Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: epsxe control preferences?  (Read 8007 times)

pmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
epsxe control preferences?
« on: October 29, 2003, 04:12:54 am »
Where does epsxe (1.60) store gamepad prefs?

I have it set up to use my arcade controls via an IPAC, but recently bought a PSX to USB converter so that I can reasonably play games that make heavy use of L1, L2, R1, and R2 and are really meant to be played on the orginal controller.

So I want two MAMEWAH entries... one for epsxe using arcade controls (for shooters and what-not), and one entry for epsxe using a PSX controller (for games like Technu and Tombraider).

Using two different binaries in two different install folders did not work for me. I can't find a .ini or .cfg file. Any idea how to do this? A better way?

TIA. Patrick.

g3rg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2003, 03:09:22 am
  • Marsupalami tastes great with cheese
Re:epsxe control preferences?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 08:55:21 am »
If you are still wondering about this, its in the registry, something like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EPSXE\CONFIG / HKEY__USERS\SOFTWARE\EPSXE\CONFIG....

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 02:02:13 pm »
If you are still wondering about this, its in the registry, something like HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\EPSXE\CONFIG / HKEY__USERS\SOFTWARE\EPSXE\CONFIG....

Thanks for the response! At least it tells me wht I can't do! Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to do to get the effect I want.

I know many of you hacked your controllers to work with a keyboard encoder... but I really like the USB converter and I can put it on my regular PC and play ePSXe any time I want with a stock controller. I get great portability. But at the same time, alot of the shooters that only use 1, 2, or 3 buttons play AWESOME on real arcade controls. So what I do now is map back and forth between the USB converter (for use with the stock controller) and the arcade controls via IPAC. What a pain in the ass! Is there an easier way??

I hope that this bump to the top of the list baits out some responses. I've been busy as hell with other stuff hence the original query in OCT, a response in NOV, and my follow-up in DEC! Thank goodness for SEARCH!  ;D

Meantime... I guess I'll see if I can hack those Registry keys without ill effect....

- Patrick.

g3rg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2003, 03:09:22 am
  • Marsupalami tastes great with cheese
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 08:42:04 am »
Okay, easiest way to do it (without someone writing something to do it) is:

* Setup epsxe one of the ways you want it
* quit epsxe
* run "regedit"
* search for "epsxe", you should find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\epsxe branch
* right click in the tree view and choose "export"
* save it with a name reflecting the config e.g. 'Arcade_Controller.reg', 'PSX_Controller.reg'
* close regedit and repeat however many different configs you need...

Then, change your frontend to call this line first (put in batch file or whatever, consult your frontends doco for how to):

"regedit /s c:\temp\PSX_Controller.reg"

(substitute the proper config file of course)
Having epsxe run after this will pick up the correct config from the registry. The '/s' stops regedit from popping up message boxes...

Hope that helps and isnt too confusing

-- DISCLAIMER - NOT MY FAULT IF YOU BUNG AROUND IN REGEDIT AND FARK YOUR SYSTEM, FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE FINE THOUGH --

pmc

• Offline Offline
    • website
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 08:12:29 pm »
Okay, easiest way to do it (without someone writing something to do it) is:

[....]

-- DISCLAIMER - NOT MY FAULT IF YOU BUNG AROUND IN REGEDIT AND FARK YOUR SYSTEM, FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS SHOULD BE FINE THOUGH --

Very cool. It sounds like you are basically offering up the custom registry key as an argument when you run the executable? You rewrite the registry with the desired config every time you run? Cool. I can see that working. But it does indeed make me nervous -- running regedit from a batch file called from a front-end. That'll never burn me!  :D

OK... I'll muck with that idea and peck around for alternatives to the same concept. Thanks for planting this seed!

- Patrick

Silent Bomber is pretty cool....