Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What version of PGA do you currently own?

PGA GOLF
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP I
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP II
3 (1.8%)
CHAMPIONSHIP III
20 (12.3%)
CHALLENGE
31 (19%)
TEAM CHALLENGE
54 (33.1%)
TEAM CHALLENGE w/ ALL ACCESS
28 (17.2%)
I DON'T OWN A VERSION BUT WOULD LIKE TO!
15 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread  (Read 538886 times)

boostinallovryou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #1240 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »
Making progress.  This was a test to 1) Determine how to update the boards.  2) Determine what the course to course number mapping is.  In this case St Andrews is course number 9.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2021, 10:51:34 am
« Reply #1241 on: October 21, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
Looking good!

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2023, 07:55:31 am
« Reply #1242 on: October 21, 2015, 05:56:42 pm »
Happy Days indeed. The legend is back!!  :applaud:

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1243 on: October 21, 2015, 07:33:13 pm »
I am very excited.  I was just able to successfully have my dev machine call into the dev server, and the server pushed the leaderboards to the machine.  I know this probably doesn't excite anybody else but me but I had to share as this is a big accomplishment.  There is a lot behind the scenes to make this happen and it just did.  So the next steps before deploying to everybody is:

1) Write code to parse all of your game play that is on the server and create the WT leader boards per course
2) Determine how to update the boards on the machine when someone overtakes another.  Basically how to invalidate an old entry and replace with new.

Once these two things are done it is time to deploy to the live server.  So for #1, just so you all know, every time your machine calls in to the server it transfers every game you have played since the last time the machine called in.  World Tour, regular strokes game, everything.  So when I get #1 and #2 done and your machine checks in you will see everybody else who has been calling in.  Then the real $hit talking can begin :-)

So close!!

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1244 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:25 pm »
Gonna be great to finally see my name on top of that ladder girls!! Ha ha ha I thought I'd start some $hit talking early Boost! :soapbox:

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1245 on: October 21, 2015, 08:38:49 pm »
In that case, you better work on your game. Because +9 ain't gonna cut it on the tour.

/had to be said

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1246 on: October 21, 2015, 08:50:45 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAH  I dig the $hit talking early.  Don't worry, the +9 wasn't a real score.  It was a marker I used to identify what course was what course number.  I'm afraid these little PGA computers can't hold a low score of mine.  I might just shoot so low I crash the machine.  :-)

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1247 on: October 21, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »
Hmmm. Might call shenanigans on the code!

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1248 on: October 21, 2015, 09:11:46 pm »
I KNEW that was going to come up sooner or later.  Ok, so I promise never to manipulate the code or the server for me or anybody else.  What you see is what you get straight from the game.  Having this server power comes with responsibility HAHAHAH

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1249 on: October 21, 2015, 11:01:10 pm »
Boost someone as smart or as nerdy as you surely isn't capable of playing good golf ha ha ha I'm happy to give you a few strokes handicap for all the hard work you are putting into all this mate! ;D

edowen55

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2016, 09:38:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1250 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:44 pm »
Do you all have your difficulties set to max, 5 if I recall?  Ive found it way too easy on any other setting. 

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1251 on: October 23, 2015, 01:05:25 am »
Yes I guess will have to decide what level everyone is playing on unless the leaderboard will determine the level you are playing on also?  I think mine are set to what ever the default is which I think is normal. But will check next time I play? 

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1252 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:21 pm »
You guys are correct.  I just looked at the database that has everybody's game results and when it comes to WT results, there is a difficulty value in a sub table.  Every entry for WT play has a difficulty level of 3.  I'm not sure if that is because all of you guys calling in have your machine set to 3, or when it comes to WT play the cabinet skill level doesn't take effect and the software dictates the level be 3.

We can test this theory if anybody wants to change their skill level, play a round of WT, and then have their machine call in.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1253 on: October 23, 2015, 02:22:38 pm »
My guess is WT is a set difficulty.  But its also very possible no one has changed the default.  I'll set mine to hardest tonight because I enjoy hurting myself and you can see what comes across.

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1254 on: October 23, 2015, 02:26:19 pm »
I agree, I believe WT has a set difficulty too.  The leaderboards do not have a distinction for difficulty, and trying to ensure N number of machines in the world are all set to WT 3 would be ridiculous.  Good to cover all bases.  Let me know when you are done hurting yourself and have called in.  No rush, plenty of code to write still and I can add that logic later if needed.

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1255 on: October 24, 2015, 04:43:31 am »
Played a few games on Pga today and the normal golf play allows you on the player select screen to change your difficulty setting by hitting the shot type button however on World Tour this is not an option. So I think your right boys the difficulty level must be locked in and any level chosen through the operator screens become null n void I guess and only come into effect during normal game play.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1256 on: October 24, 2015, 01:03:43 pm »
I set difficulty to 5 in operator mode then played world tour and made a manual connection to server after.

I'm thinking it has a set difficulty for world tour because the greens were still very flat.

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2017, 08:52:01 am
« Reply #1257 on: October 24, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »
Hey guys Im having trouble connecting to the server. Is there a way to manually unregister the cabinet through the operating system I dont have the unregister button in the register/connect screen it just wants me to restore cabinet registration or set time zone. Thanks

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1258 on: October 24, 2015, 06:27:31 pm »
Have you been able to connect prior to this happening?

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1259 on: October 24, 2015, 07:47:45 pm »
I had it connected once early in the process of the server going up. I forgot what happened but tried to connect again months later and this started. I have already re installed the software but it still gives me the same cabinet id number and the option to only restore cabinet registration.

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1260 on: October 25, 2015, 12:12:13 am »
Please clarify what's happening before you follow instructions below? What happens when your machine calls into the server? How far percentage wise do you get? And what error are you seeing? It may be something simple as below instructions will wipe past play and you start again from scratch.

Re run Boosts latest server patch available to make sure your machine is setup properly. Also make sure that your internet connection is still working properly. Do this first as my router needed to be powered off and on again as my internet connect had dropped out and I re ran the server patch first and lost all my scores I had as the server patch re assigns your machine a different online number and everything is lost. Once this is done you should be able to connect to the server without fail. The server patch does all the work!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:18:26 am by Spitfire »

Biglou27

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 07:37:59 pm
« Reply #1261 on: October 25, 2015, 01:07:26 am »
I hope boost joins the Facebook page .I so look forward to the leader boards working this will be so much fun for all of us

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1262 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:18 am »
The only 2 option I have on the connect screen are Restore cabinet registration and set  time zone. I cannot force call to the server. I hit restore cabinet registration and it says connecting goes to 5% stalls for a minute then jumps to 100% and says cabinet registration restored but log says the call failed.

bratwurst

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1263 on: October 25, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
What version are you running?

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1264 on: October 25, 2015, 10:57:57 am »
Team Challenge. So update... I uninstalled pga and ran restore disk. I reinstalled software and ran patcher. I still get the same options in connection. Tried restore cabinet registration and got same results goes to 5% pauses then shoots to 100% says successful restore but connection log says failed.

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1265 on: October 25, 2015, 05:33:58 pm »
I hope boost joins the Facebook page .I so look forward to the leader boards working this will be so much fun for all of us
I don't do the social media thing, but i do have a facebook account i use for lurking.  I've bookmarked the facebook group and will be looking around from time to time.  I really appreciate you taking the time to support the facebook group.  The more people that join the server the better.  Facebook reaches so many people its ridiculous.

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1266 on: October 25, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »
Just an update.  I've written the server code that takes all of the game results, parses the WT play, and updates the WT leaderboards.  I'm going to test the code by hand tonight.  After debugging and fixing any errors there is only one thing left to do.  I have to test multi row server to cabinet pushes.  I just have to get the format correct.  Then it's time to load onto the server.  So I'm thinking ill have everything done monday night.  Then I'll push and update the server tuesday morning.

Spitfire, you're always my debug guy.  Hoping tuesday you could call in and make sure the leaderboards work.  Especially since you are in AU.  I have special logic that keeps US, UK, and AU all on same page and playing together.

Guys, i always try to keep the server stable but there are lots of code changes here.  Please dont get upset if there is a bug of some kind and all of your scores are trashed.  Not that i anticipate that happening but just wanted to give the disclaimer.

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1267 on: October 25, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »
That's great news Boost. I will log in to the server each day this week and report back. Also Boost wouldn't be that bad if scores are lost just gives everyone and excuse to play more golf as I had happen to me when I couldn't get into server. I ran patcher again and re registered which lost all my previous scores. Realised the problem wasn't the server or my machine it was my router that needed a reboot as the Internet connection had dropped away. Hey Sherm very strange what your Pga is doing. If you are running the latest version of the patcher and especially after re installing the whole game you should be able to go through the whole registration process again as I explained that's what I had to do. Make sure your internet connection is working as the error your getting is what happened to me prior to me turning power off on my router leaving for 10 secs and then power up to restore your internet connection.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:18:44 pm by Spitfire »

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1268 on: October 26, 2015, 02:27:01 am »
Ok, all server database code has been debugged and tested.  Last step is to test multi row dataset pushes to the cabinet.  Should have this done today.  After that it's go time.

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1269 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:08 pm »
So I figured it out!! If anyone else ever runs into this problem of restore cabinet registration and it won't reregister these are the steps i did. I went to modem test in diagnostics on operator menu. Before i did the test i pulled the dongle out then did the test. The test came back failed and i finally had the option to register my cabinet because it saw it as unregistered. I then went to the connect screen did the registration steps and plugged the dongle back in before i hit connect and then bam connected to server. Man I am glad that headache is over.

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1270 on: October 26, 2015, 02:34:51 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, we have WT Leaderboards.  The following was taken after my dev machine called into my dev server.  This data is real game play but back from April.  Don't worry, the real server has all the latest scores.  I will upload the new code to the server tonight and update the database.  When your machine calls in you might see it take a bit of time at 48, 53, and 67%.  This is normal.  Should only take a minute or two.  Don't think the server wedged up and unplug your machine.  Just let it be.  I'll post again when the real server is updated and ready for you guys to call in.

edowen55

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1271 on: October 26, 2015, 03:07:52 pm »
Awesome Boost!  Can't wait, just say when...

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1272 on: October 26, 2015, 05:29:00 pm »
What great news to wake up to down under in Oz. Quick batman to the PGA Golf Machine ha ha ha

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1273 on: October 26, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »
That's what i'm saying, forget the newspaper, just punch up ArcadeControls.com for the latest news hahahahah.  Don't go to the PGA cave yet.  I won't be home from work for another 4.5 hours to update the server.  Trust me, i'm excited to make sure all goes smooth.  I'm not excited about playing yet, I'm excited to bring connectivity one step closer.  I have such plans like a web page to view each course and who the leaders are without being at a machine.  Of course though.......TOURNAMENTS :-)     Once step at a time hahahaha.

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1274 on: October 26, 2015, 05:37:35 pm »
Oh btw, the LONG term goal......add new courses.  Yep, it's possible.  The original software that made the courses is still available and it appears the game was written to accept new courses.  So it's possible to make a brand new course that has never been played on, and upload it to everyone's machine.  That is long away though.  Tournaments next after WT is smoothed out.

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1275 on: October 26, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »
Also card readers are still available from GlobalVR.  They are a bit pricey ($200) but still available.  Go to http://parts.globalvr.com/   select the game Need For Speed from right side, bottom of page click next 20 matches, and it's third from the top.

edowen55

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1276 on: October 26, 2015, 05:48:16 pm »
Oh btw, the LONG term goal......add new courses.  Yep, it's possible.  The original software that made the courses is still available and it appears the game was written to accept new courses.  So it's possible to make a brand new course that has never been played on, and upload it to everyone's machine.  That is long away though.  Tournaments next after WT is smoothed out.

How about adding a course that exists on Champ. III, but not on WT.  Pebble Beach anyone?

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1277 on: October 26, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »

How about adding a course that exists on Champ. III, but not on WT.  Pebble Beach anyone?

If the engine used for Champ III is the same as Team Challenge then the course should work.  It makes more sense to look at that first since it is a known working course.  I might not be able to ask for this but i'll do it anyways.....anybody have a champ III hard drive dump available?  PM me.

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1278 on: October 26, 2015, 06:47:44 pm »
I have a championship 3 hard drive sitting here mate. Let me know what you want me to do? And I'll say it again all hail King Boost  :notworthy: ha ha

boostinallovryou

« Reply #1279 on: October 26, 2015, 06:57:37 pm »
I have a championship 3 hard drive sitting here mate. Let me know what you want me to do? And I'll say it again all hail King Boost  :notworthy: ha ha
Hang onto that drive for a bit.  We'll work on that after tournaments are working.  Not hail me.....hail you guys.  This server would be lonely if it wasnt for you guys and girls calling into it.