Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovy mame questions>Monitor\Hi score support~no nag  (Read 5626 times)

gargoyle67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2013, 05:28:17 pm
Groovy mame questions>Monitor\Hi score support~no nag
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:35:35 am »
I'm just about to setup my mame pc just before I install it back into my cab as I've just fitted a new crt screen  :D I've been trying to assemble all the info needed to install groovy mame correctly but can't seem to find a definitive step by step tutorial, Apologies in advance if I've missed it & please point me to one  :-\

My system details are>
OS XP64, Graphics card ATI radeon HD 4350, CRT monitor is called "Monitor by Electronic systems" made in Florence Italy it has "Mod. Pico 25" automatic dual frequency 15-25 KHz Muti CRT" written on the sheet that came with it but nothing about the various scan rates.
So my questions are:

How do I find out what settings to select in the mame.ini for my monitor's scan settings, Would a setting of just the generic "generic_15" suffice or would "arcade_15" be the correct one ?  ???
I've installed the "crt_emudriver_9.3_1.2a_x64_multisync.rar" I'm guessing that after a reboot that I'm not supposed be able to view my xp windows on my setup lcd monitor as it puts the system into 15k mode ?
currently I can still view my desktop with the drivers installed, I read somewhere on here that the drivers prob haven't installed properly as I can still view my desktop on lcd setup monitor after reboot ? I'm guessing I've had so much junk on and off my xp64 setup that I need a fresh OS install ?

Does Groovy mame have hiscore support\no nag diff installed by default or will I have to compile a version with the diff ? I take it that all I need do is get the correct mame source code and add "0147u3_groovymame_014.diff" to create my own build of the new Groovy mame?

I use Hyperspin as my front end and read on the forum that I need to add something to limit the display modes to 160 as Hyperspin doesn't support above that,  Was it magic something that I need to add to the mame.ini ?

I also read that I need to install a normal mame64 then delete it and rename Groovy mame to mame64 , is that so it just creates the correct directory structure on my HD ?

Thanks  :cheers:
Few shots of my mame system\crt

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:55:48 pm by gargoyle67 »

cack01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2023, 11:49:55 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Groovy mame questions>Monitor\Hi score support~no nag
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »
Hi,

I can't help you with the .ini config with regards to 15k-25k modes, but I think arcade_15_25 should be the preset you use (not the arcade_15 one). 

Groovymame does have hiscore and nonag support.  Turn those setting to "1" in the ini.  Make the ini by doing mamefile.exe -cc (just replace mamefile with your filename).
You will need to use magic resolutions in Groovymame to support HyperSpin 1.0.
You should be able to just install groovymame.  I have never had to use another version to create the directory structure.  If for some reason this is an issue just look at the groovymame.ini file and it will show you what subdirectories it is looking for. i.e. roms, diff, ini.  basically C:\groovymame\roms

gargoyle67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:41:27 pm »
Thanks for the info cack01,
I'll wait and see if anybody else can answer my other questions so I can get this running at optimum if at all possible ;)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:47:48 am »
Hi gargoyle67,

I've installed the "crt_emudriver_9.3_1.2a_x64_multisync.rar" I'm guessing that after a reboot that I'm not supposed be able to view my xp windows on my setup lcd monitor as it puts the system into 15k mode ?
currently I can still view my desktop with the drivers installed, I read somewhere on here that the drivers prob haven't installed properly as I can still view my desktop on lcd setup monitor after reboot ? I'm guessing I've had so much junk on and off my xp64 setup that I need a fresh OS install ?

No, that's not true. You are supposed to view Windows on a LCD monitor after installing CRT_Emudriver, we're not blocking any useful resolution, we're just adding some 15 kHz resolutions, you need to select one of them to actually have a 15 kHz output. Enter Arcade_OSD and check if those 15 kHz resolutions are there, then pick one of them that's convenient and set it as 'desktop mode' to make it persistent.

NOTE: To have 15kHz enabled right after booting, as advertised, you previously need to have set your desktop to 640x480@60.

I use Hyperspin as my front end and read on the forum that I need to add something to limit the display modes to 160 as Hyperspin doesn't support above that,  Was it magic something that I need to add to the mame.ini ?

Download the last VMMaker (1.3c). Inside vmmaker.ini, point to your GM's executable and set the option ModeTableMethod_XML = 2. Then run vmmaker and restart. Now you have magic resolutions support for GM. Just make sure that 'video d3d' is enabled in mame.ini
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:54:20 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

gargoyle67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:16:17 am »
Many thanks Calamity  :cheers:

gargoyle67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:15 am »
Just checked my Arcade OSD after installing the 9.3_1.2a_x64_multisync drivers and it shows that the CRT_EmuDriver is found but I'm not seeing any 15kHz modes in the video modes selection on my lcd setup monitor ?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
Sometimes the driver doesn't get installed properly. Anyway, try running VMMaker (config it first), that will attempt to create the modes again. Then restart.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

gargoyle67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »
Thanks buddy, Quick question should I leave the Monitor type on "custom" in VMMaker or select "GENERIC" or "MULTI" ?
EDIT**Just read "Additionally, and opposite to GroovyMAME, VMMaker needs the MonitorType = "CUSTOM" option in order to process any monitor_specs lines."
 :-[
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:10:53 pm by gargoyle67 »

gargoyle67

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:16:26 pm »
Showing all custom 15KHz modes now  :applaud: Many thanks Calamity and cack01 for your help  :cheers: