Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica (Finished)  (Read 263196 times)

BUCKETHEAD

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
Re: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2013, 07:32:27 am »
I was going to try and beat the highscore but got bored.

Not me brother! I am loving this! been playing all weekend.
It will become even better when the Flower Baskets, Shutters, Block Piles, Pies and Ducks get in there!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2024, 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2013, 11:18:29 am »
I was going to try and beat the highscore but got bored.

Not me brother! I am loving this! been playing all weekend.
It will become even better when the Flower Baskets, Shutters, Block Piles, Pies and Ducks get in there!

it is really fun, even in its basic form, but the high score should be 10 or 20 thousand not 100,000
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

collectorvision

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2013, 07:31:42 pm
  • Love Arcades!
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2013, 11:37:57 am »
I would LOVE to contribute to this project as I really l enjoy Fix it Felix
I already have all artworks printed (thanks to RidicRick) , I was just waiting for the game to come out before building the cab

For some reasons, I can't send any PM yet...  Looks like cause I'm new here  :(
I tried to search for any informations regarding this, but could not find any...

Any help would be welcomed  :)

Thanks guys

Sjaak, If you read this, you can contact me directly, thanks

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:46:22 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2013, 11:52:32 am »
I was just waiting for the game to come out before building the cab

If you want to play the game on your pc, just go to the disney site and play the flash version, don't bother following this thread, because there will never be a downloadable version of the game.

Scott

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:33:46 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
Gotta say is this is awesome. Running with a vertical monitor at 1200x1600 resolution, looks and plays great. Great work Sjaak

SamLL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2013, 11:05:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2013, 01:22:47 pm »
If you want to play the game on your pc, just go to the disney site and play the flash version, don't bother following this thread, because there will never be a downloadable version of the game.

I am not a lawyer, but I think you are perhaps setting yourself up to get in a great deal more trouble in your current position, where you are only providing the game to people who have paid you money - i.e., profiting off your use of Disney's IP - than if you were distributing it free of charge to any other hobbyist.

srarcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2018, 03:16:29 pm
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:38 pm »
I am not a lawyer, but I think you are perhaps setting yourself up to get in a great deal more trouble in your current position, where you are only providing the game to people who have paid you money - i.e., profiting off your use of Disney's IP - than if you were distributing it free of charge to any other hobbyist.

I agree. I'm not a lawyer either but it seems if something is open source it's a bit more difficult to put legal action on it when its owned by an entire community. There's lots of simulator games out there that have worked in the past like this where they just changed the name of the game. Reminds me to back when DDR was extremely popular 12 years ago and there was a DDR sim on the PC that was a perfect replica of the arcade and console games yet had a different name, i think that whole project ran without a hitch from Konami, and that was a big money maker for them.

On another note- I live only about 20 minutes from DisneyQuest where they have 9 FIFJ cabs running so if you need any pictures or video let me know.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2013, 01:41:38 pm »
He has not taken a SINGLE PENNY for the game. All monies were used for his cab, not the game. To show gratitude for helping with his project he's letting people play his private game at no cost.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 07:38:23 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »
He has not taken a SINGLE PENNY for the game. All monies were used for his cab, not the game. To show gratitude for helping with his project he's letting people play his private game at no cost.

I don't think this is in any danger of litigation.  I also don't think that $25 to keep Sjaak programing in his spare time is a bad deal, but I do think the above argument is bogus.  Nobody is donating so they can watch Sjaak build a FiFJ cab.  Everybody that has donated has access to the game in progress but we haven't seen pics of a cabinet and this is not a cabinet building thread.  Is there an issue in calling the kettle black here?  Worst case scenario is a C&D letter and this project instantly becomes Repair it Ramone.     

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »
Yes, Donations went towards cost of materials for the building of his replica cabinet.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »

The bold/underlined statement is not true.

srarcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
I understand any donations may have gone to materials for his cabinet- but Disney will not see it that way. A person can donate money and get access to a game with their intellectual property rights, quite black and white. I would hate to see this all come down on Sjaak in the end where he gets in trouble for it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2013, 03:19:46 pm »

I don't think this is in any danger of litigation.  I also don't think that $25 to keep Sjaak programing in his spare time is a bad deal, but I do think the above argument is bogus.  Nobody is donating so they can watch Sjaak build a FiFJ cab.  Everybody that has donated has access to the game in progress but we haven't seen pics of a cabinet and this is not a cabinet building thread.  Is there an issue in calling the kettle black here?  Worst case scenario is a C&D letter and this project instantly becomes Repair it Ramone.     

Then you are wrong, just like your sister. Once the cost of materials for the cab was filled he stopped taking donations , that or when people started signing up just to try to buy the game(AFAIK). and I donated to help him get his cab done, getting the game was a bonus (honestly Ive played less than 5 min of it, I'm waiting for the more difficult stuff to get put in AND I own the DS version). I donated to that guy who lost his wife, I donated to get Ken Layton internet access, I've given money at work for people who lost family, why cant I donate to Sjaak?

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:18 pm »
The level of drama building in this thread is getting unreasonable. Sjaak is a big boy and knows what he's doing, I don't think he needs any armchair quarterbacks (or IP lawyers in this case) rattling on about their assumptions and getting into a pissing contest over who's right on subjects I've yet to see anyone qualified enough to comment on with any authority.

Could we please respect the thread subject and concentrate on supporting the author with constructive feedback directed strictly to the development and testing of his project.

If you feel the need to wag your dick around and prove to the world how right you are about any other subject please go and buy a large soap box and stand on the street corner, rather than drag this excellent project down any more.

:dunno
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:28:31 pm by griffindodd »
I drink and I know things.

Nephasth

« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2013, 03:44:30 pm »
Fill this out, and we can get on with the progress.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 07:51:18 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »
I find this form works better:

Nephasth

« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:14 pm »
 :duckhunt

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 08:57:01 am
« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Those are awesome!

Out of curiousity, how did the new people who signed up just to post in this thread find out about it?
Was there an article out there somewhere about it?  Beta testers on youtube?

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2013, 03:54:52 pm »
Those are awesome!

Out of curiousity, how did the new people who signed up just to post in this thread find out about it?
Was there an article out there somewhere about it?  Beta testers on youtube?

Probably the Googles
I drink and I know things.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #259 on: February 18, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »
 :soapbox:

This is one of my gripes about the Internets. When some people don’t get what they want they become armchair lawyers, GPL enforcers, etc. Then they badger the developer until said developer quits.

Get over it people. It is his ball and he can invite whomever he wants to play.

I’m not one to bash posters based upon ‘newness’ but please try and understand the culture around here. We are a very supportive bunch, but we don’t respond well to idle threats or reverse-psychology rhetoric.

So stick around, read a few threads, ask a few questions. Get acclimated before you start making demands.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #260 on: February 18, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »
haven't seen pics of a cabinet and this is not a cabinet building thread.  Is there an issue in calling the kettle black here?  Worst case scenario is a C&D letter and this project instantly becomes Repair it Ramone.

Actually, I've started building the cabinet already! And LeChuck is right, worst case is a C&D and I'll rename the game. Can't put copyright on a generic platform game.

Regarding the beta test, I think I've got most platforms and hardware configurations covered, so I will not be needing more testers. Also I have enough contributions to build the cab and continue working on the software for a while.

So thank you all for your support. I will keep posting video's of the progress on the game, but all communications with the testers will be via email.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:28:17 pm by Sjaak »

mistersh0w

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2014, 12:59:14 pm
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »
:soapbox:

This is one of my gripes about the Internets. When some people don’t get what they want they become armchair lawyers, GPL enforcers, etc. Then they badger the developer until said developer quits.

Get over it people. It is his ball and he can invite whomever he wants to play.

I’m not one to bash posters based upon ‘newness’ but please try and understand the culture around here. We are a very supportive bunch, but we don’t respond well to idle threats or reverse-psychology rhetoric.

So stick around, read a few threads, ask a few questions. Get acclimated before you start making demands.

I'm a newb here and I joined to comment in this thread and show my support. I'm just a big fan of movies, classic arcade games and cabs/gaming in general and fully support indie game developers and creative types. I think what Sjaak is doing is amazing and just want to be a part of it. It sucks that a lot of people are "jumping in" and complaining about this and that, but I want you to know that I genuinely appreciate what you guys do here and just want to help out and support in any way that I can, from the perspective of a fan and collector. Just my 2cents.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:33:46 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:03 pm »
Cabinet is looking good. I've got a question for you since it looks like it's built from scratch and not modified from a Nintendo cab.

Did you use the plans on Jakobud for a Donkey Kong cabinet or do something different?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »
Cabinet is looking good. I've got a question for you since it looks like it's built from scratch and not modified from a Nintendo cab.

Did you use the plans on Jakobud for a Donkey Kong cabinet or do something different?

I used the plans on jakobud.com but also this thread: http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=783.0

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »
that looks TITS.

Big Fat Oprah TITS!

srarcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: February 18, 2013, 05:06:59 pm »
Looking really great so far!!

Is that blue paint or laminate?

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2013, 05:17:31 pm »
Your cab looks great so far Sjaak!
Do you plan to get the graphics from RidicRick?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2013, 07:02:51 pm »

Then you are wrong, just like your sister. Once the cost of materials for the cab was filled he stopped taking donations , that or when people started signing up just to try to buy the game(AFAIK). and I donated to help him get his cab done, getting the game was a bonus (honestly Ive played less than 5 min of it, I'm waiting for the more difficult stuff to get put in AND I own the DS version). I donated to that guy who lost his wife, I donated to get Ken Layton internet access, I've given money at work for people who lost family, why cant I donate to Sjaak?

Now that there are pics of the cab up (totally awesome by the way) I will gladly eat crow.  But Ginger, I don't think I ever said I had a problem with the donation, in fact, I believe I said the opposite.  I just questioned whether if it was for cab building or time spent hacking away on the ol' keyboard.

I thought that the paypal account for lcmgadgets wasn't set up yet so nobody could have donated.  Has there been an update?  I too pledged to donate. 

You leave the imp out of this, she is not to be invoked lightly...or did you mean hairbrush?  ;D

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2013, 07:22:45 pm »
Le Chuck,

If you go back to the 1st page of the thread.
Sjaak has a space that says (Reserved)
I believe this is going to be for the cab building posts/pix.  ( But i have been wrong before)

Also, He said that he was starting with the software before the cab.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2013, 07:48:28 pm »
Le Chuck,

If you go back to the 1st page of the thread.
Sjaak has a space that says (Reserved)
I believe this is going to be for the cab building posts/pix.  ( But i have been wrong before)

Also, He said that he was starting with the software before the cab.

Yeah, roger, again, I love this project and think Sjaak is doing a bang-up job.  I just had misunderstood what the donation was for:

Well, let's do a headcount. How many of you are interested in a clone of the Fix it Felix jr. game. And how many are still interested if they have to donate $25 (beforehand) for the time I will be spending on research?

But seriously, if there's enough interest and everyone makes a donation, I could certainly develop a pc version of the game.

rrcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 10:37:08 pm
« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:18 pm »
I'm sensing a Brian kuh/Billy Mitchell type man crush going on here. :laugh:

eaviii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 02:24:29 pm
  • I am the Bishop of Battle, master of all I survey.
    • Rogue Synapse
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2013, 06:55:18 am »
Finished my cab this weekend and update looking and playing great. Beautifully done sir! Thank you again for doing this.

Sjaak, your cab is stunning. I will repeat a question from above. Is it painted or laminate?

Doc

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:15 am »
Finished my cab this weekend and update looking and playing great. Beautifully done sir! Thank you again for doing this.

Sjaak, your cab is stunning. I will repeat a question from above. Is it painted or laminate?

Doc

It's paint. One layer of white ground, two layers of blue.

srarcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:59 am »
Really great paint job! Looks like laminate to me! Did you apply with roller? Spray? Any sanding?

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #274 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:34 pm »
Well done on the cabinet Sjaak.  :applaud:

ridicrick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2017, 08:47:51 pm
    • ArcadeSkin
« Reply #275 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:17 pm »
Cab is looking great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2013, 02:57:03 am »
Really great paint job! Looks like laminate to me! Did you apply with roller? Spray? Any sanding?

I used a roller. And there was a lot of sanding between layers...

mistersh0w

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2014, 12:59:14 pm
« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:18 am »

I used a roller. And there was a lot of sanding between layers...
My FIFJ replica cab has more of an "aqua(greenish)-blue" color, it was originally a popeye cab. All the Felix replica cabs I'm seeing have more of a dark blue thing going. Any thoughts on this?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2013, 10:15:29 am »
My FIFJ replica cab has more of an "aqua(greenish)-blue" color, it was originally a popeye cab. All the Felix replica cabs I'm seeing have more of a dark blue thing going. Any thoughts on this?

Originally this was going to be a DK cab, so I picked a color that came closest to the original color. I think the Disney cabs were originally DK cabs too.

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2013, 10:36:09 am »
Just noticed one thing in today's beta.  Felix doesn't swing his hammer unless he's in front of a broken window.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245