Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What version of PGA do you currently own?

PGA GOLF
7 (4.3%)
CHAMPIONSHIP I
6 (3.7%)
CHAMPIONSHIP II
3 (1.8%)
CHAMPIONSHIP III
20 (12.2%)
CHALLENGE
31 (18.9%)
TEAM CHALLENGE
54 (32.9%)
TEAM CHALLENGE w/ ALL ACCESS
28 (17.1%)
I DON'T OWN A VERSION BUT WOULD LIKE TO!
15 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Author Topic: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread  (Read 539555 times)

jsmith52692

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2013, 06:02:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: PGA Tour Golf by Global VR & EA Sports Owners Thread
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2013, 12:10:22 am »
I recently ran into a PGA Championship III for free. The store was getting rid of it because there was no room for it. There is currently a problem with the cpu. The game comes up fine. And will stay on if i dont play but once i start to play about 5 to 10 minutes in the cpu shuts off. Any ideas? any help would be appreciated

stpcore

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2019, 05:48:56 pm
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2013, 09:39:25 am »
If the computer is shutting down it sounds like it may be a bad power supply. It should be an easy fix.
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:36:40 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:45 am »
check your fans make sure they spin freely. it doesn't take long to start overheating and shut off /crash on you. check the video card, the CPU, and don't forget the power supply fan too.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2013, 10:32:35 am »
check your fans make sure they spin freely. it doesn't take long to start overheating and shut off /crash on you. check the video card, the CPU, and don't forget the power supply fan too.

Excellent point.  I actually remove the tower side cover on every PGA computer to help further with cooling.  They do run especially hot.

I picked up a copy of Tiger Woods PGA Golf 06 and plan on throwing that in a computer  to see if it plays well as a standalone game in a PGA cabinet with a nice 29" LCD.
Offering commercial grade vinyl decal printing for cabinet side art, control panel overlays, monitor bezels, marquees, etc.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #324 on: October 19, 2013, 11:32:50 am »
I've been playing around with Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2006 for the PC and I have to say this looks like it will be an awesome game to put into an arcade cabinet or arcade pedestal cabinet.  The game has so many more features than PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge (even with ALL ACCESS).  There are many more game modes (including multiple custom modes, career mode, rival mode, Skins, Matchplay, Elimination, Team Challenge, etc.), additional commentary, and a HUGE list (HUNDREDS!!!!) of downloadable courses that are not even offered on the ALL ACCESS PASS arcade upgrade.  We all know that PGA Tour Golf is basically a port of Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf but I never realized how much was left out of the arcade version.  It obviously makes sense to dumb it down and take out much of the fluff in order for people to play quickly which intern allows more money to be plunked into the machine.

I was wondering how this game would interact with a trackball interface.  I tried it with a smaller PC trackball mouse and it worked remarkably well.  This game was designed to be used with a mouse or trackball using the "Trueswing" option.  Also, 2 click and 3 click button options can be used for those that prefer the shot meter method and this could be easily implemented within an arcade setup as well.

For those of you that are having problems with your card reader and cannot create or save a golfer on your PGA Tour Golf, the PC version offers you a ton of options for customizing your own golfer and it will save your golfer to the hard drive without the use of a card or a working card reader.  I find this to be convenient and is an awesome option for the career mode where you create your golfer and then have a calendar of events that you can choose to enter each month.  You will receive money for your winnings, obtain sponsors, upgrade your equipment, and try to achieve your goal of taking Tiger Woods down as the number one golfer in the world.  You can play up to 30 seasons in career mode!

I'm ordering a USB/PS2 interface Happ trackball for the PC on Monday.  I have a tower computer ready to go and will be installing Windows XP service pack 3.  I will be upgrading the ram and will be looking for a nice and affordable video card so that the game plays perfectly.  Then I'm going to order another KADE Device (I've ordered a couple of these in the past for some projects and they are awesome) in order to take the PC keyboard hot key assignments for Tiger Woods 06 and map them to arcade buttons (flyby, move golfer left/right, replay, etc.).  It will be fun to design a new control panel for this game and customize it for the new button layouts.  Then I can build a pedestal or put it into an empty PGA Tour Golf cabinet (put a 29" Vizio Razor LCD in yours if you haven't already...it's STUNNING!) and I should be good to go!

I will continue to tinker with PGA Tour Golf but to be honest, if this PC version works as well in the end as I think it will I don't know that it would be necessary to try to add courses, golfers, etc to the arcade version any longer as the PC version seems to address and supersede all of those nagging issues.  The final burden would be trying to achieve online play but I don't think that will be an option for us with these older versions with the EA servers taken offline and no other option to set up our own server that I know of.

I will be happy to keep everyone updated on this if there is any interest.  I realize this is straying a little off topic and I don't want to derail my own thread so I may start another thread for this project.  Any questions, suggestions, or concerns would be appreciated.  I would rather complete this project correctly the first time versus finding out I made a major mistake after completion.

I hope that everyone is doing well and I look forward to any correspondence!

dirt

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 11:06:57 pm
« Reply #325 on: October 19, 2013, 12:11:24 pm »
Hey guys, sorry for dropping out for awhile. I have had some personal stuff ive had to deal with. I havent even fired up my games in a month or 2.

the tiger woods PC idea sounds great. Ive already got everything needed to try it here except the software. I think I will get it and convert my pga to tiger woods. After all the problems ive had with the pga computers im to the point of giving up anyway. Ill buy the software and keep you up to date on how its going.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

WANTED: NINTENDO CABINETS WORKING OR NOT

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #326 on: October 19, 2013, 12:24:12 pm »
Picked up mine (Tiger Woods Golf 06 PC version) on eBay for about $10 if I remember.  Let me know how you are coming along and I will do the same.  Hope everything is going well on your end.

dirt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #327 on: October 19, 2013, 12:46:44 pm »
Its been a rough couple months but im finally past it. Ill get on Ebay and buy it today. This really does sound like a solution to me.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #328 on: October 19, 2013, 12:50:54 pm »
Dirt, if you have a dedicated PGA Tour Golf cabinet look into taking out your 27" CRT and putting the 29" Vizio Razor LCD in there.  The difference is night and day and to put it bluntly the game looks bad ass with that LCD in the cabinet.  The 26" looks too small but the extra width of the PGA cabinets will allow for that specific 29" LCD to fit like a glove.

dirt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #329 on: October 19, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »
Thats a good idea. if the tiger woods works good ill definitely swap out the crt.

dirt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #330 on: October 19, 2013, 03:29:30 pm »
I just bought tiger woods 2007 for $23.

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #331 on: October 19, 2013, 03:36:01 pm »
Let me know if it works well.  I stayed with 2006 because it was the latest version that I could find that I new would support the trackball well.  If 2007 supports the trackball then I will be grabbing that too.  In fact, I was going to try 2006 and if it worked I was then going to try 07, then 08, etc. until trackball support wasn't working well any longer.  Please let me know how it works on your end!  So far Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2006 for PC is making PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge with ALL ACCESS PASS seem like a demo, ha!

dirt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: October 19, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
Ill let you know as soon as it gets here. I didnt know there might be a trackball issue.

Slimonce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2022, 06:02:55 pm
« Reply #333 on: October 26, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »
i'm very interested in what you guys are doing.  Please keep in this thread and let us know progress.  I've been pretty bummed I can't save players and this would get us there.  Still wishing for online play!!!!  I played the crap out of 08 on the wii and loved it  if we can do that w a track ball thats pretty sweet!

Spitfire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2023, 07:55:31 am
« Reply #334 on: October 27, 2013, 04:56:32 am »
Hi guys,
Great to see you guys are still going strong with ur machines and all the great things u r doing with them.
I have just recently added tiger woods 2008 to my multicade machine using an arcade betson trackball linked to an ultimarc optipac also added left n right mouse buttons through the optipac.
The game plays perfectly with this setup and I am going to try online play soon through direct ip link option in the game will keep you posted.

Thx Spifire

slapchop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2014, 09:41:26 am
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2013, 12:41:39 am »
HELLO ALL just got given an pga championship 3 arcade machine and have ordered  the wrong game load cds they sent me team challenge disks has anyone got the pga championship 3 install cds I have no idea where to start with trying to get this thing to work 

slapchop

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: October 28, 2013, 12:46:27 am »
here is a pic of what was given to me

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2020, 12:46:05 am
« Reply #337 on: October 28, 2013, 12:39:07 pm »
Could anyone give me a PM, to setup a phone call with me to get 3 of these machines working?

I've got 2 Team Challenges and a Championship.

I can't get any of them to work properly.

It would be much easier to handle it one on one, one machine at a time. Could someone please give me a PM?

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #338 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:59 pm »
If I wanted to reformat ther hard drive, and reinstall the golf software, what would be the process?

I have the tournament version disc 1 of 1, and disc 2 of 2.

I tried rebooting with disc 1/1 in the drive, and it reinstalls "something" but then gives me a BSOD when I reboot.

I tried disc 2/2 and it never starts the installer.

I also tried to get to disc 2/2 after installing disc 1/1 before rebooting, and I can see the exe files, but none of them work. THey all say "cannot be run in DOS mode".

I am very versed on PC repair (owned my own shop since 1997) but I lost interest, and now I'm doing the arcade machines.

Any help would be appreciated!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #339 on: October 28, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »
you should have a system specific OS install disk that you have to install first.

this installs the operating system and drivers for the computer. then after you reboot you get prompted to install the game disk 1/2 and then 2/2.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »
I didn't see one of those, but with about a dozen of these machines on site, I could probably come up with one.

If not, could someone sell and ship one to me?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2013, 07:23:25 pm »
you'd have to find out which system you have (DFI landmark series etc.) as the OS only has drivers for that SPECIFIC computer installed.

the OS disk is a stripped down version of a windows XP install that has all the support stipped out of it. Basically if you wanted to plug in a USB keyboard into it, you'd likely run into driver issues.

the OS has a call in the boot that autoruns and says to insert the game disk 1 to install the rest of the software.

if you have issues obtaining an OS install disk, i'm sure one of us here might have it someplace...just make sure to post what system it is so we can match it to the proper disk.

IIRC global VR sells a disk for the OS install that has all the appropriate drivers for all the systems they built for these cabinets. (IE not system specific)

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2013, 07:44:33 pm »
Can you be a little more specific on where I would find what system I have?

The reason I am asking is that I've picked and pulled enough parts from 3 systems to get a fully operational system, but it takes forever to boot into the game.

The hard drive from the Championship machine is the one that I'd really like to get working.

So let me ask this...

Does the IO board have to match the Dongle? And does that have to match the hard drive?

From my understanding, the hard drive has the OS (duh) which has the golf software for the particular games. The dongle is just a key to authenticate the software. And io card is just a way to get the controls to be read by the pc.

Also, is a Jamma board required for this? One of the games has a Jamma board that the controls go to, then to the io board. The other machines has the controls going directly to the io board.

I think I need to take more pics of these machines! I'm confusing myself now.

slapchop

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:29 am »
Ok had I look what is  in the pc box and these are all the parts I have team challenge cd set including recovery cd but this will not load at all says conflict with graphics card and its a championship 3 machine and the cds I have are pga golf team challenge. I need all the help I can get thanks all and  Thank god for this site am reading so much learning heaps as my pc now how is for the tip
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:40:17 am by slapchop »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #344 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:02 am »
sarver systems, you have a sticker of some kind on the case someplace that has the model of computer. for instance the computer shown in the post of slapchop above, you can see it says "PS35-BL" this means it's a "DFI PS35-BL"

the IO board doesn't matter

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:39 am »
OK, perfect. I saw oneof the ioboards was a "superio" I think it said. The other 2 were the same.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2013, 12:38:16 pm »
yes, global went through a bunch of iterations of this machine, changing hardware as supplies dried up. this is why there is 3 or 4 different motherboards 2 or 3 different video cards, and a couple different IO boards.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:19 pm »
Is there a master list somewhere that says "For this model, use this video card, this dongle, this software, etc..."

The reason I ask is, I know there are more of these machines in another room that I haven't even looked at yet, and I'm sure some of them have already been parted out partially.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2013, 03:02:03 pm »
if you want to get technical, they are basically all the same/similar. the videocards are different but the chip is the same. motherboards use a similar chipset but different sound chips etc.

i belive stpcore put together another thread (or maybe the begining of this one...it's been a while) with installing XP pro on the computer to have better compatibility across the parts and/or replacement parts. ed12 did a thread as well but it sort of got off track. you could have a look through that one as well.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:45 pm »
Installing XP, and then installing the golf game would be ideal.

I will be looking for that tutorial now.

If I recall, the golf game is running Win98 currently.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #350 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:12 pm »
If I recall, the golf game is running Win98 currently.

it's xp. it just looks like it's win98 because the xp "skin" that make it look like windows xp is not installed. so it has a basic win98 look to it with the plain start menu, plain windows etc.

like i mentioned before, this is install is called "XPe" or "Windows XP Embedded" XPe retains the very basic necessities of windows operation and that's it. nothing else. this keeps the install size down CONSIDERABLY.  (down to under 32mb in some cases) as such there is no driver support other than what the original equipment manufacturers put in the OS. so adding anything results in windows flipping out because there is no drivers available for anything you'd hook up. this also reduces the chance that somebody could attack or hack the machine, for instance loading a virus or hack onto a USB stick and loading it into the system...since the OS would need to load a driver for the USB device to access it.

you'd be surprised at what kinds of things actually run XPe. ATM machines, Cable boxes, Car radios, Cash registers, GPS devices... the list goes on. The requirement that microsoft has with XPe is that the end user never see the windows itself and that the OS boot straight to the software.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: October 29, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »
SO let me ask this then....

Boot the machine with an XP disc.
Load XP.
Install the necessary drivers (video, USB, etc...)
Insert disc 1, load the golf software.
Install disc 2, load whatever is on the disc.
Profit?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: October 29, 2013, 05:55:03 pm »
sort of.

I don't know much about trying to load XP on the stock hardware. I tried following the original thread and got confused. but, I'm guessing you could...there is a hercules software program that apparently does some calls around the system (i guess in an effort to ensure the proper hardware was being run or that the security dongle is still good or something) it can't hurt to try though since you have original hardware.

There where plans at one time(original ed thread) to fix the software to have it run on any system...remove the dongle calls so you didn't need the security dongle any more... insert extra players into the game...and on and on and on. FYI this is where the original PGA thread sort of degraded and started getting off track and people in the thread started going crazy and eating each other and everything came to a head.

i'm sure in a bit stpcore will chime in...he knows WAY more about the system and what you would need to do in this instance.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #353 on: October 29, 2013, 06:53:45 pm »
Doing away with the dingle would be AWESOME!

stpcore

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: October 29, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »
I don't have much time to go into anything this evening but I was just reading through the most recent posts and wanted to chime in.

What I ended up doing was a fresh install of PGA (with the original recovery CD that contains the XPE and install CDs) in a Dell Optiplex computer (search earlier in this thread for more info).  The Optiplex runs much better than the original computers that Global VR used.  I had to install the TI4200 graphics card and the I/O board as well installing a couple drivers manually to the Optiplex and these things run like a champ.  In one Optiplex I was able to install an upgraded graphics card and can output via HDMI is is convenient.

If anyone is missing a CD please PM me as I have just about anything you can imagine for PGA and installs.

I will make it a point to check PMs tomorrow and peek in on this thread and offer any assistance I can.

SPITFIRE: Let me know if you are successful in the online play.  I am going to finish up this PGA Golf 2006 PC version and then try 2008 since you said it's running well.  I'm also going to give 2005 a try as it seems that may be the CLOSEST (menus, setup, graphics, etc.) version of PGA Tour Golf Team Challenge.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
I've got Disc 1/1 and Disc 2/2. I don't have an OS disc. Unless its buried in another machine that I haven't touched yet.

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2017, 08:52:01 am
« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »
I just recently purchased a PGA tour Team Challenge machine at an auction. The machine had PGA Challenge installed on it but I found the Team Challenge discs in the back of the machine so I installed them but found out after I did that I have the PGA Challenge Dongle instead of Team Challenge. Does anyone know someone that is selling the Team Challenge dongle?

By the way I have read through all the post on this post and the others and love the interaction that group has going on and I cant wait to participate and get involved

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2013, 12:03:31 am »
Depending on what I can get working, and what I can't...I have 2 dongles for you.

What's the going price on 1 of these anyways? I wanna help out as much as I can, but I need to be fair for both of us.

TheSherman8or

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2017, 08:52:01 am
« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:33 am »
The only place I have found for sale is by one company on ebay. They wanted $149.00 for the dongle and the installation discs. Thats why I figured I would try here and see what you guys had.

Sarver Systems

• Offline Offline
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2013, 08:33:53 am »
I'll get with him over the weekend and see what he wants to do.

I think he wants to convert some of these over to multi's. If he does. that would free up a dongle.