure whether you ever receive multiple pies as in early levels of the first Flash version, or if you ever see "fake-out" Nicelanders who don't give pies as in later levels of the Flash version.

I've seen that while the Flash version has rules against pies coming from broken windows or bricks breaking the remainders of half-broken windows (which you can use to help keep Ralph from snatching away your victory in the timed version), the others have no such rules.  Having the other pane broken in a window in the arcade version would seem to be bad for your final score if the claim is true that Ralph's bricks can only break a finite number of additional windows per level, since you receive the same number of points for fixing two panes as for fixing one.  This leads me to believe that the best way to maximize the score is to attend to all the singly-broken windows as quickly as possible, then just leave one doubly-broken window for as long as you can, preferably in a bottom corner to minimize the risk of a brick "deciding" it wants to break something at a certain time but passing an already broken window and forfeiting the chance, if that's how the luck works.  Yeah, that's the thing in the end, you're never going to get the randomly chosen stuff exactly the same as the original without seeing the code, only your best guesstimate.

Found a difficult situation to get past! First time this has happened and I've played it quite a few, but a level started with flower boxes completely covering one floor making it impossible to go up higher. I'll post a screenshot.
Heh. The smartphone version does this on purpose in the very early levels to give you less to do, with closed/unbreakable windows above the cover of course.  I've noticed the Flash version uses up to a certain number of each kind of blocker depending on how high up the building you are, and it must have to determine if those blockers would form a closed square, or a U shape against a side, or an L shape around a corner, and toss out one of the blockers in those events.

Say, can anyone with a lot of free time find out the true extra life limit of the arcade version?  I heard that the game only shows six heads, yet you could have more invisibly.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:17 am »
For those who want to try, there is a version with a pixel shader that will make the game look like crap ;D No guarantees it will work on all hardware.

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #464 on: March 21, 2013, 09:21:23 am »
Sjaak, you think it looks like crap?
I think it looks pretty good.

Steve B.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2017, 10:32:41 am
« Reply #465 on: March 21, 2013, 11:38:05 am »
A very cool update. I like the option of having scan lines.

Just noticed something. I was just watching the video of the arcade version and it looks like that, most of the time, ralph sends down 4 bricks at a time just like in your beta. But they also mix it up by sending down 3 or 5 bricks.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2014, 10:53:54 pm
  • Always Learning
« Reply #466 on: March 21, 2013, 02:34:05 pm »
the filter version looks amazing, and works very well.  :applaud:

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • End of Line
« Reply #467 on: March 21, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »
Uploaded some new sound effects!  They're located in the mistersinistar folder.

The new sound effects are:

fifjr_beep (Invincible Timer Beep)
fifjr_fix (Fix sound effect)
fifjr_high_score (High Score music screen)
fifjr_hit (Flowerpot hit)
fifjr_pie_final (NEW Pie sound effect that's much more accurate)

Enjoy!!

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #468 on: March 21, 2013, 05:41:05 pm »
Sjaak,

The scan lines are a KEEPER!
Awesome indeed.
Can they be added to the .ini ??

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #469 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:55 pm »
I agree with Buckethead, the pixel shader is pretty cool. Having it as an option in ini would be even cooler.

Only thing I noticed was in that version the life counter was missing. Otherwise seemed to run good.

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #470 on: March 21, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »
I agree with Buckethead, the pixel shader is pretty cool. Having it as an option in ini would be even cooler.

Only thing I noticed was in that version the life counter was missing. Otherwise seemed to run good.

Yes i noticed the life counter was missing also.
And i believe? The pile of bricks was already there?
They didn't fall down. Looked like they were always in the same place everytime.
Other than that, Everything seems spot on.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »
For me the bricks definitely fell like they're supposed to, but yes they did always seem to fall in the same spot. I can't remember if it was like that in previous versions though. Never really noticed until you mentioned it.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #472 on: March 21, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »
Played the "shaded" version.  Went full screen but it cut off the bottom row of windows.  For me the shaded version isn't necessary. 

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #473 on: March 21, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »
Played the "shaded" version.  Went full screen but it cut off the bottom row of windows.  For me the shaded version isn't necessary.

Probably just needed to change your Width=
Height= in the .ini

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • End of Line
« Reply #474 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »
A couple more things I noticed to improve.  I noticed that there's some pixels missing when Felix does his fix animation.  He should have some diagonal white lines next to the hammer.  I'll upload a video where you can see it for yourself.

Also, the collision detection should be improved for Felix since sometimes the bricks can hit your arm and you're unaffected but if the brick hits you squarely on the head, you will lose a life.

Looking absolutely great, Sjaak!!

Flappz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2013, 06:42:37 am
  • My 6 Year Old Plays ATARI BITCHEZ!
« Reply #475 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:23 pm »
My Lil Lady Would Love This!!!
It Looks Amazing!
Phil

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • End of Line
« Reply #476 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:58 pm »
BTW, Bag of Magic Food, thanks so much for that papercraft post on Hyperspin...that's gonna help me out greatly for the side art vectorizing. :D

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #477 on: March 21, 2013, 08:43:07 pm »
2 things i noticed about Felix, 1 i have already mentioned.
Maybe you didn't see it Sjaak.

1. l noticed that Felix turns his head and looks at the NiceLanders when they come out on the roof top.
    Then turns it back where it was, When Ralph gets thrown off the roof top during the animation sequence.

2.  Felix" legs taper down to his boots in the death animation
     Like in the picture below (Bag of Magic Food) pic
     Felix" legs in the current death animation are straight.

This is a great and incredible job Sjaak!
Keep it up!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:45:21 pm by BUCKETHEAD »

SpongeFreak52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #478 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:57 pm »
Alright, several more observations!

-Selectable characters for high score initials are correct as-is: A-Z, 0-9, along with . and (space).

-"Recreated_Sound18.mp3", aka "dont_know_what_this_sound_is.mp3" is the sound that plays when Felix loses a life (hit by a brick or bird/runs into bricks). It also plays alongside the death sound when the final life is lost.

-Super Felix lasts for about half a second after the "beep" noises end. As for the sound itself, it's less of a "beep" and more of a "blip". The best way I can describe it is a higher pitched note from the "fifjr_second_floor" that mistersinistar made.

-Being Super Felix does NOT seem to increase the speed of fixing, just moving from window to window.

-Flower pots are placed randomly. After playing a few more rounds there did not seem to be a definite pattern to their arrangement.

-When Felix moves up to a level that is below a flower pot, Felix's head will hit that overhead pot and trigger the sound. This is interesting because if you move up to a level below a pile of bricks, Felix doesn't hit those.

-Birds from higher floors (level 3 and beyond) begin to scroll across the screen right after the current floor is finished and the transition to the next starts.

-I tried fiddling with the Jump button, and Felix can jump during MOST of the transition between the two windows. Even on the actual machines it can be tricky to execute, so I'd dare to say it's fairly accurate as-is.

-Lives DO continue to add (though not visibly) after the sixth head is displayed. Not sure if there's a limit, but I reached at least 9 at one point. The heads are indeed right-justified, appearing more inward as they are earned.

I also did some playing around with Two Player mode to see if there was anything different in terms of gameplay. First off, the introduction plays for both players (somewhat annoying and lengthy). Players swap out only when the previous player has died, and of course progress made on a level is saved for when the player resumes next. Only visible difference during gameplay is the swapping between 1UP/2UP in the top left corner. I recorded a playthrough, meh as the lighting may be. (YouTube is processing the rotation so it may still be sideways)

During the "PLAYER X READY" screen, a new(?) sound effect plays. Here is a recording from the speaker (I have also placed a copy in the Dropbox):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88354667/fif_playertransition.mp3

Now something I hadn't noticed that I'm not certain has been brought up is the middle position on windows that Felix can reach via jumping. This is necessary for situations where piles of bricks are dropped side-by-side. It can ONLY be achieved through jumping, and does not provide protection from bricks that would fall and hit Felix on either the left or right side of the window.

After losing a life, Felix will appear on the bottom window of the column he died on, in the CENTER position. This is unlike the level entry, when Felix jumps on the right side of the right-most bottom window.

--> Necessary for -->

Also, I did run into a minor visual glitch where a Nicelander began to leave a pie in the window right as Felix was fixing it. The sprite continued to appear in front of the solid white of the fixed window, followed by that of the pie. It really doesn't affect anything, other than the fact that you don't have to repair the window you get the pie from.

Finally, a video of the attract loop. Again I wish I had a camera that adjusted well in shifting lighting, but if anything it could be useful for timing purposes.

(Video may be processing for a bit)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:36:53 am by SpongeFreak52 »

sandheaver

« Reply #479 on: March 21, 2013, 10:59:14 pm »
What are you guys using to create the game?

It's just one guy making the game; there are some contributing art, but just sjaak is assembling it and distributing it to his testers.

As I recall, he's using C# and XNA framework to create the game.

The game will not be released when he's done.