Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "ESS DOS Audio Drivers" or "Anyone need a doorstop?"  (Read 820 times)

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
"ESS DOS Audio Drivers" or "Anyone need a doorstop?"
« on: October 30, 2003, 11:16:08 am »
I have been working on a cab for my wife's cousin.

I am using an old Compaq Presario that he has.  The CPU is only 200mhz, so it has to run in DOS mode.

I had everything working, and then I noticed that the sound would quit working after launching a few games. Now the sound does not work at all in DOS.  It works just fine in windows.

The sound is an onboard ESS1888 chip set.i have searched the web and the ESS technology website. I did find a set of drivers through DriverGuide.com that are supposed to work, but I cant get them to find the audio device.

Does anyone know how to get this set up to work in DOS?

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

creatine28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2012, 03:41:48 pm
  • Which way to the Arcade?
Re:"ESS DOS Audio Drivers" or "Anyone need a doorstop?"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 12:30:20 pm »
I had a lot of problems with my Compaq system working in dos,  what I ended up doing is disabling the on board sound and bought a cheap Sound Blaster 16 PCI card and the problem went away.

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
Re:"ESS DOS Audio Drivers" or "Anyone need a doorstop?"
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 12:44:48 pm »
I tried that last night!

I could not get the machine to recognise the PCI card at all!

I really dont like the "seperate daughter board on a removable frame setup" that this box has for the PCI and ISA slots. I think there is something wrong with it, he had a lot of trouble gatting a modem card to work back when this was his primary PC.

I have another HP 233mhz machine that I know works perfectly.  I am going to give him that for now.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility